• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No more Muse, what about DW?

Engaged ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't know what do to after using Muse.

I started using the Dreamweaver with StudioMx  but few months ago started using Muse.

Muse......March 26, 2018 we will release the final feature improvement release ...

Adobe doesn't even recommend Dreamweaver.

Should I come back to Dw?

Really need you advice.

thank you for reading,

James

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Coming back to the original question about Dreamweaver. It's a copy-paste from another discussion, but I do hope you understand why.

Like I promised, I checked with the senior management about the future of Dreamweaver, and their answer was that they see no reason to stop developing the product. Dreamweaver will continue to exist, period.

I understand that no amount of reassurance will suffice, but I do want to put other Dreamweaver users visiting this post at ease.

I am marking my answer as corre

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 280 Replies 280
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just so you know, I have already mentioned DW + PVII, DMX Zone and WebAssist links in the Muser's forum.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for letting me know Nancy,

I have posted a new discussion in the Muse forum with a link to the new discussion here. That way if anyone has any questions regarding Dw, extension developers will not face many moderation problems, (could you let other moderators know in the back room and acp forum).

Thanks

Paula

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

(could you let other moderators know in the back room and acp forum).

Done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully they follow those rooms and will see one of the three posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i wonder if Adobe will buy Webflow next?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eyemo  wrote

I'm not sure "Dreamweaver will continue to exist" is all that reassuring, ...

There is one big difference between Muse and Dreamweaver, in that anything created in Dreamweaver can be very easilly moved to any code editor or ide, (many Dw users use other programs to supplement Dw's missing functionality anyway). The site created in Dw can be updated, modified or changed in any way one desires, outside of Dreamweaver.

All one has to remember when using Dreamweaver is never to become reliant on any feature(s) it offers. For most Dw users changing to another program would be at the most annoying, but never a 'show stopper'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

The site created in Dw can be updated, modified or changed in any way one desires, outside of Dreamweaver.

Right.  I have no trouble opening HTML documents in BlueGriffon, Brackets, NoteTab, Visual Studio, etc...  I just happen to prefer the site mangement and code hinting features in DW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the first time Adobe  have retired products and it certainly won't be the last.  Think back to  PageMill,  GoLive, Fireworks, Director, Encore, Contribute, LiveCycle, Edge, Course Builder, e-Learning suite....  all gone now.   As industries & technologies change, so too must the software we use.  In 2020, Flash, Muse and Business Catalyst will reach EOL. 

Dreamweaver remains an excellent tool for site management  and code editing.   If you can write your own code,   you will never be a slave to your software.   But non-coders will always have trouble when the software they rely on stops being developed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you forgot to mention some master pieces of tools... Homesite (very too bad)... Freehand (it was amazing)... some other servers solution ... Breeze... and Flex (including Flash remoting, and Flash Communication Server)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not forgotten.  The list of retired apps is simply too long to list them all.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The truth is when one looks at the code behind Muse, the developers simply coded themselves into a dead-end. Without a major code and functionality rewrite it had no room to expand to meet modern web design possibilities, let alone standards.

Dw has also moved down the same route, and even if they fix the 100's of bugs it will not be a program I would recommend to anyone. It is simply too limited in both workflows and features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coming from Muse where code access and stndards are stifled by the design interface, DW will seem like a breath of fresh air.  In DW, you're only limited by your coding abilities.  In Muse, you're limited by the software, widgets and templates available for it.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another major problem most Muse users will face, even if they wish to move to Dw or some other editor/ide, is that a lot of the ways Muse worked and the terminology used by Muse is different. We even use different meanings for what a responsive site is, and as for Muse converting OS fonts to an image, (even web safe) I refuse to comment on, on the grounds that I get enough hate mail as it is , (joke).

The one excuse and phrase I don't want to see returning in the quantity we used to get in the Dw forum is -

"I'm a designer, I cannot code and do not want to code".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

The one excuse and phrase I don't want to see returning in the quantity we used to get in the Dw forum is -

Web Designers who can't work with code are not web designers .  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact is that web design is a fine line. There where web developers that where not designers but created web pages too. And there are graphic designers that did not do code, struggled through dreamweaver and where relieved of fustrations with MUSE, a web designer that can code is a different type of designer all together than a regular graphic designer. So there is no righ or wrong here it's a different dicipline, just as not every graphic designer is an environmental designer (signs) or packaging designer, but given the right tools they can do it all, same token not every web designer is a magazine designer and probably could not layout a magazine properly, how ever giving him a tool to do so would allow him or her to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

juchis2009  wrote

not every web designer is a magazine designer and probably could not layout a magazine properly, how ever giving him a tool to do so would allow him or her to do so.

So what you are saying is that it is not necessary to know what you are doing, or how it should be done. The only thing required to do anything is the tool(s) to do the job?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

So what you are saying is that it is not necessary to know what you are doing, or how it should be done.

Sounds like me after a few pints of beer. It's not a bad idea come to think of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  wrote

pziecina   wrote

So what you are saying is that it is not necessary to know what you are doing, or how it should be done.

Sounds like me after a few pints of beer. It's not a bad idea come to think of it.

I'll 2nd that, (the beer I mean ) cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NO, of course not, the tools help with out a program you could not built a site, right? but the mindset or conceptual thinking is whats different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

juchis2009  wrote

NO, of course not, the tools help with out a program you could not built a site, right? but the mindset or conceptual thinking is whats different.

At the very basic level all that is required to build a web site is a text editor. So far today I have had designers telling me that designers solve problems, but when asked 'how' they want something to work, they 'chicken out'. I have had Muse users who have no idea why Muse fails on so many levels. I have had designers saying that webflow is the best layout program possible, and that they cannot understand 'why' css never came up with such a simple system, and that shows coders dont know anything, guess what webflow uses css flexbox which has been around since 2009. Long before webflow and Muse.

Isn't it time those who want a visual way to build sites, finally got involved by saying how it should work, what it requires, and how it should be done 'graphical drawings and flow charts allowed', and stop just saying 'we want' like little children.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you show us a screenshot of one of your Mu designed websites, I could show you how to re-code it in DW.    The image below was a Mu concept that I put into a responsive Bootstrap layout. 

BootstrapStarter.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a lot of work invest in my Muse sites.  Is there anyway to get them into Dreamweaver for a leaping point?  Or do I really need to leave adobe and go to some plastic wrap site maker like WIN or go daddy.  it seems sinful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/j+potter  wrote

I have a lot of work invest in my Muse sites.  Is there anyway to get them into Dreamweaver for a leaping point? 

Sure.  Export MU projects to native HTML, CSS and JavaScript files.

Open DW and go to  Site > New Site and select the folder on your hard drive that contains those exported files.

NOTE:  The code won't be pretty but it won't be pretty in any HTML editor.  That's the price you paid for all that ease of use in MU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  wrote

pziecina   wrote

Web Designers who can't work with code are not web designers .  

Sorry but that's simply not true. Web designers all over the world provide layouts in Photoshop and work alongside developers to have their designs 'interpreted'. It's commonplace and it's a legitimate way of creating websites. Other designers use apps/tools such as Muse. Other designers have some coding experience. Others have a lot of coding experience. Design is an intuitive process, as well as a process where an understanding of what is possible on the internet is necessary. But it is not necessary to be able to code to be a website designer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The term "web(site) designer" is too vague, too generic a term, and too easy to misinterpret. I avoid using it altogether.

"Front-end coder", "UX designer" "Information Architect", "Content Strategist/Designer", "Full-stack web Developer", "Front-end Designer", "Usability Expert", etc. Much less confusing.

"Web Designer" belongs back in the nineties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines