• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker 12 book error "Couldn't open document because it was created with a previous version of FrameMaker"

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2015 Mar 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We recently updated our unstructured FrameMaker 11 to version 12, and now when I update a book using files created in Frame 11, I get this error, "Could not open X document because it was created with a previous version of FrameMaker." I get the error even after I have opened, saved, and closed the file in question in FrameMaker 12, so it is "converted" to the new version.

Here's a screenshot of the error I'm getting when updating the book:

3-16-2015 7-57-00 AM.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Becky

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Hi William,

When you have a book with files, and one of the files is from an older FM version, then FrameMaker cannot open the file during the update. Therefore this message.

The fix is easy: Open all files in the book, (to open all files with one command: Press SHIFT while you click File; then open all files in the book). Save the files. Then update the book. Now this should work.

No reply? Almost all who help here are just regular users. We do what we can, but we also have our regular jobs

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with FM 16.0.0.754

Why was there no reply posted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Why was there no reply posted?

Perhaps because it would require someone from Adobe R&D to tell us if that's even an expected error message from FM.

I've never see it.

The more usual case is that, on manual opening of an older version file, you get a dialog about how continuing will update it to the present version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you use Textinsets?

when a document has a textinset from a previous version this could happen.

FrameMaker doesn't save unasked to another version.

So make sure, that your textinsets are in the same version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi William,

When you have a book with files, and one of the files is from an older FM version, then FrameMaker cannot open the file during the update. Therefore this message.

The fix is easy: Open all files in the book, (to open all files with one command: Press SHIFT while you click File; then open all files in the book). Save the files. Then update the book. Now this should work.

No reply? Almost all who help here are just regular users. We do what we can, but we also have our regular jobs and private issues. Therefore some messages might slip away.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm adding my notes to @Winfried Reng's correct answer. He said:

1. Open the book file. With the book window active,
  2. Shift + File > Open All Files in Book

My addition, with the book window still active,
  3. Shift + File > Save All Files in Book
  4. Shift + File > Close All Files in Book
  5. Then update the book 

You need to do this once, each time you update to a newer version of FrameMaker, but the shortucts make it easy.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much. you made my life simple 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered this fix on my own, though I unfortunately did it one file as a time, not realizing you could select all files in the book at the same time.  Next time it'll go MUCH quicker!  Thanks to all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines