• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create PDF, Freezes FrameMaker 2017 on Parallels for Mac

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot Save to PDF or print PDF when running FrameMaker 2017 in Parallels for Mac. I'm guessing I have a setup problem. I can print and save to PDF just fine with these same files and same FrameMaker 2017 installed on my PC.

Whenever I try to Save to PDF or print to PDF, FrameMaker becomes unresponsive (with not responsive message) almost immediately and never recovers from that condition. I have to force quit the application. I can work in the files in Mac (Parallels), save, etc. All functions work. I just cannot print.

I switched to Mac (MacBook Pro Mid-2015 running OS 10.12 Sierra) with new job/role about a year ago and I work almost exclusively on the Mac now. All output from FrameMaker is PDF/electronic. I just have to switch over to the PC to save to PDF or print to PDF. All files are sync'd by Dropbox between the machines, so I know it is not the files. They print fine from the PC. I believe the setups are identical, but I'm obviously missing something with the Parallels setup. I had the same problem with Parallels 12 and just upgraded to Parallels 13 about a month ago. I have all current versions of Acrobat and Distiller installed on both the Mac and in the Windows virtual environment, Parallels).

I've searched the forums and beyond. I see previous problems solved with ensuring Acrobat is installed on both... Adobe PDF is default printer... rely on system fonts unchecked... I believe all of that is correct. I just cannot get it to work. Distiller runs fine. I have tried to print to .ps and distill, but it hangs when trying to generate a .ps file too. !

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a list of steps at

http://www.techcommtools.com/framemaker-pdf-tips-and-tricks/

I produce long, complex PDF regularly, and these options have worked for me 100% of the time, using many versions of Fm, and running on vmware Fusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Matt. I checked your recommendations. I had all of those settings already set. It did remind me to check my embedded fonts source. Since this Parallels is essentially another computer, I did check to ensure I had all the same fonts installed as on my physical PC. That said, I'm not seeing any missing fonts when working on the Mac/Parallels machine, but I noticed the embedding source was slightly different, so I set it up exactly as the physical that is generating PDFs from these files just fine. All in order.

I thought I had a breakthrough today. I was able to generate a PDF file from a single chapter file after saving as .mif (2017), deleting the original .fm file) and then resaving to .fm and updating the book. It took a while, but the PDF was completed and looked good. So, I repeated that process with the other book files, updated the book, and then tried to save as PDF. That was 2-1/2 hours ago and it is still stuck... Still no PDF save... I'm immediately in (Not Responding) status and it never recovers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that writing a PDF with local files into a local folder, or files opened via network and PDF to be written there too? I've experienced major problems with creating FrameMaker PDFs over a network when having the network drives mounted via the Parallels "Shared Folders/Drives" function. If you connect to the network drives (or server) via the regular Windows  network functions the PDF creation works much faster and better. And sometimes only then.

Bernd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem, Had to uninstall Acrobat, run the Acrobat Cleaner tool, the re-installed Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good suggestions. I did try the Acrobat clean procedure. No change.

I also checked the network drives option. I am not on a network, but I see that the save dialog considered saving back to my Mac mapped drives as a network. I tried saving my same test file back to the same drive (C:) where FM is installed in Parallels virtual machine. I saved to a subfolder of C that I created (so I know I have permissions there). No change. FM still goes unresponsive as soon as I go into Save as PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for making this clear: it's totally normal (happens here too) that FrameMaker becomes unresponsive (including a partially blank or dimmed screen) while saving a PDF if you have selected the "CMYK" option. However, FrameMaker recovers from these symptoms once the PDF export has been finished. If you save to PDF with the RGB option selected the screen doesn't go blank, everything looks more "normal", but you still can't click anything during export. So the question is if your FrameMaker is able to finish PDF export when saving it locally.

Bernd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Be.eM Completely understood. I've been using FM since 1997 and understand functionality. FM does the normal (not responding) of any PDF or print generation, but it never recovers. I've tested it as long as overnight and come back to find it the same. Also, as my original description of the problem in this thread has the details... this functions completely fine with the same files (in the same directory) from my separate PC (different physical computer). This manual takes about 8-10 minutes to generate from the PC.

Stefan Gentz [Adobe]

(1) I can save as .fm or .mif. No problems. This is the latest in several updates to this set of files going back a year.

(2) Destination is on the Mac hard drive (mapped as a network folder within Parallels). Although I have tried copying the entire file folder (with all structure intact) to the local (virtual) Parallels / Windows C: drive with the same result... that is, no result. Just locked FM.

(3) It's my Dropbox folder on the Mac. That is how I share the files between the Mac and my other physical PC. The files never move. I've only been able to print these files (this is the 5th version of the manual in 12 months)... by opening the completed files (via sync'd Dropbox folder) on the PC and saving to PDF (or printing to PDF)

(4) Success! I created a completely new file with default structure. I pasted some lorem ipsum text and a graphic from my manual into a single page. It generated the single page PDF after about 5 minutes. I have tried printing a single file from my book as I just was able to print this single file, but no success.

This is a step in the right direction. It has me thinking about fonts or other postscript or PDF error. Although I only have three fonts in the whole book and they are installed on both the Mac, Parallels, and the other physical PC (same fonts copied to all machines). I also get no font errors with these files. I don't get any errors. Console is completely empty... and again... I can print from the physical PC with these same files.

It's hard to understand why I can print from the PC and not the virtual, Parallels PC with the identical configuration. (I did go through all preferences and print setting and PDF setup and Acrobat settings side-by-side between physical PC and Parallels PC. All settings are identical.

I wonder about allocated memory or some other such setting on the virtual, Parallels PC... maybe I'm bumping into some wall there that only affects printing. As I said, I've been working in these files and have updated this manual many times in the past 12 months. All authoring was done on the Mac/Parallels machine.

(5) It did not work in Parallels 12. From my original post... more detail... I had the same problem with Parallels 12 and just upgraded to Parallels 13 about a month ago. I have all current versions of Acrobat and Distiller installed on both the Mac and in the Windows virtual/, Parallels).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few questions:

(1) What happens when you “save as” an FM file into the same folder where you would also save as the this file as a PDF? Does that work?

(2) Is the destination folder for the PDF on the Windows partition or on the MacOS partition?

(3) Is the destination folder a dropbox folder or a “normal” folder?

(4) Does it also happen, when you create a completely new, empty FM file, add some text, save it and then save as PDF?

(5) As you mentioned you updated Parallels from 12 to 13 – did it work in Parallels 12?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines