• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there any way to display the Design View in fluid grid pages?

Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2014 Oct 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrading to the newest version of DW CC 2014, I noticed that the Design View is disabled in Fluid Grid pages. You can only use the Live View to edit those pages. The Design/Live button displays on non-fluid pages.

I'm wondering if there is a work-around to allow Design View editing on fluid pages. It is a major hassle to try to edit some things in the Live View. It would nice to have a choice.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 12, 2014 Oct 12, 2014

@Ron

Ron, thanks for your idea.  I just tried this to my fluid grid css file, and it worked!  The odd thing (at least in my mind) is that the code (shown below) is commented out.  So, even though my web pages ignore this commented out code, Dreamweaver does not... it uses it to control how the Dreamweaver program operates. Well, I guess that this can happen.  This code acts like a "directive" to the Dreamweaver program.

One noticeable change is that in Live view I no longer see the grey strips sho

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 265 Replies 265
Participant ,
Jan 06, 2015 Jan 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that I have fluid grids is there a way to convert the sites to non fluid grid with css options for computer, tablet and phone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're under no obligation to use FGLayouts.  You could rebuild with a different RWD framework like these:

Foundation Zurb

http://foundation.zurb.com/templates.php

Skeleton Boilerplate

http://www.getskeleton.com/

Initializr (HTML5 Boilerplate, Responsive or Bootstrap)

http://www.initializr.com/

DMX Zone's Bootstrap FREE extension for DW

http://www.dmxzone.com/go/21759/dmxzone-bootstrap/

Project Seven's Responsive Page Packs (Commercial CSS Templates)

http://www.projectseven.com/products/templates/index.htm

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know if any of these templates take a fluid grid site and convert it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I do know.  And the answer is no.  They are completely different RWD frameworks.

Nancy O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2014 Oct 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot understand the logic here. There must be many previously useful options that are now unavailable such as right-clicking for a mini-menu to select opening the linked page (or whatever) from an a href. Since the element is 'live' so just 'selecting' it by mouse/pointer initiates whatever action it is coded for. Are we supposed to right-click the link/image, hunt out the code, select the link, make a right-click and then select 'Open'?

As the start (Welcome) page eg offers the opportunity to create a Fluid-Grid layout not everyone at Dreamweaver feels it is an out-dated concept presumably.

Is there no way the Design view can be bought back?

Also, restricting the rendering to Chromium (Chrome/Safari) constraints ain't helping me design for my clients as all of them use IE or Firefox, even those with Macs.

Is there no way the Design view can be bought back?

If not, how do I roll-back my copy to CC2014?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beezoid wrote:

If not, how do I roll-back my copy to CC2014?

Open the Creative Cloud Desktop App

Click the Apps tab

Scroll down and click Filters & Versions

Choose Previous Versions

The DW Install icon should now have an arrow on it allowing you to get older versions

I haven't updated to 2014.1 yet, so I'm not 100% sure it will be there, but it should be, if it exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jon for this Tip.

Im going back to cc2014...  Waisted half a day with a client because the issues with the latest version and removing design view. And keep getting "Renderer/Plugin process crashed". I will wait for 2014.2 if I was you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanx for the tip Jon. Unfortunately 2014.0 is not there, only cs6 (v12) or cc (v13) which I had kept on disk so all I can do is uninstall 2014 and hope for the best (or maybe 2014.2). At least I have 2014.0 on the Windows machine and thankfully not yet "upgraded".

'tis all a pity since many of the changes did look like upsides. And of course a whole day's lost work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone from Adobe know about these complaints and problems, or are we just complaining among ourselves? How can we reach those with influence in the company? Perhaps Adobe is just too big to care.

I'm still looking for a work-around besides editing in CS6. I've used a parallel CSS file to disable the fluid grid while I'm working on my files. Perhaps using a non-Adobe version of responsive web pages would be worth looking into.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possible work-around:

I deleted:

Dreamweaver Fluid Grid Properties
----------------------------------
dw-num-cols-mobile:4;
dw-num-cols-tablet:8;
dw-num-cols-desktop:12;
dw-gutter-percentage:25;

from my CSS file.. The Design/Live toggle now appears and works, as does Spell Check. Also, the page still seems responsive and fluid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2014 Oct 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ron Kurtus wrote:

Possible work-around:

I deleted:

dw-num-cols-mobile: 4;
dw-num-cols-tablet: 8;
dw-num-cols-desktop: 12;
dw-gutter-percentage: 25;

from my CSS file.. The Design/Live toggle now appears and works, as does Spell Check. Also, the page still seems responsive and fluid.

Thanks Ron, but that render the fluid grids un-editable.  We just need Design View back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2014 Oct 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that we need the option to use the Design View in fluid grid pages, as opposed to having Adobe force their way on us.

However, if there is a need to edit the fluid grids, you can always paste the deleted hidden DW code back into the CSS file until you get the format as you want it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2014 Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope by replying to this earlier post of Oct 9th, the most helpful observation in this stream, it can be high-lighted again.

As Ron states, find the "offending" COMMENTED code in the controlling CSS file, zap it out, save the file and, hey presto! Design view is back (albeit as part of a menu item shared with 'live') but you'll need to close and re-open your page. As the change is to a CSS any other pages under its control will have Design view when they are opened.

I found the spell-check available also.

Only downside that I've found is the 'grids' are gone in the work-space. And I've not yet created a fluid page from scratch again so maybe there will be a problem then??

As an aside, what I did was to create a duplicate of the CSS file, so that I could get back to it when Adobe sort the problem, before zapping the lines of code from the original.

Hope this helps and thanks again to Ron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2014 Nov 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possible work-around:

I deleted:

dw-num-cols-mobile: 4;
dw-num-cols-tablet: 8;
dw-num-cols-desktop: 12;
dw-gutter-percentage: 25;

I do like this workaround, I duplicated my css file and deleted these properties. Now I can work FASTER, if I need live view or edit the responsive design I could copy back the deleted lines (and close and re open DW).

Hope Adobe understands that we, users, want options, and not to be forced to work the way they think we must work.

Just my humble opinion.

I just realized that deleting these lines will get back the LIVE/DESING options, so I guess the only thing Adobe should do is activate these options regardless of the fluid grid properties is present or not in the css file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2014 Nov 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing. Works like a treat - even writes the code better.

Adobe - WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here is the thread that nancy posted a link to

Message from the Dreamweaver Product team

rajnishbEmployeeAdmins

Now that the October release is out, we have collected significant feedback from our users. Based on the feedback, we would like to share our thinking

in terms of the short/mid-term road-map of the product.

We are currently focused on the following vectors :

• Responsive Design
  • Code View
  • Live View enhancements

Responsive Design

The number of Dreamweaver users that are creating responsive sites in increasing by the day. We intend to provide better tooling to make you more efficient.

We are exploring ways to visualize media queries, support for prominent open source frameworks and starter templates.

Code View

We would invest in making the coding surface, modern. In addition, we intend  to bring new tooling around CSS pre-processors.

Please expect some significant improvements in the next version of Dreamweaver. The intent here is to increase your productivity.

Live View

As most of you would be aware, Live View uses the same rendering surface that's used by Chrome.

This allows us to provide accurate rendering experience of your code. We will continue to invest in improving Live View.

We understand there has been some concern related to Design View's future. We are working on prioritizing critical Design View specific workflows and bring them to Live View.

You will see new innovative features coming out in the forthcoming releases. We welcome your feedback on the road-map.

I hope this post gives you visibility on where Dreamweaver is going.

Best regards,

Rajnish Bharti

Senior Product Manager

Does anyone  working on this project user Dreamweaver ???????

I can tell you that anyone using 14.1 is not increasing the numbers of live view users, actually quite the opposite, how can someone buy into a tool to create a design when the tool is broken~ I have to call shenanigans on that statement,

the quick entry on responsive design is purely dismissive of a huge glaring zit on the nose problem with dreamweaver in it's current form. This thread did not drive the point home , and apparently Subhadeep didn't bother escalating this to the devs. though I never thought he would~~

OK anyone else~~  WTF does this mean "We understand there has been some concern related to Design View's future. We are working on prioritizing critical Design View specific workflows and bring them to Live View."

Is it to much to have our issues directly addressed, rather than to be dismissed with half answers, or no answer at all , have out support concerns given to Subhadeep~

I now understand how a unwanted step child feels, Thanks Adobe

Does it bother anyone that we have been posting in this thread and yet Nancy is the one to bring links to surveys and future plans to us~ Subhadeep didnt even bother

Rage~~

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so this thread has been going nearly 2 months, little shorter than when paying adobe clients were downgraded to paying alpha testers

We finally get this

185. Re: Is there any way to display the Design View in fluid grid pages?

PreranEmployee Hosts

To add to what Nancy said, this discussion here has provided us with insights into issues that you are facing with Live view for Fluid Grid Layouts.

OMFG are you serious right now, so how long exactly are we supposed to attempt work with broken software

Preran , did you read this thread??????~ are you OK with us paying for alpha/beta level software~

Do you think that this is an acceptable way to treat long term customers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not need to work with broken software. Download and work with the June release of CC 2014 until 2014.1 is finished...

PC: http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/dreamweaver/win/cc/Dreamweaver_14_LS20.exe

Mac: http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/dreamweaver/mac/cc/Dreamweaver_14_LS20.dmg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John

You are correct but then doesn't it follow from that  that we should not have to pay for broken software ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's buggy to some people isn't necessarily a problem for others, though. It really depends on your workflow. 

Both Mavericks and Yosemite went through the rigors of beta testing, still the public releases came out with significant bugs.  Microsoft is no different.   I think the rush to get upgrades out the door has resulted in many things not being fixed at launch.  Such is life in the 21st century.

Nancy O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy O. wrote:

What's buggy to some people isn't necessarily a problem for others, though. It really depends on your workflow.

Both Mavericks and Yosemite went through the rigors of beta testing, still the public releases came out with significant bugs.  Microsoft is no different.   I think the rush to get upgrades out the door has resulted in many things not being fixed at launch.  Such is life in the 21st century.

Nancy O.

Nancy,

This thread is about fluid grid design, you are completely wrong it is buggy for everyone,

If a major point release is not ready for public use, it should be used as alpha/beta level releases , not production release , that is the point that I have attempted to make over and over,

A production level release was put out, IT IS NOT working software~ Microsoft is no different , when they finally arrive at a patched debugged system , the start on next crap release,

Instead of paying for a copy of Dreamweaver like I have in the past, I got on board with CC, I am not a beta tester, I am a paying client, I have a machine with Windows 10 on it, Microsoft did not charge me to be a beta tester~

If I am to beta test, I want my subscription cost suspended until a stable release is available

There is nothing that you can say/post that will make 2014.1 right,

////////////////////////////////////////

Preran,

This is the first near acceptable answer that has been posted here, I agree that many of my statements may have been unfair , I own that, but I hope you understand the level of frustration that that many design professionals have expressed in here,

my comments were meant to incite a response, and unfortunately until now nothing of substance has been presented to us as a group of concerned users, all any of us want, in your words "to incorporate user requests, quick fixes, and course corrections"

that is what we have all been saying, but you must agree that there has been nothing quick at all , I have had to downgrade my software to keep my production active.

From Staff we have only had Subhadeep soft pedaling requesting beta feedback (requesting documents and examples), I did not make up my comments about beta, I have beta tested software for 20 years , and Subhadeep asked for beta level feedback from this forum, fair maybe not, honest~~~

I do look forward to hearing from development,  but come on give us something, until the links nancy a non staff member posted , this thread had no official recognition from or by adobe~~ I want nothing more than to stop my trolling of this forum , and just get back to work, in 15 years of use of Dreamweaver I have never posted in official forums before, I SO WANT to just get back to that..

nuff said~~

Hi Mark,

To add to what Jon said, unlike in the past, there are previous versions available when you run into issues with the latest version. I am a Dreamweaver and CC user myself, and I find the current system to work for me pretty well. I get new features and bug fixes periodically unlike in the past where I had to wait almost a year and half for those.

To call the software Beta versions is, in my opinion, very unfair.  In a rapidly changing environment, CC allows users to keep abreast of the latest standards and workflows. It also provides us with the flexibility to incorporate user requests, quick fixes, and course corrections, as and when required.

Like I said, we are monitoring this discussion for feedback, and are looking at the issues that we need to fix in the next release. The roadmap clearly has responsive design on its mind.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark,

I get that from where you sit, 2014.1 may seem like an incomplete beta product.  But it isn't. Given that this release doesn't quite work for a select group does not render the entire product useless for everyone.  Otherwise everyone would be complaining about it in the forums. As a Cloud member, you still have complete versions of CS6, CC13 and CC 2014 at your finger tips.  So you're not exactly paying for something and getting nothing in return. 

Requests for constructive feedback are the only logical way developers can arrive at relevant fixes.  You're new to the forums and so you may not be familiar with this historic precedent.  I can assure you, the forums & bug reporting form has always asked people to provide relevant crash logs, details, source files, etc... to help the team recreate a reported problem in their lab.  Ray and others here have demonstrated an open  willingness to cooperate with the Development Team.   It's unfortunate you don't share a similar attitude. I get that you're unhappy, Mark, but p*ss & vinegar goes just so far.  After a while it merely stinks & repels people. 

Nancy O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy O. wrote:

Mark,

I get that from where you sit, 2014.1 may seem like an incomplete beta product.  But it isn't. Given that this release doesn't quite work for a select group does not render the entire product useless for everyone.  Otherwise everyone would be complaining about it in the forums. As a Cloud member, you still have complete versions of CS6, CC13 and CC 2014 at your finger tips.  So you're not exactly paying for something and getting nothing in return.

Requests for constructive feedback are the only logical way developers can arrive at relevant fixes.  You're new to the forums and so you may not be familiar with this historic precedent.  I can assure you, the forums & bug reporting form has always asked people to provide relevant crash logs, details, source files, etc... to help the team recreate a reported problem in their lab.  Ray and others here have demonstrated an open  willingness to cooperate with the Development Team.   It's unfortunate you don't share a similar attitude. I get that you're unhappy, Mark, but p*ss & vinegar goes just so far.  After a while it merely stinks & repels people.

Nancy O.

Nancy,

As I have said I am using an OLD version, your yourself do not even use this version that this thread is about, so you are overwhelmingly unqualified to speak on this topic.

please cease with the deconstructive replies , they are unnecessary, you have said nothing of value here, and this thread  and your replies are only about increasing your post count,,,,,

just stop~~

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2014 Nov 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

your replies are only about increasing your post count

Post counts are meaningless.  I've helped more people in the past week than you have in your entire time here.  At least I contribute something positive to the community.  I can't see where your remarks have contributed anything but negativity and ill-will towards the development team.  How is that to be construed except to expose you for the troll that you are.  And this is further evidenced by your profile photo.  How can anyone take this troll seriously?

profile-image-display.jspa?imageID=40673&size=200

I am using an OLD version

By your own fuzzy logic, that makes YOU overwhelmingly unqualified to post here.  Ok, good.  Have a nice Thanksgiving troll and don't choke on your dinner.

Nancy O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2014 Nov 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

owww,

I would not wish choking on you , I hope only that you have a pleasant holiday

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines