• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker doesn't use "#" as a variable number of characters in the search. What can I use?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2018 Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FrameMaker doesn't use "#" as a variable number of characters in the search. What can I use?

Thanks in advance.

Rog.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use ? (as in d?g) to search for instances of dog or dig. Is that what you're asking?''

Searching on d??g would yield dang or doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to search between 2 knowns an undetermined number of characters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fm supports regular expressions, so create a GREP string that does that

[Guest Post] “Do the magic: Regular Expressions in FrameMaker”, by Marek Pawelec – Adobe TechComm Bl...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2018 Jul 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Roger:

FrameMaker quietly supports regular expressions. You do need to enable the regular expression radio button for these to work:

• You can use .+ to match any character (one or more). This includes spaces.
  • If you just need to match letters (upper and lower) use [\l\u]+.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You lost me Barb.

enable the regular expression radio button ????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The list of fields that read "Simple Search", "Wildcards", "Regular Expressions" in the Find/Change pod.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Find/Change pod I have "considercase, Whole word, Wldcards, and Find Backwards".

I have checked off Wildcards and searched by putting in the Find field, "A.+T".  I'm not doing this correctly, am I?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, what version of FM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rog,

What version of FrameMaker are you using? Regular expressions were added in FrameMaker 12. For earlier versions, you can use wildcards. See Help for more information, but an asterisk matches any number of characters.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Original post I wrote # but meant *. The asterisk doesn't work as a wildcard as far as I can tell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Roger:

Did you enable the Wildcards radio button?

Screenshot 2018-07-10 07.13.51.pngScreenshot 2018-07-10 07.14.22.png

We were guessing on the version (thanks for clarifying) and still guessing on the actual search criteria (based on one of your answers my guess is "A something T"). It is always helpful to provide us with as much detail as possible, along with screen shots, to expedite the process.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Roger:

Sorry I've been in class teaching FrameMaker all day, but I suspect Jeff and Lynne have taken care of the follow-up question. What version are you using? As Lynne mentioned, regular expressions weren't added until version 12.
Screenshot 2018-07-09 16.28.09.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines