Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colors are not Color managed in CC libraries

LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Adobe Illustrator as an example.
Create an RGB color R 166, G 255, B 51 in an sRGB document and add the swatch to a CC Library.
Change your RGB color settings to Wide Gamut RGB and create a new document.
Use the swatch from the CC library, the result is a totally different color.
The color in the CC library does not have a profile attached, only the numbers are used and no conversion or warning takes place.
Idea No status
TOPICS
CC Libraries

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
9 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ton,
since color management is done on document basis, InDesign document, Illustrator document or PhotoShop document we have no chance for color management on single assets like swatches. Not even InDesign page items can be color managed; the underlying IDMS code will not allow this.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,
I cannot see why it should not be possible to add a reference to a color profile with a color (swatch) or a document item.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator objects (including color) are color managed when the right settings are made in the Color Settings.
You will get options how to habdle a mismatch.
But this does not work for single colors added from the Swatches panel, they are not color managed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is also happening between programs with CC Libraries. I use Pantone swatches called out as Spot Lab colors when pulled directly from the Pantone swatches book (Exactly how I need them). If I add these swatches from Illustrator to CC Libraries and then pull them from the CC Library into InDesign they convert to Spot CMYK (a very different color). If I create swatches from InDesign and add to CC Libraries and then pull them from the CC Library into Illustrator they convert to Spot RGB (yet another very different color). My color settings for all programs are synced so this is clearly a problem with CC Libraries. But it extends beyond even the libraries. If I merely copy and paste a swatch from either program into the other, it changes from Lab to either CMYK or RGB. I use CC Libraries to manage 100s of color palettes of different brands. This is a MAJOR problem with the program that not only ruins my workflow, but also means I now have to go back and edit files that I have used these palettes on. Is there any way to fix this, or is this just yet another one of Adobe's many problems that they refuse to fix or even address?

Reference this forum for screenshots and more details of the bug: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2648710#11253053

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your feedback.

In the backend , a CC library color has the original color space and color values. In the case of spot colors we are also tracking the color name.

We are aware that this is an area of improvement and we are in the process of revising the color experience in CC libraries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I add a colour from the colour picker on photoshop to Adobe Libraries, it changes the colour completely and desaturates it, not sure why this is happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely essential this one, I am sick of managing multiple libraries for different output methods. It would be great if there was a more robust handling method, one where you could elect to preserve numbers or convert to working space for each colour mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2023 Nov 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to see that my uservoice report was moved to this forum. But nothing has changed since I reported this many years ago. Color space, color numbers and color name is not enough. Color profile is also needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2024 Jun 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This was reported in january 2018. More than 6 years ago. 

Color management is not new, Adobe was one of the early developers and founders of the ICC (we still are members and have members in steering committees and working groups). But it looks orphaned inside Adobe applications. Who inside Adobe is overseeing the current implementation of color management?

Votes

Translate

Translate