• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Custom Master Page does not display on Master Page Usage

Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I get my custom master pages to display in the the Master Page Usage dialog?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I don't understand the master page. I have a portrait document and I want a landscape page in the middle of it. I also have a landscape master page in a separate file. I added a Disconnected Page where I want the landscape page and thought I could apply the landscape master page to it, kind of like importing formats.

I followed Barb Binder's instructions but they aren't working for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi barbshoop :

The default Left and Right masters (showing in your screen shot) are part of every new double-sided FrameMaker document.

When you perceive the need for additional master pages, you have to create them. It does not appear that you have done that yet. What instructions of mine were you following? Was it this post on the Rocky Mountain Training blog?

Adobe FrameMaker: Adding a Landscape Page to a Portrait Document - Rocky Mountain Training

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, BarbBinder​. I was following the instructions in the Rocky Mountain Training blog.

Are you saying I need to create a new landscape master page every time I need a landscape page in a portrait document? Can't I have one already setup and use as a template? I do have several setup in separate files..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have several setup in separate files..

Did you create a custom landscape page as per that blog post in the other files, or did you rotate a default Left or Right master?

If you have already created the custom landscape page(s) in another file, you can open that file, navigate back to the current file and use File > Import > Formats and then just check Page Layouts. Note that this will import all master pages to the new file, and if the default Left and Right pages are different, they will be overwritten.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did it so long ago, I'm not sure how I created the landscape pages. But I did this:

If you have already created the custom landscape page(s) in another file, you can open that file, navigate back to the current file and use File > Import > Formats and then just check Page Layouts. Note that this will import all master pages to the new file, and if the default Left and Right pages are different, they will be overwritten.

You're right: it does overwrite my master page in the portrait document. How do I apply it only to one page in the portrait document? I want to apply it only to one or two landscape pages, which I created using Insert > Add Disconnected Pages and then rotated. I see now that won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to follow the instructions in the blog post to add a new, custom master page, you do not want to rotate either the default left or right master.

A limitation of all versions of FrameMaker is that when you use File > Import > Formats to import master pages it imports all of them, and there is no way to tell FrameMaker not to import the default masters. Even if you had correctly created a custom landscape page, if the default masters are different, you will override those masters in the new file.

I suspect that it will be quicker to just follow the blog instructions again to create the new masters in the new document, then you will be able to apply them to the disconnected body pages as per your very first screen shot.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks BarbBinder​. I followed your instructions and it worked. But instead of formatting the landscape master manually, I opened my pre-designed landscape master and copy/pasted into the new one. I looks fine. I just hope it is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So you deleted the template frame from a body page and then pasted the rotated template frame? As long as it is a single page table that doesn't need to flow, I suspect that will be just fine. You have to tip your head to edit though, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines