Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help with chapter numbering

Community Expert ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Smart FrameMaker People:

I'm stuck. I have a student using the old chapter numbering: title numbers are defined with H:<n+> vs H:<$chapnum>, which I haven't encountered in years. All the chapters are starting with 1, even after telling the paragraphs to continue numbering from previous chapters in the book window.

That used to work, right? So what am I forgetting?

~Barb

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Hi Lin:

Thank you for responding. I figured it out—normally, when we update the numbering properties from the book window, FrameMaker initiates an book update and the chapter and page numbers update immediately.

We needed to intiate the book update a second time (using the toolbar button or menu command) for FrameMaker to update the paragraph numbers. This would have happened in a natural workflow where we update the book all day long, but of course this happened when I was teaching and I wa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the numbering settings in the book? Sounds like your student's paragraph numbering is being overridden. 

ETA: Attaching Dan Emory's short write-up and Lester Smalley's very in-depth write up of autonumbering pre-<$chapnum> days. You already know all this, but it's useful and it confirms your student set things up right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lin:

Thank you for responding. I figured it out—normally, when we update the numbering properties from the book window, FrameMaker initiates an book update and the chapter and page numbers update immediately.

We needed to intiate the book update a second time (using the toolbar button or menu command) for FrameMaker to update the paragraph numbers. This would have happened in a natural workflow where we update the book all day long, but of course this happened when I was teaching and I was thrown off when they didn't immediately update.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Naturally. Glad you figured it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines