• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dictionaries

Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a very old version of FrameMaker (7.1), but I guess this question is valid for all versions.

In Sweden we write words together, that you English spekers write separately. Example:

supply air plenum (3 words)

tilluftsplenum (1 word)

When I spellcheck and see where "tilluftsplenum" can be hyphenated I get

til-lufts-ple-num

Correct, but not... If the word is hyphenated at the first instance, it should be

till-luftsplenum

An extra "l", as "till" has two and "luft" begins with one. So how does FrameMaker fix this? IS there a way to fix this, or do we have to proof read everything? 

Just curious.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

If I understand correctly, then tilluftsplenum is hyphenated till-luftsplenum (with till instead of til), when the hyphenation is after til/till.

No. FrameMaker does not change the number of l. You can enter a word with hyphens in the dictionary, but only with a specific spelling.

It does not help to enter two words:

till-luftsplenum

tillufts-ple-num

I would suggest to enter only this:

tillufts-ple-num

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that was all maintained in custom hyphenation dictionaries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer.

But. As the word is spelled "tilluftsplenum", can I really say that the hyphenation should be "till-lufts-ple-num"? Won't FM add an extra "l" even if the hyphenation is not at that place? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although I've never used them, I believe that once you define the way you want the word hypenated, FM uses that custom dictionary instead of whatever the "factory" dictionary dictates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We always use the custom one, so that all that works with FM have the same dictionary. I will have to test one day, what happens if I change that word in the dictionary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand correctly, then tilluftsplenum is hyphenated till-luftsplenum (with till instead of til), when the hyphenation is after til/till.

No. FrameMaker does not change the number of l. You can enter a word with hyphens in the dictionary, but only with a specific spelling.

It does not help to enter two words:

till-luftsplenum

tillufts-ple-num

I would suggest to enter only this:

tillufts-ple-num

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, you understood it right. And your solution (to never hyphenate between "till" and the rest) seems like the best one. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines