• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Two users, one computer, one team subscription, one CC folder

Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a small team subscription. We have set up two Windows users on one computer (because each user wants a different keyboard layout, non-CC files, etc.) and they each have a C:/username/Creative Cloud Files/ folder synced to the cloud.

That's all fine, but it's inefficient from a syncing point of view and from a drive space and (because it's on C:) overall performance point of view. So we'd rather have D:/Creative Cloud Files/ [note the lack of username in that path!] synced to the cloud by both users, and do away completely with the two C:/username/Creative Cloud Files/ folders.

Could you walk me through the steps I should follow so I get it right on the first try and -- most important! -- don't accidentally lose all our files.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Well, I tried a few tests. And a) it didn't work b) I'm sure it's unsupported.

At the specified Sync Location, it'll actually create separate child folders for each user who signs in to the Creative Cloud desktop app. The one for the active user is visible. The other is hidden. So actually every user's file is stored in a separate folder.

So I think that it actually makes sense to use the "user" folders, so that the OS security will keep every users' file secure.

And, no. If Sync is off for a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know.  I'm moving your question to Enterprise & Teams.  Hopefully one of the Team experts can answer this. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

You can change the location of Creative Cloud sync folder from the settings in the Creative Cloud desktop app:

• Open the Creative Cloud desktop app.
  • Click the gear icon in the upper-right corner. 
  • Click Syncing in the sidebar and click the edit icon
  • Choose the location where you want to move the local version of the Creative Cloud files folder.
  • Click Done to save your changes.

Once the location is changed, the folder and files are automatically moved to the new location. 

For more details see:  https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/set-sync-options.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While this is indeed the method to update the sync location, I'm not sure if this will work for your "two" users scenario. I haven't tried this myself, but I think there will be a metadata mismatch, as the sync process is tied to each user.

To try and reduce amount of disk space consumed on the computer, you could try (again I haven't done this, so exercise extreme caution) is, "disable sync" for one of the users. So that only one users sync files to the cloud.

Do let us know how it goes. I'm extremely curious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for expressing curiosity, Vikrant! I find that curiosity is a very necessary prerequisite to the perserverance required to solve a tough problem.

I understand your concern about conflicting metadata when two users on a single computer share a single CC folder. Before I start experimenting, however, I'd like to know a bit more about your concern.

Would your concern vanish if we were sure that only one user were ever logged into Windows at the same time? In other words, does logging out of Windows close all open metadata and thereby clear the way for the other user?

Or, to put it in more general terms, what does it take to close all open metadata and make the computer safe for the other user?

Your suggested solution of one user synched, the other not synched sounds quite reasonable, but in thinking about it, I realize that I'm not clear about this one point: Assume that we make a change to CC via the website: delete a library, for example. When "Non-Synched User" logs into Windows and runs InDesign, will CC synch even though this is the non-synched user?

If CC synch will not run in that circumstance, then the two-synched-users approach may be better, but only if I know exactly what it takes to "resolve" one synched user's metadata in order to make it safe for the other synched user to log in. 

Once I have a clearer understanding of these points, I'd be happy to experiment and report my findings. Thanks for your help (and curiosity!). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I tried a few tests. And a) it didn't work b) I'm sure it's unsupported.

At the specified Sync Location, it'll actually create separate child folders for each user who signs in to the Creative Cloud desktop app. The one for the active user is visible. The other is hidden. So actually every user's file is stored in a separate folder.

So I think that it actually makes sense to use the "user" folders, so that the OS security will keep every users' file secure.

And, no. If Sync is off for a user (which is a setting in the CC Desktop app), no files will sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much, Vikrant. You've pursued this issue thoroughly, and I really appreciate you doing that. I'm very pleased to understand all the nuances, even if it means I can't do what I was hoping to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines