Highlighted

An FTP error occurred - cannot make connection to host. User limite reached or not authorized to make the connection due to local firewall blocking FTP data.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As from this afternoon I get this error when trying to connect to any FTP server for all the sites I manage with Dreamweaver. There was no problem this morning and I didn't change any settings anywhere. I wonder what happened and how I can connect again.

I am using Dreamweaver CC on iMac OSX Mavericks.

Topics

Product issue, Publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

An FTP error occurred - cannot make connection to host. User limite reached or not authorized to make the connection due to local firewall blocking FTP data.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As from this afternoon I get this error when trying to connect to any FTP server for all the sites I manage with Dreamweaver. There was no problem this morning and I didn't change any settings anywhere. I wonder what happened and how I can connect again.

I am using Dreamweaver CC on iMac OSX Mavericks.

Topics

Product issue, Publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi bigvissie13,

Can you check with your service provider about the problem to see if they changed anything at their end? If everything was working as intended previously and you have made no changes to your computer, this would be the first step I would suggest.

Thanks,

Preran

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does say that local firewall is blocking things - do you have your local firewall enabled?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firewall is disabled...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Preran,

Already checked with my provider. Also, making an FTP connection with other clients is no problem.

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you by any chance on a corporate network? FTP connections are sometimes barred on corporate networks..

Can you try typing in the FTP address in your browser and see if its reachable, while on the same network?

A screenshot of the error message will be all the more helpful.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, all! Installing DW CC 2014 seems to have solved the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to know its resolved.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While using DW CS6 and CC, an FTP error occurred – cannot make connection to host. User limite reached or not authorized to make the connection due to local firewall blocking FTP data.

I use a Mac OSX 10.6.8 on my desktop and Maverick on my Mac Laptop. I have DW CC on both. The Firewall is set to “on” on both devices. My server has ports 21 and 22 ports open as well and I was still getting the firewall block error.

I started experiencing the FTP issues with DW after I had my server rehardened for security.

What happened was I could FTP only using Cpanel FTP managers, which is slow and cumbersome. I could not use ANY FTP clients, such as Cynerduck, Filezilla, and DW CS6 or DW CC. I could connect but not upload or download data files. In some cases the attempt to upload a file would delete it from my directory using DW any version!

After months of research on forums I gave up. I found no solutions… Until recently, there was a post about using Pure FTPd vs. Pro FTPd under WHM. The default is set to Pure FTPd. You do not want this setting. You need more flexibility. You must make sure your server admin sets your FTP Server Selection under WHM to Pro_FTPd. This immediately fixed the upload and download issue with DW CC.

Another important note: If you have problems uploading a folder’s content make sure you change the folder’s permissions to 755 or 777. I was able to upload selecting the files under the folder, not the folder itself. In some cases my FTP upload would upload some files and errorred on others. I simply reselected them individually and they uploaded fine. Why this happens I’m not sure. It might be a server setting

You must make sure your FTP Server Selection is Pro_FTPd for Dreamweaver CS6 and CC to work properly.

I hope this helps everyone on here!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting your solutions.

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just getting ready to dump Dreamweaver CC because the FTP was so slow that I was not able to be productive enough to get my job done each day. It was driving me nuts waiting 20 to 40 seconds for each FTP!

But I just tried the recommendation by to use PRO_FTP on my Linux server and it sure looks like it's fixed the problem.

With so many people having this FTP problem and most of us working on hosted Linux servers, you would think that this working solution was be all over the web!

Thank you !!

Dennis

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is all Greek to me. What the heck is Pro_FTPd? I am just a mere mortal and am experiencing the FTP connection problem described in this forum. Please help me understand what to do -- in plain English if possible. Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this error today when I moved from DW CC 2014 to DW CC 2015.

Fixed it by going into Site > Manage Site > Servers > Remote Servers > More Options > Turned off Passive FTP.

let me know if it works for you.

Dan

3 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gnewman8567 wrote:

What the heck is Pro_FTPd?

This suggestion can only be utilized by your hosting provider. It is software loaded on the server, not on your local machine. Couldn't hurt to ask them

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nope, didn't work for me sorry.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Lucy,

I've made a video on the types of FTP issues my students often have and how to fix them. Check it out here: 43 5 things to try An FTP error occurred - Dreamweaver Tutorial - YouTube 

1 Like

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked perfectly for me

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've found that if you connect using SFTP ,your sites IP address, username and Password  Dreamweaver connects ,

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is WHM and were is it?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe in the context used, WHM stands for Web Host Manager.

It would be part of your hosting account on your server, check with your hosting company.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this error message and mine turned out to be that I set up CloudFlare for this website. The fix was to "Connect using: ftp.yourdomain.com"

as mentioned here:

Will re-routing through CloudFlare affect my use of FTP uploading? – CloudFlare Support

5 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cloud flare fix worked for me

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's great Melissa. I'm so glad that fix worked for you too! (I was kicking myself when I realized my ftp was affected by the cloudfare settling I had changed earlier in the day!!)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the FTP address from the numerical IP address to the domain address is what fixed this ongoing problem for me.

My sites are on GoDaddy, and I actually think this is something they changed on their end fairly recently.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Dreamweaver 2018 and cannot connect to HostGator. Do not know what to do.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you connect with a dedicated FTP client like Filezilla?

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For HostGator: I changed my login to the control panel login instead of the ftp login I was given.

It worked!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution was also to change the ftp address to that of my subdomain. The configuration given to me wanted me to use the top-level domain.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you please tell what protocol you are trying to connect with.

I mean if it is FTP, FTPs(explicit), FTPs(implicit), SFTP.

Also, what error you are getting. Sharing a snapshot would help.

Thanks,

Mahak Kudyar

Adobe Dreamweaver.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I just switched to Cloudflare and I was having this problem.  Once I changed my Dreamweaver site set up to "FTP Address: ftp.mydomain.com" It was fixed.

Thank you so much!  You saved the day with your answer!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so glad that my post helped you! I know that feeling when someone shares something that fixes your problem. I've had so many people help me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Dreamweaver 18.2 is live. It can be downloaded from creative cloud Desktop application.

It includes the SFTP connection issue fix, Please refer to release notes:

Release notes for the 2018 and 2017 releases of Dreamweaver

Thanks

Kratika Agarwal

Adobe Dreamweaver

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adding "ftp" worked for me

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to connect to localhost -- on my own machine -- to test Dreamweaver work.  I get the same error.  No, I'm not on a corporate network. Yes, my firewall is turned off.  I have no problem to connect to my remote production server. The application help is similar; "type the perfectly qualified answer in this box and it will work."  Call you ISP for the perfect answer. No suggestions. No best practices.

What astounds me about this thread is that (a) every suggestion is about something irrelevant (like corporate network), and (b) that the users eventually discovered their own solutions.  From this I learned that I should stop googling the perfect thread and just muddle my way through it.

Rant terminated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Localhost is your computer not a remote server.

How is this 2 year old thread relevant to your question?  It's not.  It has absolutely nothing to do with localhost.  It was a problem connecting to the remote host's server.

Have you installed a local testing server -- wamp, xampp, mamp or mamp pro?

Is your local testing server running as it should be?

Have you properly defined the local testing server in DW site definition settings?

Did you choose the correct server type under the Advanced tab?

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Nancy --

I'm not sure where else localhost could be but on one's own computer.  I got exactly the error message which is the title of this thread. It seemed relevant to me.  I'm not sure the code has changed in two years.  It wasn't unlikely that I would find a good answer here.  So I tried.

In answer to your questions:

* MAMP is installed and running fine, without conflict on port 8888.

* I have properly identified the testing server in DW.  I created my own php page that tells time.  It works flawlessly.

* Yes, I chose the correct server type -- PHP and MySQL.

The site works on my local machine.  I can view it in DW.  I am prompted to "discover" other dynamically-related files.  When I do, I get an error. When I test the testing (i.e. local) server configuration, I see yet again the error that is the title of this thread.

Your presumption that I am stupid may well be correct.  Your assertion that the thread is irrelevant to my problem is not.  But thanks for your interest.

Robert

ps. Here is a very long, but very helpful, post that may fix the problems of others who happen on this thread: Setting up a PHP development environment for Dreamweaver | Adobe Developer Connection

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The title of this discussion is "An FTP error occurred - cannot make connection to host"

The OP from 2 years ago couldn't connect to his remote server.

You're working locally.  Localhost is not host.  Localhost is your computer.  And you don't connect to your own computer with FTP.  You use local/network, right?

"Dynamically related files.." warnings can be caused by several things.  I see it quite often in my own sites when I have nested server-side includes within other server-side includes.  I just ignore the warnings .

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea, ACP
Alt-Web.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
Learn Resources
Add a group