• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SIte ignores style and image folders after upgrading Mac and app

Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I maintain a simple Dreamweaver site made by someone else quite a few years ago - I'm a graphic designer rather than a web designer but understand the very basics of code. I recently got a new Mac with a new OS, and reinstalled all the Adobe apps. When I went to update the website the local files (stored on Dropbox) opened blank and I had to download them from the live site - they looked unstyled but the design view never looks right anyway so I went ahead and updated in the code view as normal. Uploaded and all looked OK on my Mac and iphone. But someone else let me know that lots looked wrong on their various devices and browsers and I looked in an incognito window on my Mac and the style sheet wasn't being applied and all the new images weren't showing. Updated text was correct. I checked that the new images had gone into the image folder and that the stylesheet was in the styles folder, and that the paths were correct in the HTML. Older images which did show live were in the same images folder with the same paths. I also checked in the folders on the host server. The bodge I have done for now is to put the stylesheet and images in the same folder (public_html) as the HTML files and delete the folder names in the code and this works - but I would like to knwo what happened and whether I can restore the folders as the single folder I have now is a bit of a jumble sale. I assume it must be to do with something new in either the version of DW I downloaded (though it is 2021 and I always keep my Adobe programmes up to date) or the new Mac (mac mini with Ventura 13.6.1)?  Any ideas most welcome!

TOPICS
Error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2023 Dec 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and I fixed the stylesheet issue by opening each html page and picking "attach style sheet" and browsing for a copy in a new folder. Seems to work though I am suspicious of the Join Us page. Anyway, not as broken looking as it was. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think I've sorted the menu now - same way as the top bar - no idea why it didn't work first time! But a new separate mbimages folder has done the trick. I know the MM rollover thing is virtually Stone Age but if I can keep this site going til I get my head around Bootstrap that's all I need!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no idea why it didn't work first time! But a new separate mbimages folder has done the trick.

By @hillyb173062

Sounds like six of one and half a dozen of the other to me. Anyway seems like you have a sticking plaster solution for now until you can upgrade the website more inline with what is currently required and expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Indeed - sticking plaster is fine for now! We're a community orchestra so we all pitch in where we can - I'm happy designing print and can update the web but I'll be slow learning a new programme. But anyway I've bought a little time fingers crossed! Thanks for your help and suggestions, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines