Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

problem with Word files

Enthusiast ,
Jul 14, 2023 Jul 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

1) I open a Word file (doc or docx) by doing Control+O, so FM create an FM file.

2) I add this FM file (coming from Word) to my book (this is my chapter)

3) I create a template with page numbering

4) I select my chapter book and File/Import/Format/Template

Result : In the chapter, the page numbering does not appears at the top of the page.

It seems like a bug. What do you think ?

TOPICS
Error , Formatting and numbering , Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What have you for:
Format â–¼ Page Layout â‡¢ Master Page Usage…
on a page with missing page numbers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a page with missing page number I have this master page usage :

master page usage.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2023 Jul 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Master Page Droite [ Right ] have a page number?
It would appear as "#"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For this test, my chapter is of one page.

If I go in the master page of my chapter, I see no page number at the top of the page (the symbol # does not appears).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: If I go in the master page of my chapter, I see no page number at the top of the page (the symbol # does not appears).

You need to insert that object on any Master Page where needed, typically in the header or footer frame. With the MP of interest open:
ɪ click in target frame
Insert â–¼ Variables
double-click:
âš™ Current Page #

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But, about this chapter, as I have made File/Import/Format/template (the template containing the page numbering), I should have automatically the page numbering imported into the chapter. But it is not the case (no page numbering displayed for this chapter).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Page numbers in FM, and in Word, are metadata. They are generated by the app based on the number of pages needs for the text flow.

I would not expect them to be present in the data structures for import.

In your case, the former Word body text is being rendered onto default FM Right Master Pages, which have no page number objects.

There are many challenges with importing Word. This is a relatively minor one. Just insert the page# system variable in the header frame of Master Page "Droite".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand well, you advise me to add page numbering manually in each FM document chapter (in the master page) ?

What I noticed is that:

1) in the book mode only, for an FM chapter file (whose content is coming from Word), the File/Import/Format/template does not import automatically the page numbering from the template.

2) in the book mode only, for an FM chapter file (whose content is plain text), the File/Import/Format/Template can import automatically with no problem the page numering from the template.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a templatename.fm file for the project and it has the desired Master Page properties for all page layouts used in the project, open it,

then from the Book menu for the book:
Select all the book component files.fm
File â–¼ Import Â» Formats…
Import from Document [templatename.fm]

click [ Deselect All ]
select
☑ Page Layouts
[ Import ]

Putting the page# system variable on the MPs is the easiest (and most common) way to get page numbers for the book. There a number of things that can cause problems, such as if the template file is not set for two-sided mode, in which case you can't edit MP "Left", and possibly ever other page in the book won't have page numbers.

There are many things, by the way, that you might want to put on a Master Page. For a recent project I had 8 objects, turned on and off for various output workflows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 16, 2023 Jul 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried :

1) in File/Import/Format, I have deselected all and selected "page layout".

2) using double sided template

But it does not work (no page numbering shown) when I made File/Import/Format/Template.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the failing document, on a typical page that lacks a page#, verify the assigned Master Page, then open that MP and see if it has the # variable in the header or footer. If so, some other mystery is afoot. If not, then either the template file has a problem, or the import didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the settings seems to be OK.

- As the FM chapter has content coming from Word, and

- as the File/Import/Format/Template does not works for this type of content only

it is like if the Word content could prevent from importing the content of the FM template.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back to FrameMaker! 🙂

Can you share the file and template, Pierre? If not, is there a custom master page assigned to page 1?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pierre:

Here's my take on your question:

2023-07-17_07-40-08.gif

Am I misunderstanding the question?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Barbara for the help and the video.

Your video is very clear : it works on your side with no problem.

So I have tried to understand why I had this problem and I have noticed that :

1) At the moment where I make all the steps for the first time (open the template /open Word file by saving the Word file in a FM file/Add FM file to the book/File-Import-Format-Template) : it does not works. Even if I save each file/chapter (control+S) and update the book, it does not works.

2) Then I quit Frame Maker, so it asks me if I want to save the files and I click "Save". Then I re-open all the files and do the same action (File/Import/Format/template) and ... it works !

So as a workaround, I am obliged to quit and save and reopen all the file in order to have the "File/Import/Format/template" working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why, Pierre. I opened it up and tried it and then reverted and recorded the same process a second time so you could see it. I didn't have any issues at all. I'm teaching today, but I can try starting again with the word file to see if that makes a difference after class. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For your next test, I think you could keep only the FM template file and the Word file I sent you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the files I sent you (template + Word file), here are the steps to reproduce :

1) open the template

2) Open (control+O) the Word file and save it on the desktop (as FM file).

3) Create a book and add the new FM file to the book as a chapter

4) In the book mode, select the chapter + File/Import/Format/Template

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't think you could save a Word doc as a .fm file and expect it to be a real FM file. I thought you had to create a new .fm file and import the Word doc into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I said :

"Open (control+O) the Word file and save it on the desktop (as FM file)."

And I am doing that inside Frame Maker of course. So by opening the Word file inside Frame Maker, FM create an FM file that I save on the desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, when I hear "desktop" I'm thinking "Windows Desktop" - I've never heard of a FM desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jeff: 

FrameMaker can open a Word doc and automatically convert to a FrameMaker document. I tend to use File > Import > File because I rely on style mapping, but if you open a Word file in Fm and save it, it will be an Fm doc, it will just have Word styles and formatting, which is why Pierre is importing his template formats. And I do think he means he is saving to his Windows desktop. 

Pierre:

I'll test your workflow as soon as my class is over. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't getting that the "open" action was taking place inside FM - that was what was throwing me off.🤣

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL. That's the missing piece! 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines