Highlighted

PDF Printer redirection in Citrix 7.5 not working

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning.

Our health authority recently switched to Adobe Acrobat XI Pro, and one of the apps that our users have been using is now hosted in Xenapp 7.5 (running on Windows Server 2012)  and the majority of our clients computers as Windows 7 with a rolling technology refresh that will eventually see all devices replaced with Windows 10 but completion of that is years out and our users can't wait that long. For some unknown reason, the printer that is created with this version of Acrobat does not want to redirect in the users Citrix session when using Xeanapp 7.5. If we host the program in Xenapp 6.5 (Server 2008), the Adobe printer redirects using the Universal Print Driver with ease.

Acrobat is installed on the clients computer and is not delivered via Citrix.

I have read that redirected printers will only be created if the host has a driver that is appropriate for the client's printer.

We've tried installing the Citrix Universal PDF driver with no success, and regressing to Citrix 6.5 is not an option. I've spent two days searching for an answer only to find way too many unanswered questions and no definitive resolution. We've also tried doing a manual install of the printers drivers going through the long list one by one to see what installed, what didn't, and there was never any change when we launched the Citrix 7.5 sessions.

My server and Citrix admins have verified that no GPO's are present on these servers that would prevent PDF printer creation, and third party PDF creators redirect with no issue. If RDP to a Windows 10 virtual machine, the Adobe PDF printer redirects and uses the Remote Desktop Easy Print driver, and if we connect to the Citrix app from the Windows 10 VM the Adobe PDF printer redirects and is usable in the Citrix session.

I'm out of ideas and patience with this and would appreciate some answers from others that might have been able to tackle and fix this issue.

Cheers.

I wish I could give you the really long answer to that but I think it best to summarize it as that decision is made by another IT team and they're directed to package applications as directed by someone who gets paid a lot more than both of us combined.

We did however boil it down to a driver versioning issue: The citrix server was running 2012 and the UPD with Xenapp 7.5 doesn't seem compatible with the WIn 7 Adobe PDF printer driver.

We're currently working on packaging and deploying CutePDF writer for any clients that are looking for just document to PDF conversion and not requiring the full blown PDF authorizing suite that Acrobat provides.

Topics

Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

PDF Printer redirection in Citrix 7.5 not working

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning.

Our health authority recently switched to Adobe Acrobat XI Pro, and one of the apps that our users have been using is now hosted in Xenapp 7.5 (running on Windows Server 2012)  and the majority of our clients computers as Windows 7 with a rolling technology refresh that will eventually see all devices replaced with Windows 10 but completion of that is years out and our users can't wait that long. For some unknown reason, the printer that is created with this version of Acrobat does not want to redirect in the users Citrix session when using Xeanapp 7.5. If we host the program in Xenapp 6.5 (Server 2008), the Adobe printer redirects using the Universal Print Driver with ease.

Acrobat is installed on the clients computer and is not delivered via Citrix.

I have read that redirected printers will only be created if the host has a driver that is appropriate for the client's printer.

We've tried installing the Citrix Universal PDF driver with no success, and regressing to Citrix 6.5 is not an option. I've spent two days searching for an answer only to find way too many unanswered questions and no definitive resolution. We've also tried doing a manual install of the printers drivers going through the long list one by one to see what installed, what didn't, and there was never any change when we launched the Citrix 7.5 sessions.

My server and Citrix admins have verified that no GPO's are present on these servers that would prevent PDF printer creation, and third party PDF creators redirect with no issue. If RDP to a Windows 10 virtual machine, the Adobe PDF printer redirects and uses the Remote Desktop Easy Print driver, and if we connect to the Citrix app from the Windows 10 VM the Adobe PDF printer redirects and is usable in the Citrix session.

I'm out of ideas and patience with this and would appreciate some answers from others that might have been able to tackle and fix this issue.

Cheers.

I wish I could give you the really long answer to that but I think it best to summarize it as that decision is made by another IT team and they're directed to package applications as directed by someone who gets paid a lot more than both of us combined.

We did however boil it down to a driver versioning issue: The citrix server was running 2012 and the UPD with Xenapp 7.5 doesn't seem compatible with the WIn 7 Adobe PDF printer driver.

We're currently working on packaging and deploying CutePDF writer for any clients that are looking for just document to PDF conversion and not requiring the full blown PDF authorizing suite that Acrobat provides.

Topics

Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, any particular reason you only just switched to a product that is already EOL and out of support?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you were using the current version I'd refer you to the Acrobat Enterprise Deployment Guide, but a lot changed after XI, so I think that would be counterproductive. Glad you have a solution.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines