• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: OCIO and ACES support for full support 32bit image editing

Participant ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a similar way Affinity supports OCIO it would be great if Adobe atleast kept up. The plugin someone has made does not work properly and is far from ideal, it requires LUTs to be made for each possible combination, its not fluid at all and the result is often incorrect.

Full 32bit support is pretty vital in general for everything in PS

Photoshop is the industry leader and has been for years but if you don't keep up with the times you will loose your user base.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
85 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2011 Aug 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- Full 32-bit support inside photoshop, no limitations.
- Support for 32-bit multichannel EXR, (I do some still-frame 3D compositing and would like to use photoshop instead of compositng software like Nuke and Fusion).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by "limitations"? What things are missing support in 32 bit/channel that you need? (and be specific)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris.

What I really miss are some of the adjustment layers, like Curves, Color Balance, Black & White etc.

And the EXR multichannel thing is really a standard when your working with 3D and Compositing, I find it a bit strange that Adobe hasn't kept up on the development in this area. I mean with all the specialized tools that has been incorporated into Photoshop the last years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curves and Color Balance depend on the image having a 0..1.0 range, which 32 bit/channel images don't have. Black & White - that I'm not sure about, since another group implemented it. It probably should work in 32 bit, and I'll ask them about it.

Yeah, I keep pushing for improvements to EXR format, and management never gives me the time. They always have higher priorities...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok.

You can use curves in After Effects on 32-bit EXR images, I don't really understand how it's any different in Photoshop.

It's good to hear that some people want real intergration between formats and software, although it apparently isn't shared by your managment 😞 too bad!

Thanks for responding anyways, I really appreciate it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2012 Jan 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please improve the support for 32bit mode images.
Firstly I understand that this is difficult because it involves re-architecting each tool to work with floating point data as well as 8 or 16 bit integers.

In answer to your question, it would be much easier to list the tools that support 32bit editing rather than those which don't. When dealing with 32bit data, Photoshop has similar image editing capabilities to MS Paint (that is bundled with Microsoft windows).

Priorities for me are color balance, dodge and burn tools, healing tools, magnetic lasso, select color range.
Few of the filters work in 32bit mode. Blur, noise removal and sharpening are the filters I want most.

Most layer effects and styles don't work in 32 bit mode.

Note: dodge and burn can be clumsily performed by using the paint brush tool with various shades of gray as the foreground color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 16, 2012 Jan 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your statement is about 32 bit/channel and has no direct relation to this topic about EXR file format support.

But I'll answer some of it anyway.

The blending used for the dodge and burn tools relies on having unit range (0-1) pixel values. It won't work on floating point. So the dodge and burn tools could only be enabled if we completely changed the way they work (which I've been thinking about, but haven't come up with a great answer for yet -- dodge and burn concepts are inherently tied to photo-chemistry and low dynamic range). Using shades of gray and multiply or divide blend mode is a pretty good approximation to burn and dodge (respectively). But the blend modes don't account for the rolloff near black and white that occur in darkroom processing and the 8/16 bit version of those tools. You can even paint into layers to do the dodging and burning.

All layer styles/effects work in 32 bit/channel.

No, it would be easiest to list what you need -- the majority of tools and commands are working in 32 bit/channel. The biggest 32 bit/channel gap is in the plugin filters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 21, 2012 Apr 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curves, curves, curves and more curves. EXR has become the standard for 3D images and not just for animations but for still 3D images as well.

I don't understand the technical mumble jumble of it. Just make it like After Effects. Not all the effects support 32 bit EXR in after effects but the most useful do (like curves). You can even use the non-supported ones, after effects just warns you with a little yellow triangle which means you could lose color information.

I had to rely on After Effects to do all the color correction of EXR still images due the lack of support of 32 bit curves in Photoshop. Only problem with After Effects is it gets clunky with very large images and many layers, I'm mean something like 10000 x 10000 pixels. Once I'm done with the curves and color correction I export to photoshop for further modification in 8 bit mode.

I'd like to have all the image adjustment options that are grayed out in 32 bit mode to be available. Specially curves, and the ones that the others mentioned as well.

OK dogde and burn we can apply it after converting to 8 bit mode, but the magnetic lasso and healing tools could even take advantage of the high dynamic range :D.

Thanks and best regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 21, 2012 Apr 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dodge and Burn you can already do in Photoshop - just paint on a layer and use blend modes.

Magnetic Lasso is inherently limited to 8 bit precision. I'd have to spend a while rewriting to feature to make it work on 32 bit data.

Healing Brush I'd like to see myself - but the people responsible don't seem interested in advancing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

33bit support really needs to be extended to support some pretty basic things. Its lagging far behind. Things that need adding.

Curves adjustments
Overlay blending modes
Invert, both as adjustment layer and the ability to just invert an layer.

After effects has a lot of these things already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd settle for 32 bit upgrades of all tools missing like histogram, Curves, .......   Almost 10 +/-  years since 32 bit per channel was announced.

RONC

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I'm gonna disagree. Most users don't need 32 bit support and I don't want Adobe wasting development resources on that when they have a lot of other things to fix beforehand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most people don't need a poorly integrated 3d solution or content aware fill but that gets through. I haven't seen a useful upgrade in photoshop for at least 8 years. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i agree with peter on this one, no imporvment on 32bit features for 10 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also if its implimented in AE already then surely the tech is there, so not sure how much developement resorces would be waisted? as its already been developed

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh i have another 32bit request.... propper support for multilayer exrs

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are an outlier then. I've seen a number of useful new features. However, its also obvious that the development team is overwhelmed and they need to work on the core program.

Content-aware fill is HUGE for us photographers.

What advantages do you have from working in 32-bit mode that 16-bit won't work for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've yet to see content-aware fill do a good job,  i've tried it hundred of times and always end up starting again and doing it manually.  I'm a photographer and retoucher and wouldn't be seen dead delivering work that had been content aware filled. Its just poor quality control. I implore you to raise your standards for your own sake.

32-bit is huge part of a VFX production workflow. If you don't know what it does then please don't even comment, you're wasting everyone's time. Just because you personally don't need a feature it doesn't mean 1000's of others don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and they differ so that's just fine. But just because you don't need a feature and someone else does don't dismiss them as being a monitory . As you have seen everyone's needs are different so why do yours hold more value than anyone elses?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All developers have to allocate resources because they can't fix everything. We know they are working on a new compositing engine and maybe it will add more 32-bit support. My point is that this request is for niche functionality and there are bigger fish to fry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you are entitled to your opinion. And in your opinion is it niche fair enough. But that's just an opinion right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also in with 32-bit support requests for content aware fill, adjustment layers, and the functions used to stitch panoramas etc. this is a sorely needed update! I must routinely resort to 3-4 other software titles outside the Adobe family to do really basic things related to created HDRI Domes (32-bit spherical imagery) for CGI purposes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, you're dead wrong and it's shocking that you think settling for functionality where you get (literally) less than 1/60,000th the amount of color value...is acceptable. There is a sizable working group of professional PS users relying on the 30-bit display functionality, working in its limited 32 bit capabilities, and really trying to maximize what kind of image quality PS is capable of. If that's beyond your image processing needs fair enough, but let's not pretend that working with massive increases in image quality and usability are some niche feature request... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2019 Feb 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a massive one if you're going from animation to print. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 08, 2019 Feb 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why I'm able to do stuff with 32bit in AE and then not repeat that in PS... Makes no sense.

Don't get me wrong, PS is a great tool, but so much of the architecture is old. Hopefully the acquisition of Allegorithmic will invigorate the devs to support this. 32bit is not new guys, HDR is here to stay. Not supporting it now would be the same as saying 'we're not supporting layers' 20 years ago because it's a 'niche' requirement. If you're shooting brackets, you're already halfway towards 32bit workflow. Why settle for an 8bit tone map of all that raw camera data???

Votes

Translate

Translate