Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recovery of code

Enthusiast ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

While copying and pasting, I lost many lines of code.

Is there any way to go back to the previous version?

Hosun Kang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

You dont need git on simple jobs you just need to be more organised. Keep regular back ups, copies of the file. Also you should have some kind of automatic back up installed on your computer by default. Every  Mac has time machine installed which regularly backs up your work through out the day. I dont know if a pc has anything similar. Git is best applied when a team is involved. Its just a glorified back up, distribution system, if you dont commit your changes are not saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl+Z = undo.  Repeat as many times as required.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you for reply.

It doesn't work.

Is there any way to move the whole file back to the previous version?

I got Global Invisible Hand.

Is there any easy way to recover the code from there?

Hosun Kang

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Ctrl or Cmd + Z doesn't undo what you did,  there is nothing DW can do to recover your code.  Do you have an older copy of the file on your remote server that you can recover the code from?

It's good practice to use Git version control and keep dedicated backup copies of your work somewhere just in case something goes wrong.  

Learn how to download and use Git with Dreamweaver.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You dont need git on simple jobs you just need to be more organised. Keep regular back ups, copies of the file. Also you should have some kind of automatic back up installed on your computer by default. Every  Mac has time machine installed which regularly backs up your work through out the day. I dont know if a pc has anything similar. Git is best applied when a team is involved. Its just a glorified back up, distribution system, if you dont commit your changes are not saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  a écrit

Its just a glorified back up, distribution system, if you dont commit your changes are not saved.

euh... GIT is not a back up system... it's a versioning system, which is totaly different...

What is Git: become a pro at Git with this guide | Atlassian Git Tutorial

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and branching l guess youre going to inform is something different to duplicating a file.....fancy words, meaningless....they are used all the time in web development mostly to fulfil egos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_ a écrit

and branching l guess youre going to inform is something different to duplicating a file.....fancy words, meaningless....they are used all the time in web development mostly to fulfil egos.

creating a branch is not like duplicating a simple file, but creating a starting point on a development state in order to implement a new approach.

the main point of this operation is that the system then allows the branch and initial state to be merged to the desired degree in order to preserve only the advantages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As l said copying a file to test an implementation of a compoment. As a single developer if it works theres no need for any merging back into a master branch...........you  are only thinking in terms of a team were developers are working on the same file at the same time, thats when git has a benefit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  a écrit

As l said copying a file to test an implementation of a compoment. As a single developer if it works theres no need for any merging back into a master branch...........you  are only thinking in terms of a team were developers are working on the same file at the same time, thats when git has a benefit.

nope, I don't agree

at the moment I am working on the materialization of data and an information system through a geographical map.

there are various improvements in progress (in terms of tools) and this impacts a large number of files that need to be adapted... both server-side script files, and client-side (AJAX is used) , without forgetting CSS and data files are necessarily modified and function signatures must also be updated.(JSON transfered as exchange in between PHP and JS)

as progress is made, some points can be preserved, others must return to a previous state.

GIT is very useful... simple backups would be too complex to define where the changes occurred and which ones are related to what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are following the OP they have 2 pages of uncomplicated code and the suggestion by you and another frequent contributor is to use Git, thats over kill in my opinion. You go on to describe a situation which may or may not be applicable to use Git depending on ones own views and organisational skills and workflow. What does come across in nearly  all your posts is you think everyone is operating at the same or higher level as yourself therefore your answers are generally not suited to the solution being sought. In this case its simple organisational skills which does not require git, other situations may although personally l have never experienced the benefit being the only developer working on the project. Id rather use my time wisely and inject my energy into something else which reaps more rewards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  a écrit

If you are following the OP they have 2 pages of uncomplicated code and the suggestion by you and another frequent contributor is to use Git, thats over kill in my opinion.

at no time, I recommended using GIT.

If you reread my comments on this thread, I simply indicated that GIT was not a back up system and I tried to describe a personal use case, and where only one developer can be involved, not necessarily a team.

and I can add, that I didn't find my own answers useful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/B+i+r+n+o+u  wrote

osgood_   a écrit

If you are following the OP they have 2 pages of uncomplicated code and the suggestion by you and another frequent contributor is to use Git, thats over kill in my opinion.

at no time, I recommended using GIT.

If you reread my comments on this thread, I simply indicated that GIT was not a back up system and I tried to describe a personal use case, and where only one developer can be involved, not necessarily a team.

and I can add, that I didn't find my own answers useful

I'm glad that has been cleared up. As for marking suggestions as helpful/useful..... well that has been discussed in this forum on previous occasions. The only person who can determine IF a solution is of any help/use to them is the OP NOT the person that has posted the solution as it mis-represents other possible solutions/suggestions/opinions in the thread..........so stop doing it!! Otherwise it all becomes meangless if we all go around marking our own replies as useful, which will only serve to confuse even further so unless people refrain from doing so I'll just mark anything posted as being helpful in the future, including my own posts.

Whoever manages this forum needs to get rid of that option plus the like option, its already been  proposed by sensible contributors but nothing gets done.

As an example all the posts in this thread have now been marked as helpful.........how does that help in any way shape or form. A personal and sensible request to the the forum manager - please rectify this unsavoury issue by getting rid of the ability to abuse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

let us quickly mark our answers as useful for fear of appearing abstruse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since no one else in this thread obviously has any idea of what they aee doing or suggesting  one has to take matters into their own hands so people actually get to know the truth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, the evening seems to have been busy... sorry I'm having trouble keeping up...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As usual then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  wrote

so people actually get to know the truth

Things are looking up. I didn't realise truth was part of your vocabulary.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben you are consistantly in denial so ld expect nothing less from you.

I see there is someone talking some sense on the Wappler forum at last exposing its weaknesses........you need to be truthful to your client.

The laugh for me was when Brad responded with its job security...........until the company he works for goes bust or he gets bored and then wheres the transportable skills

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Glad to see that you are following the Professionals at work
  2. That someone has no idea about App Connect, it differs little from your favourite VueJS
  3. Brad is a funny guy, pity you did not get his lighthearted comment.
Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BenPleysier  wrote

1. Glad to see that you are following the Professionals at work
  2. That someone has no idea about App Connect, it differs little from your favourite VueJS
  3. Brad is a funny guy, pity you did not get his lighthearted comment.

I check in for the entertainment in most cases. Some guy having trouble with a login page redirecting to a confirmation page - 23hrs later still no progress..........hmmmmm I guess that's as professional as it gets.

App Connect is a niche workflow with much less than 5000 users, even if we assume all of those 5000 have subscribed, which is hugely doubtful. On the other hand Vue is deployed by millions of users worldwide....so yes, no difference really.

I think Brad was being deadly serious in his response. On the face things look good until someone starts questioning the merits of a workflow that should at least be consider by a professional developer in the best interests of their client, not themselves.

These are just my opinions, everyone is entitled to their own of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not wishing to inflame the discussion, anything can be called a 'niche' workflow, and any claim of 'its used by millions', does not carry any weight, as there are now over 1.5 billion web sites, so anything less than 200 million is for me a 'niche' workflow.

For years there have been 'niche' workflows that have nothing to do with the clients best interests. But, for small sites who cares? After all wordpress, angular, wix, Dw, Webflow, Wappler, all create what could easily be called 'niche' code, (deliberatly using the word 'code' as opposed to 'workflow' now).

For me it is not the code these programs generate, or the workflow used by the developer(s), it is the understanding of the code generated that matters, (if one does not understand it, how can one say it is good?). As for the workflow, the philosophy should always be to keep it as simple as possible, both in requirements, and in recommending it to others, (if you cannot walk away from using a workflow, then come back to it 2 years later, without any problems, or learning how to use any part of it, it is overcomplicated).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

Not wishing to inflame the discussion, anything can be called a 'niche' workflow, and any claim of 'its used by millions', does not carry any weight, as there are now over 1.5 billion web sites, so anything less than 200 million is for me a 'niche' workflow.

For years there have been 'niche' workflows that have nothing to do with the clients best interests. But, for small sites who cares? After all wordpress, angular, wix, Dw, Webflow, Wappler, all create what could easily be called 'niche' code, (deliberatly using the word 'code' as opposed to 'workflow' now).

It has everything to do with the clients best interests in my opinion. It stands to reason the less 'popular' the workflow the fewer accessible developers there are going to be to maintain the code-base in the future. i.e. I could very quickly source a developer who uses vue, wordpress, bootstrap, etc. Its highly unlikely that anyone in my local area would have even come across App Connect let alone used it. Let's go by your figures, 200million, then App Connect would still be at the very bottom of the table of popularity.

Yes, niche workflows have been used througout the history of web-development. I remember some myself that virtually 'locked' you into a workflow, the website could only be maintained by those that used such poor methods. I don't really think its ethical to put your client into that possible situation. How much a website cost to build is immaterial, a client should expect to receive a product whereby if they had a reason to source a developer they could, without having to re-write large chunks of it, because a code-base is not widely recognised or used.

pziecina  wrote

For me it is not the code these programs generate, or the workflow used by the developer(s), it is the understanding of the code generated that matters, (if one does not understand it, how can one say it is good?). As for the workflow, the philosophy should always be to keep it as simple as possible, both in requirements, and in recommending it to others, (if you cannot walk away from using a workflow, then come back to it 2 years later, without any problems, or learning how to use any part of it, it is overcomplicated).

Well understanding what it is you are using is of course a bonus and allows us to be called developers. I'm not sure what to call those that use workflows like wix, weebly etc because they are not developing anything and many have limited knowledge of the process.

I guess the only definition of 'good' in these cases is 'it works'. i.e. I don't really care, I get paid money, I'll take a chance that I will never be in a situation where I need to transport my lack-of-knowledge and skills to another job, because if you are you're limiting your job options severely.

Of course there will always be exceptions to the rules - those that are just in it for a short ride, those that are creating something for themselves, those that are too old and know they will never get another job within the industry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  wrote

Of course there will always be exceptions to the rules - those that are just in it for a short ride, those that are creating something for themselves, those that are too old and know they will never get another job within the industry.

Isn't that what everyone has decided when it comes to those who use Dw, (etc) or visual site creators. That they are not looking for employment in the profession?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

osgood_   wrote

Isn't that what everyone has decided when it comes to those who use Dw, (etc) or visual site creators. That they are not looking for employment in the profession?

Is that by desire or ignorance? Its a short sighted approach for freelancers to spend 2/3 years building websites using a visual site creator, then the work dries up.  What skills have they aqcuired which will enable them to get another job easily and quickly or are these the very people I talk of who really have no passion from the outset, just looking to make a quick buck while it lasts, leave a trail of unpleasant code behind and move on to the next job, whatever that maybe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines