• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exclude text from running head

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I've set up a runningnhead using the variable Running H/F 2. The heading1 content that appears in the body of the page contains the chapter number and some text. I would like the running head to just include the text of the chapter title and exclude the chapter number. Is there a way I can exclude part of the Heading1 content from the running head?

Example:

Day 1 - Oxfordshire

Day 2 - Oxfordshire to Buckinghjamshire

I would like to have the running head include just the county names and exclude the 'Day X -'

FYI I've been away from unstructured Frame for many years and I'm having to relearn so I'm trying to keep it simple. I haven't used the chapter numbering option as I want to keep the whole of the book in a single file to avoid having to copy formats each time I make a change. I would like to avoid setting up lots of variables.

This is using FrameMaker 10.

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post the definition of your Running H/F 2 variable format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Thanks for ther quick response. As far as I know everything is set to default. To be honest I'm not sure what I did and I stumbled across it as it is now.

• In the header frame on the master page I've just gor 'Running H/F 2'
  • I used the Variables dialogue at the bottom of the screen and selected the entry that said Running H/F 2 in the Name column. The definition says <$paratext[Heading1]>
  • That's what's displayed in the Edit System Variable panel in the Definition field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so how is your Heading1 paragraph format defined? Is that the paragraph that gives you Day 1 -, Day 2 -? If not, replace Heading1 in the definition with the paragraph format you are using for the Day paragraphs. Now if the Day 1 - string is defined as an autonumber, then you should be all set. If the Day 1 - string is typed into the paragraph, then you are out of luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction: you are not out of luck :-). I am sorry for my pessimism. There is usually a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could create two Heading 1 styles, such as:

• Heading 1_DayNum
  • Heading1_Title

Set the DayNum style to be a Run-in heading under pagination, and set the next stile to be the Heading1_Title style. Use both styles in the document pages. 

Set your Running H/F 2 to <$paratext[Heading1_Title]>

(Technically, you could leave the second style as just Heading1 so you don't have to edit the H/F, but I like the clarity of renaming the style.)

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Sorry for the delay, hectic life. I appreciate the input.

I did have another attempt and found that by putting numbering on the Heading1 style expressed as:

'Day <n+> - Oxfordshire'

'Day <n+> - Oxfordshire to Buckinghjamshire'

It renders as follows:

'Day 1 - Oxfordshire'

The header above renders as 'Oxfordshire'

'Day 2 - Oxfordshire to Buckinghjamshire'

The header above renders as 'Oxfordshire to Buckinghjamshire'

The header just ignores everything up to and including the dash. This is all good except that I can't see a way of not including the header on the first page of a chapter (because I havn't broken it out into separate chapters). So on the first page of a chapter I get Oxford twice.

I know I really should break it out into chapters but I havn't got the final manuscript back yet so it would be a pain to have to run it into 39 separate chapters instead of just the one as I currently have and then just assign the headings again.

I'm going to have a look at your solution IDEAS-Training and see if I can understand it. I'm really rusty having not played with unstructured Frame for about 10 years so it might take me a while to implement your solution.  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines