• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will DW ever upgrade its Server Behaviours to MYSQLi or PDO?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Dreamweaver is still being sold and updated, is it going to update its Server Behaviours to be php7 compatible by way of MySQLI or PDO?

Dreamweaver was created to make building dynamic database sites easy. However as all the Server Behaviours are now deprecated and useless - what is the point of it?

I understand there are a couple of commercial extensions from Webassist and DMXZone that can handle this - but I'd simply like to ask Adobe if this functionality is ever going to be incorporated into DW, yes or no? How does one ask Adobe this question?

Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

the best way to ask for features, is to do so right here: Adobe Dreamweaver: Feature Ideas

This uservoice is read by the DW developers. Make sure to explain how the feature you want will improve your actual workflow, so they have some context as to why the situation isn't ideal right now.

Cheers,

Seb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will not get any answers from Adobe themselves.

There was rumours/suggestions the other day that referenced 'new' server behaviours - posts 6/7

Dreamweaver 19.1 is now live

However nothing has been clarified since..............perhaps under a NDA or just a red herring......or maybe too much of the vino speaking.

But its true what you say, many have been arguing for the SBs to be updated for several years. DW became 'obsolete' overnight when it rapidy become fairly evident Adobe didn't have the stomach to improve what it provides it's customers out out the box, prefering to charge a premium price, for a single app, which offers nothing more, or even less, than something you can get for free.

I can only see DW being useful in its current state for those that get it free APCs or those that subscribe to the full CC package at which point it becomes attractive at approx 25 UK pounds a year, for all other situations its pointless, in my opinion.

Adobe have a good track record of buying innvoative packages from 3rd party developers then proceeding to do absolutely nothing with them or concentrate their efforts on failed fantasies. Im beginning to wonder if any one actually works for Adobe other than a handful of disattached execs that are presumably playing golf all day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The updating of SB's is in the backlog for implementation, (which means it is possible at some future date).

I agree with Osgood though, in that doing so now may be of little help to Dw users as those who wish updated SB's have probably purchased extensions or moved to another product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed DW users who wish to have up to date queries or server behaviours have indeed moved on or paid out for web developers (such as myself).

My point is really if the software is being updated and continued (which it is and is part of my expensive CC package) then there is little point in this if a major part of its functionality is useless. Whats the point in selling a car which has got one gear?

I love Dreamweaver and would like to continue using it - sometimes I get bored of resorting to Wordpress and want my Dreamweaver back up and running... My query is really for Adobe to either get on with it after all these years and update the thing so the SBs work and do what they are supposed to do and help build websites - or just put it out of its misery!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Christopher35  wrote

I love Dreamweaver and would like to continue using it - sometimes I get bored of resorting to Wordpress and want my Dreamweaver back up and running... My query is really for Adobe to either get on with it after all these years and update the thing so the SBs work and do what they are supposed to do and help build websites - or just put it out of its misery!

You will not get an official reply from Adobe in this forum, unless it is to announce that the pre-release version has included updated SB's and is available for testing, (don't hold your breath though).

A major part of the problem, was that years ago the Dw team decided that the future of anything that would require SB's, was better served by 'free' cms's such as wordpress, and at the time it was. Since then many have come to realise that much is missing from free cms's.

Look at dmxzone for extensions using pdo, (or even consider their Wappler app).

As for putting Dw out of its misery. My sentiments, your words.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do we actually know anything about why Dw is so backwards in coming forwards? Its been a puzzlement for years. Why do they persist with it? I mean the updates are infrequent and mostly contain bug fixes, which should have been fixed months prior. I'm at a lose because of the silence from the DW Team, no road map which reveals anything innovative or exciting. Its like an old lady on crutches, just struggling along. Frankly Its probably a thorn in Adobes side I would think, given their track record for killng competition off or do they now just view it as a 'freebie' for anyone with the full CC subscription and laugh at the few smucks that pay full whack for a single over priced app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually Os, I do know the answer to your questions.

Unfortunatly they are covered by NDA, so all I will say is that I left the relevant Dw development programs in disgust at the teams, and many other participants of those programs, attitudes towards modern web development, and the requirerments of same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreeing to a NDA in the case of DW is hilarious, whats to hide in the last 4 years that one wouldnt expect from a web application. You would think if DW was considered a progressive modern web app some tasty sound bytes, from those upstairs, would keep the appetite for even considering using it going but the silence is not only deafening but very revealing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It goes a lot further back than 4 years Os.

Public knowledge -

When asked why Adobe acquired Macromedia, the answer by an Adobe director was one word 'Flash', (followed by flash is the future, etc. etc).

Then Adobe got into a very public disagreement with Google over Chrome, Google for its dropping of flash support for Android, (then Chrome desktop). Chromes removal of css regions from Chrome, plus a few other Adobe W3C specs, (remember Adobe had spent many millions aquirering Macromedia).

There were a number of other minor incidents, with the result -

The reallocation of many developers from the Dw team to other Adobe projects, (Muse, AEM, Edge products, etc).

Adobe dropping support for anything W3C, such as the adobe web platform team, (many of the team previously worked on Dw).

Anyone disagreeing being 'asked to leave'.

The Edge products being eventually 'binned', as they were only a 'look at what we are doing with html5 etc' offering anyway.

That's only those worth mentioning.

Plus lots of other reasons, along with those that are NDA.

If you go back to the time of Dw 5.5, to pre CC2014 the then Dw project managers did join in discussions in this forum, in which the reasons for not updating then removing SB's, (plus other features, such as flexbox support, etc) are discussed and given, (some posts may have been removed during the time many of my posts were removed).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whilst agreeing with pziecina​ and osgood_​, I think that the gradual demise of Dreamweaver is the lack of ownership by the Dreamweaver development Team. The Team are told what to do, reflecting a top down approach instead of having a more productive bottom up approach that includes users.

Edit: Arrogance is the word that comes to mind.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have use DW since version 3, through it's glory days where server behaviors were really something you could quickly build stuff with, culminating with the Interakt Server Behaviours (a really stellar product at the time, to build a custom site with quite some decent pro functionalities). I stopped at DW8, kept it as a code editor for a long time and never found any added value in CS3,4,5,6. The Phone Gap intergration was a good idea... half baked as everything else

Dropping the server behaviors was a cheap and useless move. Dropping ADDT (fomer Interakt Kollection) was also uninspired, especially in the context of investing in a plethora of other tools that came an went. Also the reasoning that "people will use CMSs don't need that" was half baked. People Working with Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla etc needed no bloated DW for that However, they pushed Spry and in 2019 they still have jQuery Mobile & UI as "frameworks". Come on people.... Awhy not Angular, React, Vue, etc. It's not like there aren't options to choose from.

There is NO sense and direction in this tool. It is kept for it's name, a name that may have some marketing resonance to people that do no know what it really is. A code editor no better than others... with a whole bunch of extra "features" that maybe 10% of the people use.

Brackets? Not so fast, has live preview, enables moder technologies and it's free. Honestly, I thing DW is kept on just as a portfolio piece for Adobe but there are no branis there to try to make somethin out of it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes I've been there from the start of DW and am a big fan - used to love building sites using the SBs and connecting everything up - building admin areas.. searches.. image uploads, everything really. Bought the Interakt suite of products.. was pretty good while it lasted and it felt good using all the functionality. Adobe need to bring the SBs up to date and its back to being useable and happy days. If there are 3rd party commercial extensions that can do it - why not Adobe? Such nonsense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines