• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sharepoint 2013 PDF check out and open option

Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2014 Jan 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few months back I made the change to my DOCICON.xml file to enable the integration with Acrobat and Sharepoint to prompt the user to "Check Out and Open" PDF files in document libraries in Sharepoint 2013. It worked fine and as expected.

After applying CU's to Sharepoint up to October 2013, this function seems to have gone away. I verified that the DOCICON.xml settings are correct.  Ex: <Mapping Key="pdf" Value="pdficon_small.png" OpenControl="AdobeAcrobat.OpenDocuments" />

I can still get the "check out..." prompt if I open the document libraries with Windows Explorer, but not when PDF's are opened directly on Sharepoint. I have a support case opened with Microsoft, but they seem to point the problem at Adobe.

I have verified that the AcroPDF.dll is on each client and is enabled in IE. The PDF files open with Acrobat, but the check out prompt is not showing up unless I open the Sharepoint library with Explorer.

Have tried different Acrobat versions (10 and 11) as well as different IE versions (9,10,11)..etc...and Windows 7 or Windows 8, but the check out function does not seem to work when opening PDF's directly from Sharepoint 2013

TOPICS
Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 19, 2014 Mar 19, 2014

Microsoft support just helped me with this issue. A published fix is likely to come out soon. The following steps are just my re-write of their instructions. As with all fixes or workarounds, I recommend you test first.

Other things to be aware of before you implement this is that all PDF files will open with the "check-out" function whether or not your library settings say "open in browser" or not and I don't think any other settings will matter as the javascript file is controlling. Changes yo

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2015 Jan 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone tested this on a My Sites site collection? This solution is working great on our Portal sites, but it doesn't seem to work in user's OneDrive folders on My Sites. Adobe tries to open the PDF, but gives the error "There was an error opening this document. File open failed." In addition it seems to cause Folder names to disappear randomly within OneDrive document libraries. Any idea why this would act differently on a My Sites site collection?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2015 Mar 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if I'm adding to the confusion or actually answering the issue. I'm running SharePoint Server 2013 Standard SP1 on 2012 R2. I was on this site a couple times because my users like to modify .pdf's after uploaded. After the said CU, which I applied October 2014, check out from SharePoint was broken. .pdf's could be checked out via Acrobat, but, extra steps for my users make them angry. By coincidence, I rebuilt a few SharePoint service applications and magically, checking .pdf's in and out via SharePoint works again. Now, here is where you get mad at me because I don't 100% remember which services I rebuilt. I believe it was BDC, state service, secure store, and word automation. I can tell you I didn't touch search, metadata, or user profile. I haven't tested this in any manner, but I throw this out there in case it's actually a resolution for the problem. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 27, 2015 Dec 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone tested this on a My Sites site collection? This solution is working great on our Portal sites, but it doesn’t seem to work in user’s OneDrive folders on My Sites. Adobe tries to open the PDF, but gives the error “There was an error opening this document. File open failed.” In addition it seems to cause Folder names to disappear randomly within OneDrive document libraries. Any idea why this would act differently on a My Sites site collection?    http://www.traininginsholinganallur.in/web-designing-training-in-chennai.html  |   http://www.traininginsholinganallur.in/php-training-in-chennai.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 01, 2016 Feb 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hii everyone, I am new to this forum.. Your answer is really useful for me. Thanks for sharing valuable information.

Regards..

Big Data Training in Chennai | Primavera Training in Chennai | Big Data Training in Chennai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2016 Apr 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said in the previous post, we implemented the pdffix.js. However we noticed that the PDF files open in Acrobat Reader even if the user has Acrobat Pro installed. Do you experience the same behavior? Do you know how to change it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2016 Apr 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines