• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

1.Assign shortcuts to scripts 2. Actions remember insert menu commands when app is started

Sep 26, 2010 Sep 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It been ask before... Many times.  There is probably a current request right now.   It will be asked again... And again... And again...  Under keyboard shortcuts, allow scripts to assigned a shortcut.  Also have actions remember insert menu commands when the application is restarted.   Was patiently waiting years ago... Now I am starting to grit my teeth. When my dentist lectures me over grinding my teeth, she will not be as forgiving as I have been over the years.   It is time to set a small portion of available resources to fix and add functionality to this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2013 Jul 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did this get fixed with CS6…?

Muppet Mark asked more than a year ago … and guess what?

It hasn’t been fixed in Illustrator CC, either.

What is it that goes so wrong at Adobe that something like this is maintained for so many versions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2013 Jul 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is it that goes so wrong at Adobe that something like this is maintained for so many versions?

in one word...consistence

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2013 Oct 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bump.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2014 Jan 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator 17.1 – still the same issue …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2014 Mar 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bump

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2014 May 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2014 May 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this thread is more than three years old and the bug* itself is considerably older than that, so one could get to wonder about the Illustrator team’s resources and priorities …

*: I think the term "bug" is fully justified when talking about the Scripts-in-Actions issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bump …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2014 Jun 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another version (Illustrator CC 2014), another disappointment.

How starved for resources must the Illustrator team be not to be able to fix one oft-reported bug for more than ten years?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2014 Jul 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to be able to use a custom script and link it to a custom action and assign a shortcut. Is that too much to ask?....Please address this issue ADOBE!

* To clarify this further, adding the script to the action is not the issue. The issue is that when we restart Illustrator, the menu item/script resets and the menu item disappears from the actions menu*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2014 Jul 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 09, 2014 Aug 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2014 Aug 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect that the members of the Illustrator team operate under restrictions that keep them from doing the reasonable thing and that it would be unfair to reproach them, but a bug that persists for more than a decade does seem rather trying on users’ patience …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 06, 2014 Oct 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so at least we have one solution "with shortcut for script problem":

1. Put "script.jsx" into folder  Mac OS X > Applications/Adobe Illustrator {version}/Presets/{Lang}/Scripts

2. Make Action, "insert menu item" in it -> select "File\Scripts\script.jsx"

3. Assign shortcut to this action. PROFIT

But! The problem is: Illustrator "forgets" about menu item in action after restart.

Therefore you can use script shortcut only one time per "session", and every time starting we need to make "insert menu item".

Well, this is the second part of topic question, I guess. And I don't have solution. This is what I got:

0. If you have several scripts with shortcuts, everyday inserting all scripts in actions is boring. Make a folder for this actions. And "Save actions" it to ".aia"

1. Every time starting Illustrator — Delete folder with your special "scripts-actions" (because it's actions is emptied!)

2. Then go to "File>Scripts>...". Now just gently stroke your scripts with cursor. Like a kitty. Ahahaha! )) It is not a joke!!! Do not start the scripts, just enter to its' submenu.

3. Now "Load actions" from your .aia. Have a nice automated session with your magic scripts! This works for me. If you have daily work routine and 5-10 scripts, this is the best solution.

* If you skip step 2, you will get "Some event has not been registered for actions"! And empty action. If first you will stroke the kitty, you will get your magic shortcuts after "Loading actions"! As I told, this not a joke, but strange Illustrator behavior.

* If you did not delete previous folder (step 1), you'll get 2 folders with actions, old one — without scripts, new one — without assigned shortcuts. And nothing works. Delete all and reload.

* One more thing. I have Scriptographer Extension. This extension manages scripts (js) and has "scriptographer palette". In this palette I found shortcuts, to execute selected script and etc. So, in theory it is possible to rebuild this extension with shortcuts for some scripts. Maybe we should dig in that direction? I'm too stupid for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 06, 2014 Oct 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And one more thing. (For Windows users only) I found this:

if you have a script called "move"

(with capslock off)

Alt + f + r + m

THis works because illustrator CS automatically assigns a menu key to the first letter of each item in your scripts menu.

It doesn't work for Illustrator 10, but it's something...

-jw

so, just press alt, this will highlight "File", press "r" (leave Alt), this selects "Scripts", and press "m" for "move[...].js"

For Mac users this way is more stupid:

Ctrl+F2, (apple becomes selected)

"F", Enter (or down arrow), File menu expanded

"Sc", Enter (or right arrow), Save selected, than Scripts menu selected & expanded

"m", Enter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cant believe work once but I could not repeat the same again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2014 Oct 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+10345345234234

Sort this out Adobe!

Either that or introduce simple features like "Join text frames" into you features. Seeing as I was able to do this with Coral Draw 10 years ago without needing user scripts, I'm extremely disappointed that I still cannot do it with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2014 Nov 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe ... This is terrible ... Please allow us to Hot-Key our scripts .... I agree with the frustration of everyone who wrote before me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2014 Dec 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this even still a bug after 4 years?!?! Come on Adobe, this is silly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2014 Dec 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More like 10 years, as far as I know …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2014 Dec 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

btw its not a bug, its a feature request to be clear. it works probably as intended, imagine it will take reworking a lot of code to get this to work-- probably why its been set aside. BUT I do feel its really important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I think the removal of Scripts from Actions deserves to be called a bug.

If one could not insert Scripts into Actions at all it would be one thing, but as one can but they disappear on restarting the application the behaviour can hardly be considered "as intended".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2015 Mar 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obligatory bump. Would love a way to trigger Actions with the keyboard! Let's make 2015 the year where this happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bump

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2015 May 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bahaha — I just replied with my clever solution, and realized that the second part of this thread is about the Insert Menu Command being dropped between restarts. That's due to the loading order of scripts and actions, I'd guess — actions get loaded first and those menu items don't exist yet, so they get dropped.

My fall-back solution, on a Mac anyway, has been the ol' CMD+SHIFT+? shortcut to open app-specific spotlight, and then just type the name of the script you want to run. It's nowhere near as elegant as a keyboard or mouse shortcut, but it's better than having to manually click through those menus and eyeball the script you want.

— Aaron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines