• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot create a proper .pkg for Mac and Jamf

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, whenever I try to create an installer package for Macs through the Adobe Admin Console it no longer comes out correct.  I'll get a .zip file, open it up, find my installation .pkg file and if I run it on my Mac it will install, but when I copy it over to our server to be pushed out through Jamf, any machine I copy it to will only see it as a directory rather than a .pkg file as it does with everything else.

I have created packages for MacOS before with no problems, but now I seem unable to.

If I download the package onto my PC I get a zip file with the various files included, if I download it on my mac a get a zip file that has a package downloader inside and THAT will download the various bits including the .pkg file.   Either way, it's been a no go.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-JB

TOPICS
Admin console , Deploy and package apps , Enterprise

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Hi JB,

We have had one more user report this issue to us which is currently under investigation by our product engineering. In order to help with our investigation, can you please confirm the version of Mac OS on the target machines where you're deploying these packages?

Also, during deployment through JAMF, are you able to access the following location on a client machine: /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Downloads/<packagename>.pkg.unzip/Test_Install.pkg/Contents/Resources/ASU_5.0

Best Rega

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JB,

We have had one more user report this issue to us which is currently under investigation by our product engineering. In order to help with our investigation, can you please confirm the version of Mac OS on the target machines where you're deploying these packages?

Also, during deployment through JAMF, are you able to access the following location on a client machine: /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Downloads/<packagename>.pkg.unzip/Test_Install.pkg/Contents/Resources/ASU_5.0

Best Regards,

Ankit Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ankit,

I appologize for failing to respond before now.

The problem is that the Adobe Admin Console presents me with a downloader tool that then downloads a folder with "Build" and "Exceptions" folders inside it, along with a .ccp file.  The installer and uninstaller .pkg are in the "Build" folder, but when I take the installer .pkg and move it to out Jamf server (or anywhere that uses a Windows file system) the .pkg is treated as a folder rather than a file.  Which makes it unusable in Jamf.

The .pkg will run and install fine on my Macbook, it's just any situation where it has to be moved to a Windows-based server.

If I have a .pkg for something that I build with Autopkg, Firefox for example, that .pkg will be treated as a file and NOT as a folder on a Windows machine.

Up until a few months ago I feel like the Admin Console gave me useable .PKGs.

Thanks,

-JB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, have you been able to solve the problem? It happens exactly the same.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this ever resolved?

-Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. We have a Windows based MDM wich can handle only pkg Files. But the packages we download from the Adobe Admin Console appear on Windows as a Directory and not as a pkg file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

open the support tab on your admin console > start chat or start case or request expert session.

https://helpx.adobe.com/enterprise/using/support-and-expert-services.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, here is the explanation (translated from German to English) from the engineering team from our support case:

---------------
Currently, the packages created by the Admin Console are packaged in the older macOS bundle style, which compresses the package and therefore appears as a folder on Windows. It is not recommended to copy these types of packages to a Windows machine as they can become corrupted. You should use a Mac machine to deploy these packages. Unfortunately, there is no way to manually modify these PKG files to be usable in your scenario. The packages from other vendors are apparently created in the newer flat style, which allows the use of these PKG files in Baramundi. There are currently no plans to change the package creation in the console to flat style for MacOS.
---------------

If someone knows a good working way to convert the bundle PKGs provided by Adobe to flat PKGs (as they exist for Google Chrome Enterprise, Mozilla Firefox or Zoom) we would be grateful. Even if Adobe does not recommend this, it would be interesting for testing purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found that if I compress the pkg then add to Composer, it created a deployable Jamf pkg for MacOS...Composer repackages the contents of the zip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Andre27584177goo4 

check @danielw46572884's post to see if that works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your tip, but we're using Baramundi. We don't have Jamf and its Composer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2024 Apr 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Im having the sam eissue and it is driving me nuts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines