• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS4 to new computer - I have box, serial number and deactivated. Still won't work

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2017 Nov 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a new MAC, and through searching this forum plus chatting with and calling Adobe, I have done everything required to install the software on my new computer:

1. I have the original box, with the original disk and the serial number

2. I deactivated the software on the old computer successfully.

3. My Adobe online account shows that I own the software with the same serial number

When I go to install the software and put in the serial number, it says the number is invalid. Yes, I double and triple checked accuracy. Per everything I've read on this forum and my extremely frustrating communications with Adobe, I should be able to install the software.

At this point, I feel like Adobe is extorting me to get the new software. I'm not a graphic artist - just a small business person who occasionally needs photo editing.

Any thoughts on what else to do? I simply can't stand the thought of having to subscribe to something I already own and need only occasionally.

This is leaving a very bad taste about this company.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that with some old products you have to get a new serial number, but that may be for CS3.

Have you tried the steps in this page:

Activate and deactivate Adobe products

I did recently install a CS3 product ok, but remembering having to get a new serial number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I've deactivated on the old computer. At the prompt to activate during installation, the software gives me a little red "x" saying it's not a valid number. When I called Adobe about it, they simply refused to help in any way. Four times they have sent me to this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the CS3 case I mentioned I now remember that I solved it in the Products page in my account:

Adobe ID

I could see clearly that the number I was trying was in the list, and looked exactly correct. At the bottom of the page was a Register an older product option. I used that and the system gave me a new number, that then worked.

If you have tried those steps too I will try to escalate the problem to the right person at Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last year I installed CS4 to run some legacy plugins, and I don't recall having any issues. I din't have to get any new number. This sounds like something Adobe customer service should be able to fix, not just passing the buck to the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my escalation email written, just waiting to hear from lynncp about whether the last suggestion worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I went to the product page to register the serial number and it said it was already registered. So that avenue seems closed off as well.

Yesterday I had someone reach out that appeared to be from Adobe offering to help and to sell me CS6 for a discount. After a few minutes back and forth, I smelled a rat and looked again at the email and realized it was a GMAIL! Then I broke off the conversation.

I would sure appreciate any help I can get. As I've said before, Adobe kicked me to this forum every time I interacted, either through the chat feature or phone.

I would not be spending this much time typically, but this just seems so wrong. I would really like to just get my software installed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent a message to a person at Adobe who may be able to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to Colin for alerting me to this discussion.

Lynncp I am sorry that you are facing difficulty when entering your Photoshop CS4 serial number on your new Mac.  I reviewed the software titles registered under your account and can confirm the serial number for Photoshop CS4 is still valid.  Please make sure to not enter the Photoshop CS2 for Windows serial number as that serial number will not be accepted.  For complete details on how to locate your registered serial numbers see Find your serial number Lynncp.

In addition, if you are installing Photoshop CS4 on macOS 10.12, or later, then you will need to use the workaround listed in Installing Creative Suite on macOS 10.12 (Sierra) to install Photoshop CS4.  The installation files available for download at Download Adobe Creative Suite 4 (CS4) products  ​will work with your serial number. 

If you continue to receive an error that the serial number is invalid then please see Error: "The serial number is not valid for this product" | Adobe Creative Suite for steps on how to resolve the error.  It is likely that the licensing files became damaged or unreadable during the migration process to the new Mac Lynncp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Jeff. I will try all of this and let you know how it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will look forward to the update Lynncp.  If you have any questions don't hesitate to update this discussion. 

You can also find details on how to post a screen shot, of any errors you are facing, at FAQ: How do I capture and post a screen shot or video? .  Please do remember this is a public forum discussion so do not post any errors that include your serial number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2018 Mar 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now when after trying to put in all the groups of numbers that did work on My legal cs4 ,instead of wanting 5 groups of numbers ,it wants 6. Getting no where .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2018 Mar 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was always 24 digits.

See here:

Find your serial number

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I've gone through these processes, including the workaround using the Setup Unix executable in the Terminal. I'm using the CS4 serial number from the box (and the registration). Still getting the red "x" when I put the serial number in. I double checked that I am using the "zero" button and not the O button as well.

I captured a screenshot of the result but can't figure out how to post it.

Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lynncp did you delete the Adobe PCD and caps folders as discussed in Error: "The serial number is not valid for this product" | Adobe Creative Suite ?

If so then your last chance to recover will be to complete the following steps:

1. Run all available Adobe uninstallers located in Applications/Utilities/Adobe Installers
  2. Download and run the CC Cleaner Tool - Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

The CC Cleaner tool is designed to be ran in conjunction with the uninstallers.  Running both should remove any remaining damaged licensing files.

If these steps are unsuccessful then I would recommend you begin the migration process on the new Mac again Lynncp.  This time only move over your documents and settings and do not choose the option to move over any applications.  You can then reinstall any needed applications, including Photoshop CS4, after the migration process is complete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First made sure to uninstall all photoshop files.

I did not find either a PCD file or a caps file under Adobe Application Support.

I ran the cleaner tool - had one file to clean.

Reran the process and still get the red x.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to mention that I am not trying to install from the migration. I've tried using both the original CD and the downloaded files from the web, not using Migration Assistant for the new computer.

And I'm way too pregnant on the new computer to start over anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lynncp there should be no serial number errors, or damaged files, if it was a clean install of macOS 10.12.  Please make sure you are using the serial number for Photoshop CS4 that is listed under your account as discussed in Find your serial number​.

If you are using the correct serial number and installation files then the serial number will be accepted.  We have already discussed the software issues, and steps that can be taken, if the serial number is not being accepted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am definitely using the correct serial number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lynncp you can find details regarding any errors preventing the install process by reviewing the installation log.  Details on how to locate the installation log can be found at Troubleshoot installation with install logs | Adobe Creative Suite 3, Adobe Creative Suite 4​.

I have already verified that the Photoshop CS4 serial number registered under your account is valid Lynncp.  Please make sure you are not using the canceled Photoshop CS2 serial number which will not be accepted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I absolutely promise, pinky swear that I am using the CS4. I'm holding the box with the CD in my hand!

Here's the log I found and

2017-10-18 03:19:27 +0000: URL 'https:/armmf.adobe.com/arm-manifests/mac/9/current_version_url_template.txt' contents: '/{MAJREV}/9.5.5/current_version.txt'

2017-10-18 03:19:27 +0000: URL 'https:/armmf.adobe.com/arm-manifests/mac/9/9.5.5/current_version.txt' contents: '9.5.5'

2017-10-21 15:58:21 +0000: URL 'https:/armmf.adobe.com/arm-manifests/mac/9/current_version_url_template.txt' contents: '/{MAJREV}/9.5.5/current_version.txt'

2017-10-21 15:58:21 +0000: URL 'https:/armmf.adobe.com/arm-manifests/mac/9/9.5.5/current_version.txt' contents: '9.5.5'

2017-10-24 17:42:35 +0000: URL 'https:/armmf.adobe.com/arm-manifests/mac/9/current_version_url_template.txt' contents: '/{MAJREV}/9.5.5/current_version.txt'

2017-10-24 17:42:35 +0000: URL 'https:/armmf.adobe.com/arm-manifests/mac/9/9.5.5/current_version.txt' contents: '9.5.5'

2017-10-30 15:14:25 +0000: URL 'https:/armmf.adobe.com/arm-manifests/mac/9/current_version_url_template.txt' contents: '/{MAJREV}/9.5.5/current_version.txt'

2017-10-30 15:14:25 +0000: URL 'https:/armmf.adobe.com/arm-manifests/mac/9/9.5.5/current_version.txt' contents: '9.5.5'

2017-11-02 16:02:48 +0000: URL 'https:/armmf.adobe.com/arm-manifests/mac/9/current_version_url_template.txt' contents: '/{MAJREV}/9.5.5/current_version.txt'

2017-11-02 16:02:48 +0000: URL 'https:/armmf.adobe.com/arm-manifests/mac/9/9.5.5/current_version.txt' contents: '9.5.5'

2017-11-06 01:10:57 +0000: URL 'https:/armmf.adobe.com/arm-manifests/mac/9/current_version_url_template.txt' contents: '/{MAJREV}/9.5.5/current_version.txt'

2017-11-06 01:10:57 +0000: URL 'https:/armmf.adobe.com/arm-manifests/mac/9/9.5.5/current_version.txt' contents: '9.5.5'

2017-11-09 19:08:42 +0000: URL 'https:/armmf.adobe.com/arm-manifests/mac/9/current_version_url_template.txt' contents: '/{MAJREV}/9.5.5/current_version.txt'

2017-11-09 19:08:42 +0000: URL 'https:/armmf.adobe.com/arm-manifests/mac/9/9.5.5/current_version.txt' contents: '9.5.5'

2017-11-12 19:56:46 +0000: URL 'https:/armmf.adobe.com/arm-manifests/mac/9/current_version_url_template.txt' contents: '/{MAJREV}/9.5.5/current_version.txt'

2017-11-12 19:56:46 +0000: URL 'https:/armmf.adobe.com/arm-manifests/mac/9/9.5.5/current_version.txt' contents: '9.5.5'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see, I've been very determined to get this installed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lynncp please make sure you are using the serial number registered on http://www.adobe.com/.  I do not know if this is the same serial number that is on your box or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. I should have been more clear. I just double checked. It is the one on the product page registration as well.  Really, really, really sure that I am using the correct number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff for the "thanks", and also for really jumping in here.

I see we're not there yet. Some of what you suggested I should have done already, like the CC Cleaner tool for example.

I think that it's unlikely to be the answer, but it could be worth installing the legacy Java, in case CS4 installer depended on that:

Download Java for OS X 2017-001

Beyond that, I wonder if a screenshare would be worth doing? I would be up for that, if it would help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines