How do we remove this malware/virus called "creative cloud"?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are running Photoshop and Illustrator in an enterprise environment and we don't want creative cloud on this environment. Unfortunately, every time you deploy Photoshop or Illustrator on a server, this "creative cloud" malware/virus auto-installs itself (this is what makes it a malware/virus). 

I have blocked creative cloud in the firewall, and have become pretty adept at finding all the pieces of this malware/virus and removing it, but is there a way to ensure it never installs in the first place? 

Thanks. I'm getting absolutely sick and tired of this, I'm looking to a way to have it reported as a virus and added to my anti-virus malware/virus definitions. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, its not a virus. If you are in the enterprise you know that software often has complex frameworks and multiple pieces. Leave the installation alone. Photoshop and Illustrator are PARTS of Creative Cloud and if you start deleting things you will be back here complaining about your software not working.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any program that installs that auto-installs and runs itself without the user's permission is by definition a virus.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ITS NOT A VIRUS! YOU HAVE TO EXPLICITLY INSTALL IT!!!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it installs itself whenever you install a different piece software (Photoshop or Illustrator). That's what makes it a virus. If I install Chrome, and another program I didn't not give permission to run auto-installs itself without permission and sets it up to start up when you computer starts and runs in the background, all without permission, that's called a VIRUS. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and I would check your licensing to make sure it can be installed and run the way you are doing. Adobe generally intends its programs to be run on a workstation and licensing is per-seat.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can. We have a license for every seat. We just want to remove the "creative cloud" malware/virus.

I even talked to support to get a version of the installers that don't include the malware/virus, which they provided, but the installers still secretly installed creative cloud, the difference is they simply don't tell you it's being installed but it shows up on the machine after the install process anyways. This is how viruses and other malicious malware operate. Adobe needs to be punished for this, and users need a way to eliminate this malware/virus from their machines and prevent it from installing.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't understand how software works. Creative Cloud and Photoshop/Illustrator ARE THE SAME THING.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a sysdmin, I do this for a living, I probably know a lot more about software than you.

It's very simple, if it's the same program, how come I can remove it and Photoshop and Illustrator still run?

It's not the "same program" is a malware/virus that Adobe bundled with their software because they don't respect their customers and think it's OK to push malware/viruses on their customer's computers. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doubtful that you know more about software but ok. Would you be happier if each application had every shared library and resource stuffed into the .exe instead of out on disk someplace?

The fact is here that you are mischaracterizing Creative Cloud and its ridiculous. You need to stop or just uninstall everything and move on.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that fact that you think malicious software that installs itself without a user's permission is not a virus or malware shows you don't know much about software or IT to start with. The fact that you claim CC is "part of photoshop" when photoshop runs just fine if you manually remove the CC virus provides further evidence that you don't know much about software.

Alternatively, you do know plenty about software [ abuse removed by moderator ]

Ultimately, I didn't come here to debate with virus / malware apologists [ abuse removed by moderator ]. I wanted a solution to this problem. If all you can provide is excuses, I think there's nothing else for me here.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long and short: No. Why Adobe are pushing it upon enterprise users is hard to understand, anyway.

Mylenium

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@escapetosaturn wrote:

We are running Photoshop and Illustrator in an enterprise environment and we don't want creative cloud on this environment.

Since this is not a question about how to use Photoshop, I have moved this thread to Enterprise and Teams. If this is the wrong place, they will advise.

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@escapetosaturn wrote:

but is there a way to ensure it never installs in the first place? 

To answer your question, the only way I (personally) am aware of is to not install any Creative Cloud apps. 

Here's how Norton defines a computer virus.

435CBBD2-A9F8-48DC-8602-BFF7771AF544.jpeg

To confirm on your setup: 

• Is Creative Cloud being installed host to host?
  • Does it spread from one computer to another?
  • Does it corrupt or destroy data?

Did you read the installation instructions?

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/download-install-Photoshop.html

If so, did you read the part where it says the Creative Cloud desktop app will launch on installation?

Jane

Forum volunteer

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any program that installs itself without permission while piggy-backed onto another program is a virus. If you are trying to hide a cherry-picked definition of a virus, it's still malware. Either way, it's malicious software that installs itself without permission. It needs to be reported to malwarebytes and AV as a virus so it's removed automatically and blocked, until Adobe learns to ask the user's permission before installing software. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, why you would ever try to defend software installing itself without a user's permission is beyond me. I guess Adobe is relying on [ abuse removed by moderator ]to protect them from the backlash from their anti-user, anti-consumer behavior, but the true is they need to be punished for it so they learn their lesson.

Fortunately, most other developers are not malicious like Adobe is, and most don't try the same stunts, but I bet if what Adobe does with CC became common practice, you'd see AV programs and other security-oriented software stepping up to shut down such a toxic and dangerous (from a security perspective) trend. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do totally agree with escapetosaturn,

creative cloud run like a virus, i disable it to star by when i on the computer beacause it kill my data paket, but it still start even without permition, i try to uninstal it, no no no! it block me... impossible! 

I am a long time coustomer of adobe suite, i love photoshop and lightroom, i pay for it ! but in the resent year this way of forsing the customer to be connected at all time is getting more and more on my nerv,  i lost few day of work because i was not able to get a connection (i leave in laos where the internet is really bad)  I HAVE A LICENCE , I PAY FOR IT  but i still get block by this virus way of doing things i really would like to buy the [ removed by moderator ] software and use it in peace!

by the way sometime i am watching netflix and boom no more connection,, i open processus and ho surprise it is adobe who suck it all i kill the processu... it came back ! LIKE A VIRUS.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bro its what makes photoshop run lol

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, Photoshop runs fine without it. All the CC programs run fine without it. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well it isnt exactly what makes it works. with one google search, you can find that creative cloud is the software adobe uses in order to install their apps avalible with your licence. they require you to use it  (probably for a faster place to install plugins for photoshop etc) for more of a way for adobe users to access apps more easily. it isnt malicious in the slightest, im pretty sure in the terms and conditions of any adobe app that creative cloud is required to be installed with ANY adobe apps installed. 

just aware, it isnt a malware. me and 99% percent of adobe users use creative cloud to easily access my adobe apps

ps. you can use it without creative cloud, it just makes it harder to install apps 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this have the virus way of running,   it start without permission it restart when shutdown and it run even when we don’t use photoshop... it kill my internet flow and data ... Adobe must think about people who did not have a permanent good connection, and the worst is when it force you to do un update, if you refuse it close the program! and that day the connection was almost zero, it took the all day to make that update, when i finally can open the program it was night already, lost a complete day of work! unacceptable. we do our part we pay for it and we cannot use it at all time ? should i ask for a partial refund? 

[  removed by moderator ] 

IT is time that Adobe start to respect his costumer and provide a solution that run without interruption… without been connected at all time…

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally a virus. I actually think it's spyware. We've been dealing with this Adobe nightmare for nearly a year. Can't tell you how many thousands of dollars we've spent on finding a remedy. Even bought new computers and as you said, it will come back on no matter what you do. And when you think you're logged out, you're not. Your computer is actually in idle and never shuts down. They also plant thousands images everywhere in folders. The problem we've encountered is that once you delete these phony AI and PS apps they reinstall more roots making it impossible to get rid of. Each time I erase all of the Adobe assets they escalated and made matters worse. With each deletion, they come on stronger and been locked out of all of our computers. Let's see if Apple store was able to clean it out. They did before but the moment the machines came back to the office - Boom! It started all over and it's definitely due to someone hacking remotely and managing your computer. People think I am crazy but I've made this my mission to beat these [ removed by moderator ]. Three macs ended essentially useless. And the people at apple are even more useless and have no care to even take a look. They still sit on high horses stating that apple devices cannot get hacked. The creative cloud, which we've used is the culprit. I know how it works...someone has taken authoritative roles over your devices and managing your computer real time and each time you delete a file, it reappears instantly and they will block you from uninstalling it. Wifi is what keeps it alive. The middle man attack comes in through captive portals, local and public networks that just auto sign you in. To Wifi. This problem has even followed me home and infected all of our phones and my childrens phones too. Do not charge your phone on the computer because that will spread to everyone in your contacts. The real problem here is Apple. They have back doors everywhere and still, they insist that the computers are fine. I've gotten on the hackers back end and have seen how this works. Again, they can hit you by just turning on the computer. The cycle starts all over. I feel for you. It's devastating and has left me without a working computer since Oct 2021. Let me know if you want to join this fight. Apple and Adobe will definitely hear from me. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree it's a virus. I've been trying to 'uninstall' Creative Cloud for some time ( I didn't install it in the first place and have absolutely no need for any design related software as I'm training to be a psychologist!)  It definitely seems to be spyware and seems to add program after program the reason for which is known only to Adobe! In the last two days my emails have 'frozen' and reduced from 29,885 emails on my Macbook Air ( yes too many I know) to 66! Most are not important but many are crucial as they are all my files for my current family court procedures .......that Apple have seen fit to place on a cloud somewhere that is entirely inaccessible to me. My emails now also state that I now only have 19,000 left ( all photographed on the bottom left of the screen). When I addressed the issue with Apple Ireland they tried to tell me that the notification I received from Apple that someone was using my Apple ID to sign in to a device in Peterborough, UK was actually myself logging in, in Devon about 500 miles away ( which I have photgraphed and kept). They insisted that 'the map' uses an estimated location. They refused to address the issue of data security breach and data theft and when I asked for the issue to be escalated to a senior manager, each one I spoke to (3 in total) said that they were the highest customer facing operative on duty that day and refused. As they were not the CEO of Apple I doubt that! They then tried very hard to get additional information from me about what other devices I use ( my phone is not linked to my laptop ). Governments on both sides of the Atlantic should be doing something about this abuse of Human Rights ( ECHR Article 8) however while waiting for that to happen ( could be a long wait) consumers need to club together and take action against this clear malappropriation of private data and computer functioning. Like the Williams v Apple class action case in California currently running. This practice is WRONG.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Use the Adobe cleaner tool and remove everything from your computer. But let's not make things up.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines