• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Close without saving does not unlock files?

Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if this has to do with our IT company moving us all to a new server, especially since the FM files are local to my machine. However, the last couple of weeks I've noticed that FM asks me if I want to close files without saving them, even if I've only opened them without making changes. When I click Yes, everything closes ok, but the next time I go to open the book or the individual chapters, I get a message that the files are locked. Sure enough, when I check, the .lck files are still there. They weren't closed.

This is getting to be a bloody nuisance. I don't know why FM is suddenly asking me if I want to save files I've made no changes to, and I don't know why it isn't clearing the .lck files. I want BOTH of these things to STOP. Does anyone have any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your FM docs are local to your machine - chances are that you're not sharing them with any other authors, so you could turn off file locks in your FM Prefs. I've noticed for a while that just opening a doc gives it a status of "want to save?" even when there have been no changes made. I use the Shift-Save all Open Files a lot before closing down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do these files contain cross-references? When you open a FrameMaker file and cross-references get updated and change, the file automatically gets into an "unsaved" state.

Regarding the lck files, this would need a closer look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a possibility. There are xrefs, and at least one of the files has unresolved references (on the list of things to fix).

And to Jeff_Coatsworth, while the files are local it is by way of a Box Sync folder, so they still need to be locked. I think. I'm not entirely certain how FMs network locking works with something like Box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other odd thing I've noticed is that if I try to open a file (.book or .fm) by double-clicking on it in Explorer, it doesn't open. This is not an issue with opening, say, text files in Notepad++ or Visio files. Again, used to work, now it doesn't. Seems to have started, I think, when Update 2 was installed. Easy enough to work around, but bloody annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That just sounds like your file associations in Windows is messed up & it doesn't associate .fm and .book file types with FM. Easy fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Association is set correctly. It's even set to FM 2019 although both FM 2017 and FM 2019 are offered as options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just occurred to me that Microsoft pushed a patch for Windows 7 on the 7th, which is right before all my issues started. I wonder if that's to blame?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Our IT department updated my video and WiFi drivers. So far, so good, the issues seem to have cleared up, and saving even if I don't make changes has taken care of the (to me) mysterious .lck files. My recollection is that FM didn't do this prior to update 2 of FM 2019, which is probably why I got so confused!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines