I have a weird problem with a book in FrameMaker 2020. It is a book with multiple chapters, and the footer in each chapter has a "<$curpagenum> of <$lastpagenum>" ("5 of 20" for instance).
While the counter works ok on the first page of the last chapter counting "5 of 20", the first page in the first chapter which should count "1 of 20", counts 1 of 5
The chapters numbering properties seem to be correct in the book with the first files page numbering starting at 1 and the following chapters/page numbers being set to "continue". For some reason the first chapters <$lastpagenum> does not reflect the books total number of pages even if I have updated the book.
I must be overlooking something... but what?
Copy link to clipboard
The <$lastpagenum> variable only works at the document level, not the book level. I used to have a plug-in called BookPageCount which worked at the book level, but it is long since retired. If you need this at the book level, I may be able to code something in ExtendScript. Please let me know if you are interested. Thanks. -Rick
That was a fast answer! Thank you. I have rarely used that function and never realised it was document wide only. Kind of strange actually. I guess I'll have to make it using cross references then. Thanks for the offer of a script!
StudioSm: I guess I'll have to make it using cross references then.
If it comes to that, as you might already know, you'll only be able to xref to a last chapter file page with Flow A content. Any empty pages auto-created, due to file-level page layout options, won't have any Flow A content on them to xref.
…now if FM had an option for Paragraph Pagination of: Bottom of left page
then we could create a small invisible Para type with which to end every chapter.
I forgot about that one :-).
Hi Bjørn, I sent you an email off list. Thanks. -Rick