Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash 11 crashing in all browsers

Oct 07, 2011 Oct 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having nothing but problems with this. I usually use Chrome as my internet browser (on Mac OS X 10.6.8), and I kept getting "This plugin has crashed: Shockwave Flash". At first I thought it was just a problem with Chrome, but it is happening in every browser. I disabled it in Chrome, and reinstalled it, and re-enabled it, and it is still not workin. I think I've removed it / reinstalled it four times already and it keeps having the same problem. Any time I go on a website with flash media (youtube, a site with a music player of somesort, google ads that have flash, etc), it gives me a crash report.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Nov 10, 2011 Nov 10, 2011

The original post issue, crash all browser on Mac, was fixed in latest Flash Player (11.1.102.55) through this bug report:

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3003022

Thank you for all who helped to provide us information here and the bug report. We could have fix the bug just because you provided accurate information. We really appreciate your comments, reports, and help here.

thanks,

Hitomi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2011 Oct 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only had to remove one specific .ttf font. I have several left over and it works...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2011 Oct 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I removed 123B9A_0.ttf from my /library/font/ folder and flash works perfectly now.

I have emailed the font to adobe to look at, hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 13, 2011 Oct 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I removed all the KozGo fonts like it told me to, and my flash still isn't working.

Edit: I disabled Chrome's flash, and the system's didn't work. I disabled the system's and Chrome's works on it's own. Is there a way to have them both working so I will still have flash in other browsers?

Edit: Nevermind, it worked for awhile, and now none of my browser flash is working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mwilsonasyck,

Do you still see Chrome crashing right now? Have you tried other borwsers, Safari and FF, and see crashing in same way?

thanks,

Hitomi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 15, 2011 Oct 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked last night, I shut down my computer and when I started it back up today, it is crashing all over again. I tried searching my computer and I don't have the 123B9A_0 font installed, so it isn't that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can try the following...

• launch the Font Book application
  • Command+O or File>Add Fonts...
  • nav to /Users/<yourUsername>/Library/Fonts
  • select all the fonts in the directory
  • it will attempt to validate the Fonts before import. 
  • note the errors and cancel out
  • delete or move the fonts that errored from the directory
  • restart your browsers. 

it should not require a restart of the OS, but try that if it does not initially resolve the problem.  hope that helps...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed these steps, and I don't seem to have any fonts that would cause the crashing.  I have downgraded to 10.3 so Firefox and Safari work, but Chrome is still constantly crashing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 16, 2011 Oct 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andybwa,

I think your issue is different than font issue. We need to look into crash log to tell that. Please open a bug in our public bugbase and provide crash log there. If you allow Adobe to send email in your account preference, we can assist you by email.

https://bugbase.adobe.com

thanks,

Hitomi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hitomi,

Here is a crash report from Chrome

Regards,

Andybwah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hitomi,

Thanks for your help on this. I too am having issues with the recent update of Flash not working on any of my browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox).  I'm not sure how to get a crash report in Chrome or Safari but have screen grabs from thsoe and here's the crash report from Firefox:

Add-ons: {972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}:3.6

BuildID: 20100115132715

CrashTime: 1318825073

EMCheckCompatibility: true

FramePoisonBase: 00000000f0dea000

FramePoisonSize: 4096

InstallTime: 1270164844

ProductName: Firefox

ReleaseChannel: release

SecondsSinceLastCrash: 76175

StartupTime: 1318825042

Theme: classic/1.0

Throttleable: 1

URL: http://crooksandliars.com/

Vendor: Mozilla

Version: 3.6

This report also contains technical information about the state of the application when it crashed.flash_chrome.jpg(Chrome)

flash_safari.jpg(Safari)

Here is my system info:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:          Mac Pro

Model Identifier:          MacPro3,1

Processor Name:          Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed:          2.8 GHz

Number Of Processors:          2

Total Number Of Cores:          8

L2 Cache (per processor):          12 MB

Memory:          10 GB

Bus Speed:          1.6 GHz

Boot ROM Version:          MP31.006C.B05

SMC Version (system):          1.25f4

Serial Number (system):          G890905KXYL

Hardware UUID:          7954057A-AE58-528F-827D-DFB53AB05233

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285:

Chipset Model:          NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285

Type:          GPU

Bus:          PCIe

Slot:          Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width:          x16

VRAM (Total):          1024 MB

Vendor:          NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID:          0x05e3

Revision ID:          0x00a1

ROM Revision:          3434

Displays:

LaCie 324:

Resolution:          1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth:          32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Display Serial Number:          2B0391100840

Main Display:          Yes

Mirror:          Off

Online:          Yes

Rotation:          Supported

Television:          Yes

HP S2331:

Resolution:          1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth:          32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Display Serial Number:          3CQ01162R1 

Mirror:          Off

Online:          Yes

Rotation:          Supported

Adobe Flash Player Install Manager:

Version:          11.0.1.152

Last Modified:          10/16/11 4:59 PM

Kind:          Universal

64-Bit (Intel):          No

Location:          /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Flash Player Install Manager.app

Adobe Flash CS5:

Version:          11.0.2.489

Last Modified:          9/4/10 6:53 PM

Kind:          Intel

64-Bit (Intel):          No

Get Info String:          11.0.2.489, Copyright © 1993-2010 Adobe Systems Incorporated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 17, 2011 Oct 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

geophrian,

Flash Player 11 do not support FireFox 3.6. Can you try to see latest FireFox have same issue?

Chrom crash log info:

http://www.chromium.org/for-testers/bug-reporting-guidelines/reporting-crash-bug

Safari crash log info:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2620293?start=0&tstart=0

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#technotes/tn2004/tn2123.html

By the way we've been talking browser crash on windows OS in this thread. I don't know if there are many users encountering all browser crash on Mac OS. Anyway we would rather deal each separate case in public bug data base. Can you log a bug in https://bugbase.adobe.com?

thanks,

Hitomi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of my fonts had any errors. Flash is still crashing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maybe try the system fonts also.  else, it is possible your issue is different.  can you send a crashlog from say, firefox?  we can see if you are crashing in a different area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just remove all ttf and non system fonts, it worked for everyone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the offending font attached that i removed to fix FP11.

123B9A_0.ttf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys I just did a software update yesterday and boom it's all fixed. No more crashes. I didn't remove fonts or anything else that seemed to work -- just did the update. Try it out. I'm using MacBook Pro OSX 10.6.8, Google Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I literally spent three hours combing through all my personal user and system fonts the other night when the issue was first suggested. I deleted all the KozGo fonts, and then spent another hour last night looking for more error fonts. I just checked again, and it deleted a lot of fonts that were system fonts, not downloaded ones. I'm not clearing every font on my computer just to use flash, I need them for work I do. It is still crashing in all browsers, and I'm really not sure what more I am supposed to do. I will try sending another crash log, where should it be sent to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

send the crashlog to smadayag@adobe.com.  i'll take a look.  thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2011 Oct 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same problem. Flash crashing every single time in every browser (Firefox, Safari, Chrome). I've checked to make sure all the browsers are the most up-to-date versions, uninstalled and reinstalled Flash 11 twice, everything the help center suggests. Still not working.

Here is my machine info:

Graphics/ Display:

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT:

Chipset Model:    GeForce 8600M GT   

Type:    GPU

Bus:    PCIe

PCIe Lane Width:    x16

VRAM (Total):    128 MB

Vendor:    NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID:    0x0407

Revision ID:    0x00a1

ROM Revision:    3175

Displays:

Color LCD:

Resolution:    1440 x 900

Pixel Depth:    32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display:    Yes

Mirror:    Off

Online:    Yes

Built-In:    Yes

Display Connector:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:    MacBook Pro

Model Identifier:    MacBookPro3,1

Processor Name:    Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed:    2.2 GHz

Number Of Processors:    1

Total Number Of Cores:    2

L2 Cache:    4 MB

Memory:    4 GB

Bus Speed:    800 MHz

Boot ROM Version:    MBP31.0070.B07

SMC Version (system):    1.16f11

Serial Number (system):    W874029SX91

Hardware UUID:    00000000-0000-1000-8000-001B63AFD6BC

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State:    Enabled

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 18, 2011 Oct 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"you can try the following...

• launch the Font Book application
  • Command+O or File>Add Fonts...

• nav to /Users/<yourUsername>/Library/Fonts
  • select all the fonts in the directory
  • it will attempt to validate the Fonts before import. 
  • note the errors and cancel out
  • delete or move the fonts that errored from the directory
  • restart your browsers. 

it should not require a restart of the OS, but try that if it does not initially resolve the problem.  hope that helps..."

Please follow the above steps mentioned by libflashplayer.so, and probably you also need detect the fonts under the folder "/Library/Fonts"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2011 Oct 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I had the same problem in Chrome, Safari and Firefox. Pretty anoying...

I resolved all duplicated fonts in fontbook, restarted chrome and still flash crashes. I also use fontcase, so I checked fontcase for errors and removed all duplicated fonts. Then I restarted Chrome (14.0). For now it works...! Also in Firefox (7.0.1) and Safari (5.1.1). Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice on the fonts. It doesn't seem to be working though. I've removed all fonts with an issue and according to FontBook it's clean yet none of my browsers work still. I've no idea where to go from here on this? Any more info I could provide to help on this or any other suggestions?

Thanks again for all your help.

crashing.jpg

P.S. Just purchased Fontcase to see if organizing fonts there would help as it did the above commenter but still no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

geophrian,

Your issue doesn't look like browser crashing from your screen shot. In this forum we found that invalid ttf font on Mac OS cause Flash Player crash on all browser which is different issue from your case (I guess). If you can see context menu on vidoe screen, Flash Player plugin is fine but video streaming there somehow stopped. You may want to take a look at this FAQ: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/889577?tstart=0

thanks,

Hitomi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Flash Player plugin is fine but video streaming there somehow stopped."

Hitomi,

I admit I'm not in anyway knowledgeable about Flash and how it works but the crashes I'm having aren't limited to videos. Any site with any Flash component has this trouble on all of my browsers. Here's an example of a file transfer site sent to me by a cleint that fails to load. Both Chrome and Firefox note that it is Flash which has crashed. Safari just remains blank.

If this is somehow still under the classification of video streaming let me know and I will post a new bug report. Thanks for your help.

crashing2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

geophrian, I just summarize the steps mentioned by "seantrue", please follow to detect whether you could get the problematic fonts on mac

1. open terminal

2. type "sudo fs_usage -f pathname | grep Font"

3. Enter your admin/root password, then terminal waiting

4. launch browser(such as chrome), and go to youtube

5. many output displayed in the terminal, if browser crash, you can get sth like "crash_inspect" in the terminal(refer to the picture)

6. above the "crash_inspect", some problematic fonts and paths displayed

7. Delete the problematic fonts

crashlog.jpg

Before you delete the problematic fonts, could you please collect them and send to us? Because we are narrowing down the issue and try to make the future fix resolve all the problematic fonts, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines