• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New collapsing (folding) code in Dreamweaver cc 2015.

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2015 Jun 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is "collapse all code except selection" ? It was really useful.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 01, 2015 Dec 01, 2015

Code collapse for selection in code view is back with the latest release DW CC 2015.1 Nov Release.

For more details read the post below

Dreamweaver CC 2015 update (2015.1) is now live!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2015 Aug 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Took the words out of my mouth, tommy@opscomsystems.com 🙂 Plus, as I've said, restricting us to only folding code between specific markers is ridiculous because we aren't always dealing with complete code blocks. Sometimes you want to collapse only part of a line, or only part of a block. Sometimes you're dealing with broken code, or stuff that drops in and out of different languages/templating systems that mangles DW's now-flaky detection of the start/end of such blocks. Want to collapse a big data array to focus on the real code? Not any more you can't! Or, as you say, to expand that selection quickly to the code segment - e.g. an "if" segment - that contains it? Nope - because DW's features team have heard that code only ever exists in certain discrete, complete chunks, as if we all just pull together pre-built component blocks rather than typing code in manually. I can't believe they even talked to their own devs about this - unless those devs have drunk waaay too much Adobe Kool-Aid and got excited about implementing a new feature instead of considering its usability in the real world.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which key combo is that? Does it work with js and php (functions, conditions, etc)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are different key combinations for braces -  { }  - and HTML tags.

"Balance braces" expand by pressing the same key combo again. For me it's Ctrl+' to select the function, and , and Ctrl+' again to expand. This works with any set of braces, so both php and javascript functions. Then, while still holding the Ctrl key, I used to be able to press another key, it was D for me, to collapse the selection. I believe it may have been another default key.

You will find the command to expand or contract the current HTML tag in the menu:

Edit > Select Parent Tag, and

Edit > Select Child.

You can see the assigned key combos, if any, in the menu. You can change the key combo in Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts > Edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I thought: the user first has to select the content between braces or parentheses by hitting <ctrl><'>, and then a second short cut to fold that code (which is set by default to <ctrl><shift><c>). I was hoping I had missed a secret key combo to avoid having to set a selection first. It's a lot of work (relatively spoken, of course). In Netbeans, for example, it is only one key combo: <ctrl><->. It takes double the work in Dreamweaver CC2014 and prior.

Still, being able to fold a custom selection is still very handy - hopefully, after all the up-votes, the DW devs will bring this feature back to DW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2015 Aug 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've reverted back to Dreamweaver CC. I wonder if Adobe will fix this or even consider this a problem and care to "fix" this.

Preran is telling us to vote for to "Add "collapse code" selection BACK into Code Toolbar to Dreamweaver CC 2015". Toolbar...?!? I don't care about the dang "Code Toolbar".  Keystrokes! I use the keystrokes to collapse tag and collapse selection. (Ctrl + Shift + J and Ctrl + Shift + J respectively)

And what's the point of paying a subscription to have the latest apps when Adobe continues to mangle Dreamweaver.

I program in ColdFusion (an Adobe language) and I have to teach Dreamweaver what .cfm files are after every install/update. If I don't, Dreamweaver has no clue what these files are. That is crazy!

Whatevs!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The colapse of part of code is so importante to a programmer so that is mentioned in dreamweaver description in Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Dreamweaver

Adobe Dreamweaver is a web design and development application that provides a visual WYSIWYG editor (colloquially referred to as the Design view) and a code editor with standard features such as syntax highlighting, code completion, and code collapsing as well as more sophisticated features such as...

Since from macromedia, this tool is very usefull for coders because we can folding with versatility any part of code (old tool) and not only the complete tags folding (new tool). This is helpful to see far parts of code togheter. Adobe actual team developers are not understanding that there is people who use dreamweaver in code side only and not in wisiwyg mode. In the code side, folding any part of code is very very importante to gain speed and more accuracy in the final code. Maybe adobe desires to create a new fashion mode to see the code, but adobe should clarify this to all people who uses their programming tools, saying: We will do not return the old code collapse tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2015 Aug 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to log in to support this comment 100%. There is nothing else to say - you have said it perfectly.

I'm not going to go "vote" for something when the comments here do the job. If people at Adobe cannot get the vibe from this thread then they deserve to lose the loyal customers that are leaving due to this oversight. Our company is for the first time looking at alternatives and they look better than I had expected so it looks like we'll be another to wave Dreamweaver goodbye after over a decade of use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2015 Sep 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bravo. Well said!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We did check with the team about this feature, and as of today, the data that we have from various sources indicate that most users aren't having any major issues with it

Wow, now I felt myself a dinosaur coder rsrsrs. The fellows in this topic and me, we are the lone survivors of code programming whom yet needs a "collapse" tool in the code editor what they really love since some years ago. I´m really thinking if I need the tool or if I need the DW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran wrote:

Hi all,

We did check with the team about this feature, and as of today, the data that we have from various sources indicate that most users aren't having any major issues with it. If this feature is really important to you, I encourage you to canvass for the idea Add "collapse code" selection BACK into Code Toolbar to Dreamweaver CC 2015

As of today, there are fourteen votes.

Thanks,

Preran

I think you might have inadvertently poked a hornet's nest with a stick, it's now the most voted for item in the Ideas section and sits at over 360.

I'm hoping you guys can see the IP addresses of votes so you can verify this isn't some kind of fraudulent repeat voting all coming from the same user(s) because I'd like to see the old version back, possibly mixed in with the new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IP doesn't say much. We're three developers here on one IP.

Since I have a home account as well, I may have accidently voted twice on some ideas, but if so I have done that from two different IPs. I believe both accounts is under the same registered name though, that might be a better indication than IP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jon,

I am not sure if there is a way to look into the IP address behind the votes, but am sure that Jive has a system that prevents that. More importantly, I have forwarded this discussion to the product team, and they are looking into this request.

Rest:

I completely understand the passion behind this request. While we keep discussing this topic here, I do urge you to be cognizant of the fact that implementing any request takes time. I will keep you updated as soon as I have something worthwhile to report.

For those that are interested, I encourage you to join Adobe's pre-release forum Adobe Prerelease Login to get a chance to be involved with the creation process.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2015 Aug 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can re-implementing code that was used reliably for multiple years take more than a couple hours to identify and re-introduce?  I might see a couple days at most as needed.

Preran, the reason you could get away with saying you'd had so few comments on this issue is that people are still ramping up to 2015.  You can't seriously believe that near 400 votes on this issue isn't an important indicator of a problem.

The basic correlations of such a number in the customer service industry mean that you've thousands, likely tens of thousands of users that are having this issue and want it addressed.  Were I in your shoes, I'd be addressing this up the chain because this isn't a small issue, but a potential showstopper that could drastically impact sales.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 24, 2015 Aug 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As part of being a messenger for social media, I make sure that I share feedback from various social channels to the product team, and the other way round.  Numbers are the most effective mechanism by which I can bring attention to the popularity of a request, although rest assured, I do not use that as the only measure when reporting.  Also, like I said previously, I am just one of the reporting mechanisms for the team.

The product team is looking into this request, and we have shared with them all details that underlines the importance of the request. I will keep you updated as soon as I have something worthwhile to share.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2015 Sep 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest, most of us (though I can't speak for everybody) are too busy doing our work, which DW is supposed to be helping us with - to also become an unpaid testing team for Adobe. There used to be a time when big software companies used to pay people to do the job of testing usability and testing for bugs. It seems that Adobe has decided to take the cheap approach to this in more modern times. To me (despite you probably being a stand-up guy) you seem to be intent on insulting the people whom pay Adobe's developer's wages and supply the profits that no doubt Adobe Executives use to buy their swimming pools with. The mangling of this feature is not some difference of opinion about the requirements of the users of this software, it's a complete disconnection between your company and your customers and a complete lack of understanding of a developer's needs. This is exceptionally worrying as that is whom your market are for this software. Not that I particularly care, our company has now created their plan for ditching Dreamweaver after this latest fiasco and are in the process of implementing it. So quite simply, you're 'feature' developers being so far out of touch with their actual customers has lost your company several tens of thousands of dollars in the coming year and Adobe's attitude of expecting US your customers to do all the hard yards regards ensuring that Adobe don't screw up has left an extremely sour taste in our mouths. We shall be steering well clear of all products by Adobe in the future - now that we're dropping DW, we're also intending to do the same with Photoshop. Bye, bye Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose the reason this code fold behaviour was changed (not saying this is good or bad!), is because the old version had no sense of the code order and organization.  This allowed for arbitrary custom code folds based on selections. The new version does have advantages (otherwise other mainstream code editors and IDEs would not have implemented the same system), but really needs simple shortcut keys to control the feature, and must be extended with other options which are readily available in the other editors and IDEs.

For example, both PHPStorm and Netbeans allow for custom code folds to be set, which can be controlled with attributes which decide whether they should be collapsed or not when loading the file.

// <editor-fold defaultstate="collapsed" desc="user-description">

...any code...

// </editor-fold>

This snippet inserts a custom fold in your php which collapses when the file is opened in Netbeans: very handy under circumstances.

Other handy options are automatic folding of html comments.

In a nutshell, I see the current implementation of code folding in DW to be at its infant stage. It is an unfinished feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even I up-voted for this feature, and I do not use DW anymore - but several of my students still do, and they would very much dislike the new folding which was introduced in 2015.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow... the numbers goes 140+...

I find it really interesting where the vote is for "new idea"...

This is an very old and very useful features... how can you treat them as "New Idea"?

Anyway... Please any of you felt the same... vote... I'm going back to CS6 anyway or PHPStorm maybe...

Add "collapse code" selection BACK into Code Toolbar to Dreamweaver CC 2015

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chrixtopher wrote:

... I'm going back to CS6 anyway or PHPStorm maybe...

Add "collapse code" selection BACK into Code Toolbar to Dreamweaver CC 2015

You don't have to drop all the way back to CS6. As a CC subscriber, along with CC 2015, you can get CS6, CC, or CC2014, all of them have the old, better code collapse functionality. Here's how you do it from the CC Desktop App: How to Find and Install Previous Version of Adobe Apps in CC 2015 | Adobe Customer Care Team

You can have all of them installed on the same machine, they just won't run at the same time. That way, you could use other features in the newer versions that the older don't have (if any interest you, I'm liking the Emmet they put in, it's not 100% there, ah well) without having to uninstall older versions. Plus, if Adobe sees their error and brings back functional code collapsing to DWCC 2015, it may just be a patch to an existing program on your machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had them both in my machine... just too troublesome switching between both version...

DW is great software I used since with Macromedia. Is good that Adobe added some great features, but why remove good features in old version?

Hope the new patch will come in soonest. I want to migrate fully in CC!

BTW just went to Adobe CC Event in Singapore last month, it was great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's so frustrating to work with this limitation now, it was a great feature I rely on it daily to get through mountains of code. I'll certainly go back to my 5.5 if it's not reinstated soon and ditching my subscription to CC!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as were on the subject of Adobe CC's depreciated functionalities, perhaps others may have a persuasive rational for reinstating the FLV export in Premiere and Encoder. those flash cues come in super handy. Please bring that back. Twas the bomb-diggity being able to read the cues in the flash player.  On the recommendation of an adobe moderator,  I had to resort to previous versions for this, which the Cloud makes available, which is great...but still.BRING BACK FLV!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2015 Sep 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why i´m leaving dreamweaver?

Dreamweaver CC 2015 Edition For Email Development • Code and Send

Collapse Full Tag was removed in DW 2015

Yes, you read it correctly. Adobe removed the Collapse Full Tag function — the second most important and unique feature in Dreamweaver (first one being the Design View). The replacement is Code Folding — by magnitude an inferior way to collapse the code.

Fig.6. The Code Folding relies on you clicking the triangles and the (false) premise that each opening tag will be on a separate row on the screen.

Triangle-based code folding in inferior because:

• It relies on using a mouse to click the triangle. It is an inefficient way to work with the code. It should be triggered by a strategically-placed keyboard key press.
  • It assumes that the code is clean, and there is only one opening tag on each line. When there are multiple opening tags on the same line, Dreamweaver assigns the triangle only to the first opening tag. Then it is not possible to collapse other tags on the same line. In contrast, Collapse Full Tag can be easily used anywhere, even on the minified code.
  • It assumes that you will always want to collapse tags starting from the opening tag. It is not possible to collapse the tag clicking on its closing tag. From practice, there is 5050 probability that I will collapse the tag starting with the closing tag. Actually, one of the uses of Collapse Full Tag was to find the opening tag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2015 Sep 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks CelsoPecuraro! Well stated. There is another important feature to add to your list, and that is the ability to collapse ANY selection of code, not just a particular tag. Ctrl+Shift+C allows you to collapse whatever selected you've made. And of course, Ctrl+Shift+J collapses the current tag you're in, no matter where in the tag you are, beginning, middle or end. It's sooo valuable. For that reason I've reverted back to CC 2014.

Reverting back to CC 2014 brings me back to another super annoying issue. I work in ColdFusion, an Adobe language, yet when I trying to save my .CFM files Dreameaver tries to be helpful and changes the file to .CFM.HTM. It will NOT let me save new or existing docs as .CFM. It's just CRAZY to me. I'm the last hold out on my team still using Dreamweaver (Sublime, Eclipse and Komodo being the other faves)  and I'm getting tired of fighting with Dreamweaver. I may be on my way out. Is Adobe trying to push us out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2015 Sep 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, indeed I believe I used the collapse functions more than 50% from the bottom. Tracking a bug back to the source generally starts at the bottom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines