• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader X - Disable "Display PDF in Browser" via Registry

Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2012 Jul 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to configure my organization's Windows workstations so that web-based PDF files open in Adobe Reader rather than in internet browsers. I have been able to configure Adobe Reader 9 installations to open web-based PDF files in Reader rather than internet browsers by using the following registry setting:

HiveHKEY_CURRENT_USER
Key pathSoftware\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\9.0\Originals
Value namebBrowserIntegration
Value typeREG_DWORD
Value data0x0 (0)

My problem lies with Adobe Reader X: I used the following settings in attempting to prevent Adobe Reader X installations from opening web-based PDFs in internet browsers:

HiveHKEY_CURRENT_USER
Key pathSoftware\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\Originals
Value namebBrowserIntegration
Value typeREG_DWORD
Value data0x0 (0)

HiveHKEY_CURRENT_USER
Key pathSoftware\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\Originals
Value namebAllowByteRangeRequests
Value typeREG_DWORD
Value data0x0 (0)

HiveHKEY_CURRENT_USER
Key pathSoftware\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0\AVGeneral
Value namebBrowserDisplayInReadMode
Value typeREG_DWORD
Value data0x0 (0)

I've only had partial success, though. Internet Explorer respects the registry settings and opens web-based PDFs in Reader X. Firefox 14.0.1, though, ignores the registry settings and opens web-based PDFs in Firefox.

Is there a different registry setting I should be using so that Firefox sees "Display PDF in Browser" unchecked and allows web-based PDFs to be opened in Reader X? Is there another method I should be following for deploying this setting to Adobe Reader X clients?

TOPICS
Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 31, 2012 Jul 31, 2012

Hi,

We'll, you've educated yourself well. Unfortunately, Acrobat products can't control what browsers do so uniform behavior is not possible.  The setting is Adobe's best attempt and forcing some consistency.

The ReadMode setting only controls what happens in the UI after the PDF is open.

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We'll, you've educated yourself well. Unfortunately, Acrobat products can't control what browsers do so uniform behavior is not possible.  The setting is Adobe's best attempt and forcing some consistency.

The ReadMode setting only controls what happens in the UI after the PDF is open.

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the other hand, as the IT guy, you should be able to prevent the install of any PDF viewer plugins for FireFox which may be the real solution.

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ben,

I'll investigate disabling Firefox add-ons as I see an Acrobat Reader add-on present on my test machine.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines