• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to install several FrameMaker updates in parallel?

Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the problem, that in FM 16.0.4 the Splitter utility disappeared.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/framemaker-discussions/utility-split-current-document-disappeared/m-p...

As I need this utility, I wanted to install also 16.0.3, the last version where this worked. I wanted to install 16.0.3 in a different folder, so that 16.0.4 will not be affected. However, I cannot change the installation path. The installation of 16.0.3 would always overwrite 16.0.4.

Also when I started the setup of 16.0.3 as administrator, I could not change the installation path.

Is there anything which I have to do?

Best regards

Winfried

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

OK. I was told that it is really not possible to install several updates in parallel.

Only in separate virtual machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I was told that it is really not possible to install several updates in parallel.

Only in separate virtual machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: I was told that it is really not possible to install several updates in parallel.

Thanks for confirming that. It's also an issue for anyone (the beta testers) on the Adobe Prerelease program. Can't have both the current & some future release on the same logical machine.

re: Only in separate virtual machines.

And that, of course, could raise license-count issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know whether my set-up is the same as described in this topic.

I have installed various versions of FM. As long as they have not the same base version, the installation is straight forward (subdirectories). To install different development or update states, the running version must be hidden by temporarily renaming the installation dir of it. To 'activate'  such an update state, I rename the subdirectory to what it was at installation time. 

Current situation

... FM-8 up to FM-14

H:\Adobe\FrameMaker-15.en\Adobe FrameMaker 2019\.          Active

H:\Adobe\FrameMaker-16.enM4\Adobe FrameMaker 2020\.    Inactive

H:\Adobe\FrameMaker-16.enM8\Adobe FrameMaker 2020\.    Inactive

H:\Adobe\FrameMaker-16.en\Adobe FrameMaker 2020\.          Active

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines