• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue with using Extensions and Add-Ons in DW

Mentor ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you rely on extensions or add-ons, DO NOT allow the Dreamweaver 19 update to occur.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Hello,

If you have run into an issue that the extensions installed from older versions of Dreamweaver do not show up after uninstall and re-install of Dreamweaver CC 2019, here are a set of steps that will help make the acquired extensions available in Dreamweaver 2019.

Note:

1. This will work only for the extensions that support Dreamweaver CC 2019 and were installed via the Adobe Exchange platform or using the ExManCMD tool.
  2. If you are using a Third party extension installer that does not use ExManC

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So now you know, blame me if you wish, but the old SB's had to go

i don't know what your point is, I'm not saying the old SBs should have stayed, the SBs needed to be replaced with an up to date alternative, regardless of how long it took for the penny to drop with Adobe, instead users ONLY had the option of spending more money on third party extensions .... Do you remember the PHAKT extension? ... it utilized PHP ADODB ... That could have been updated, I believe the Interakt people work for for Adobe.

I'm pretty sure it was common knowledge where PHP was going and the fact that the MySQL extension was outgoing.

....And whats my post got to do with the NDA, I assume it stands for Non Disclosure Agreement ?

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Energize  wrote

So now you know, blame me if you wish, but the old SB's had to go

i don't know what your point is, I'm not saying the old SBs should have stayed, the SBs needed to be replaced with an up to date alternative, regardless of how long it took for the penny to drop with Adobe, instead users ONLY had the option of spending more money on third party extensions .... Do you remember the PHAKT extension? ... it utilized PHP ADODB ... That could have been updated, I believe the Interakt people work for for Adobe.

I'm pretty sure it was common knowledge where PHP was going and the fact that the MySQL extension was outgoing.

....And whats my post got to do with the NDA, I assume it stands for Non Disclosure Agreement ?

The nda is because it happened as part of pre-release, then pre-release was not open to anyone.

As for what the point is, the Dw team, (and many others) thought they could take their time updating the SB's, they could not, so the only alternative was to remove them completely and help extension developers to create an alternative, (which they did, until Adobe stopped them).

If they had left the SB's untill they could be updated, (belive me it would be a couple of years work) then you would have had users of them complaining that it was Dw's fault in allowing them to use outdated code.

As for the PHAKT extension it did not work in the then upcomming php 5.3, and every time php was updated the extension had to be rewritten, (another item that may be nda).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there's a bit of confusion here.

Your quoting Energize's post, right before prefacing your own as a possible NDA issue, made it look like you're saying their post is the possible NDA issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jon,

Prior to Dw 2017 pre-release was only by invitation only, (think CAB) and as I am saying what happened in pre-release for cs6 I am breaking the rules, which is why I said if anyone wishes to censor me they are free to do so.

I posted what happened, simply because it was not the Dw teams fault that they did not know php's policy, (it was well hidden).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

If they had left the SB's untill they could be updated, (belive me it would be a couple of years work) then you would have had users of them complaining that it was Dw's fault in allowing them to use outdated code.

I dont really think that is an excuse, Adobe had years to update the SBs. Everyone was asking when but instead they faffed around, spent millions on crap like fluid-grids which instantly died a death, then quickly shoved Bootstrap in the program to save it from complete obliteration. Since then they have included mostly 3rd party junk, very little innovation over the last 5/6 years has happened whilst lets face it Wappler/Pinegrow is wiping the floor with them. A multi-billion dollar company being beaten up by a couple of small time outfits........go figure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What information are we talking about here that was part of a pre-release? ... Do you actually know the rmeaning of NDA, you're saying I had confidential access to something and agreed to a confidentiality agreement, all the stuff were talking about here is public knowledge so really don't know what you are talking about.

It seems you are saying that Adobe  should have listened to you and  they were ignorant in the first instance with the SBs and then later were NOT prepared to commit the necessary resources to update the SBs so they took the easy way out. Regardless the fact is the SBs should have been updated and that brings us full circle to the fact that Adobe won't or don't commit enough resources to Dreamweaver, it's a bit of a joke when you consider the amount of time wasted on pointless updates since CC 2015.

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Energize  wrote

Regardless the fact is the SBs should have been updated and that brings us full circle to the fact that Adobe won't or don't commit enough resources to Dreamweaver, it's a bit of a joke when you consider the amount of time wasted on pointless updates since CC 2015.

Lets forget nda, if adobe wish to do anything about me posting about pre-release info I could not care less. I just don't think that the current team should be blamed, (no one from that time is part of the current Dw team).

As for adobe underfunding Dw, yes that has been done since they acquired Dw. Nothing you or I will ever change a policy of 'Adobe has no idea what to do with Dw', remember the only reason they bought Macromedia in the first place, was to aquire Flash.

The other item you should remember is that since Adobe acquired Dw, and especially since CC, the main people they listen to for ideas are, acp's, (any app), writers, teachers and print-designers. People who earn their living creating web sites/apps on a daily basis make up less than 10% of the people who influence Dw's development.

Don't ever think that anyone concerned with Dw's actual development knows what is required, they do not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jonathan,

Ours is up to date, too... and a little more advanced than the one you linked to.

Yes, the situation is nuanced, but our customers (who are your customers) have been royally screwed. Right now there is a serious, ongoing bug that prevents anyone in an English speaking location, outside of North America (and I believe that includes you) of installing Dreamweaver extensions, be it from the Exchange or via a third-party extension manager. That is the first issue that needs to be solved, and it will only get solved it he Exchange team and the Dreamweaver team communicate (kind of like synching ).

We had a nice phone chat a few weeks ago, and we would be happy to put our extensions on the Exchange... but that is not going to happen if the localization bug (which seems to be limited to Dreamweaver) is fixed.

Other solutions have been raised:

Allowing users to store ZXP installers on "My Exchange" and have the convenience of Adobe installing and synching via the cloud.

Creating your own front end for ExMan. I know, I know, you brought up Air and Flash, and all that, but we wrote a wrapper in Node JS and it took less than a day... for one programmer. So, it was never a question of "can't", but rather of "want".

Fix the Exchange. Fix Dreamweaver, and they will come. Continue on the current path and there will simply be no future for Dreamweaver.

It is inarguable, and I think the actual customers viewing this thread know that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the situation is nuanced, but our customers (who are your customers) have been royally screwed. Right now there is a serious, ongoing bug that prevents anyone in an English speaking location, outside of North America (and I believe that includes you) of installing Dreamweaver extensions, be it from the Exchange or via a third-party extension manager.

Let me clarify one thing...

The DMX Zone EM gets around this bug because it uses proprietary methods, rather than ExMan, as we do.

Let me also clarify the bug that has existed for over 3 years now:

ExMan writes extensions to the en_US configuration folder, even for British customers using  International English as their language, which, of course, is default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AL,

I don't know if you have read the latest Brackets release notes, but it looks like Brackets is adding one of the main functions that Dw users often give for its use, namely drag and drop of files in the file tree structure -

https://github.com/adobe/brackets/pull/13546

https://github.com/adobe/brackets/wiki/Release-Notes:-1.13

Maybe its time for you to at least consider converting your extensions for Brackets use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

Hi AL,

I don't know if you have read the latest Brackets release notes, but it looks like Brackets is adding one of the main functions that Dw users often give for its use, namely drag and drop of files in the file tree structure -

https://github.com/adobe/brackets/pull/13546

https://github.com/adobe/brackets/wiki/Release-Notes:-1.13

I dont see any use of that functionality unless it updates the links as well and I don't think it does that, at least it doesnt appear to say it does. A lot of editors have the ability to shift folders/files from one location to another but not update the links.....which in the case for a static site would be useful..........thats if anyone actually builds static websites any longer........... so it might not be a feature any longer that is even worth considering as it once was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  wrote

I dont see any use of that functionality unless it updates the links as well and I don't think it does that, at least it doesnt appear to say it does. A lot of editors have the ability to shift folders/files from one location to another but not update the links.....which in the case for a static site would be useful..........thats if anyone actually builds static websites any longer........... so it might not be a feature any longer that is even worth considering as it once was.

The point is that free code editors are catching up and adding many of the features that can make Dw a choice for some. link updating is not a feature that many dynamic sites require.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

The point is that free code editors are catching up and adding many of the features that can make Dw a choice for some. link updating is not a feature that many dynamic sites require.

As I said a lot of code editors already had the ability to drag and drop folders/files in the file tree, some time ago so not sure why you think that ability in Brackets is anything special. It just means Brackets is behind the curve...no surprise there then. As far as I know DW still has the ability to darg and drog files/folders in the tree panel plus update the links.

As for Brackets well that hasnt had any major updates or improvements since it was first realeased unless by third party extension providers.....no surprise there then. As far as I know it still doesnt have the abilty to change the chrome to match the editors color scheme.

Both are way off the pace in my opinion but at least one is free.

On another note as we are discussing editors - have you ever set-up vs code editor to work with localhost/mysql? Cant seem to find any information on how to go about doing that so I can open the browser from within vs code and not have to continually type the url in the browser........hummmm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A. Why was this thread deemed answered, are you satisfied ALsp​ , did you mark that correct ?

pziecina  wrote

Maybe its time for you to at least consider converting your extensions for Brackets use.

B. I get the notion to use it a shell app for the extensions, but I'm curious, was this being serious?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I marked the answer as correct for the benefit of other users that may not have the time go through this entire thread. We are also creating a KB doc that I will post here very soon. Feel free to let me know if you need me to reverse my decision.

That should help until any product fix that is required is released.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

W_J_T  wrote

pziecina   wrote

B. I get the notion to use it a shell app for the extensions, but I'm curious, was this being serious?

No it was not serious.

Brackets is going the way of Dw, and has too little to offer the web developer to be seriously considered. It used to be o/k, but over the last 3-4 years has become a 'look how many languages we suppor now' app, with much of what it supports being way behind what is required for a serious web development tool, (which does not say much for Dw's implementation).

I would no longer consider recommending Dw or Brackets to anyone, except maybe if someone knows how to create their own extensions to update CS6's code hints. Saying that an 8 year old program is better than the current offering is depressing, but true.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its too bad the post by Staff was so quickly removed after being posted here. Telling ALsp​ , that one fix is to instead upload and offer extensions through Adobe's Exchange. I would of loved to see the response to that idea for resolution.

It seems ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will. Refresh your browser. It seems serendipity smiled on me and I happened to see Nayan's post before it was deleted. Perhaps she simply wanted to edit it, though...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AL, W_J_T,

Yes, the intention was to edit the reply with the solution of local zxp installation.

Will revert back shortly.

Thanks,

Nayan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALsp  wrote

Perhaps she simply wanted to edit it, though...

Moderators and staff can edit or remove any post, even one that has been replied to. So there she did not have to remove it, to edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I missing something, Nayan is a s'he' according to the profile pic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I simply followed AL's wording, if I got it wrong I would like to apologise to Nayan.

Sorry, Nayan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, my apologies, too. But if I do say so, Nayan is a lovely name. But that's about all I'm gonna say on that 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's okay pziecina​​. No problem .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks W_J_T. Something to smile for now, ALsp​.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines