3D Extrude Bevel is Annoying

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted almost 7 months ago a request to have a similar tool for 3d / extruded vector shadows in the similar way FlexiSign has been doing since like 2007.  Instead, we now have a 3D bevel tool that focuses on rasterized stylings and lacks horribly on rendering to vector.  Every time I try and utilize it for vector it's missing walls and edges.  It also bogs down the computer for no reason when I select render to vector.  Adobe is a Vector software first, raster second.  That's what Photoshop is for.  Also, people like myself who design for some sign companies need shadows / extrusions to be vector more than anything, especially if it's 2 color cut vinyl for things like Fire Truck Lettering.  Please give a secondary shadow tool that mimics that of FlexiSign.  

TOPICS
Draw and design , Feature request , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@tylerc64373945 

Feature requests for the product developers go here: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/

Have you looked into Blender (free) or Adobe Substance?

Jane

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted just now to the user voice page.  I want 30 second simplified shadows / extrustions / outline combos.  Look up flexisign 8.1 shadow / extrusion tool.  It's simple.  You select one of 5 or so preset shadow or extrusion types, type in your off-set numbers, and boom! Simple and clean edge vector shadows or extrusions.  Blender and adobe are for 3d modeling, which is way off from this topic to be honest.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@tylerc64373945 wrote:

I posted just now to the user voice page. 

You might also post the link for the developers back into this thread so that if others spot it here, they can upvote it. We are users on this forum and can't make changes.

Alternate solutions have been given here if you need something that works now.

Jane

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea I posted it to the developers page too. They then combined my idea with the "Long Shadow" idea.  The admin there just keeps pushing a 3rd party plug in like he makes money off of it.  Check out AstuteGraphics plug ins.  All of those things shoulde be integrated into adobe already.  It shouldn't be a pay to play set up like video game DLC.  Not sure why and Adobe Admin is pushing 3rd party software instead of the developers integrating the things the community that pays for the software wants.  Kinda shady lookin.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does "the community" want it or are you the only one?

But there are several things that need to be done, and there are only so many developers and there is only so much money for development.

And then there is:  https://exchange.adobe.com/creativecloud.details.106260.long-shadow-styles-for-adobe-illustrator.htm...

I don't know if these are vector shapes. It's a different one than the one I mentioned.

There actually has been a plugin for this, which cost only 7 bucks (perpetual license) - that is a no-brainer if you ask me. I have bought it and it works beautifully in the compatible versions. That plugin doesn't exist any longer. Obviously people didn't even want to spend that small amount of money for long shadows.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The topic has 41 upvotes, and there is another gentleman in the comments of that page who has a sign company asking for it.  I know other sign companies would love the tool to be integrated.  I have worked with signs and vehicle lettering for 15 plus years at this point.  I loved that it was a tool in Flexisign.  I don't work for that company anymore and have been annoyingly replicating what that tool does for 3 years now without flexisign.  Also, I had seen that Adobe had combined my idea that was posted August of 2020 with the idea of having a "long shadow" which that person has been asking for the same tool integration since 2018.  So, in short, it does seem the community wants it, and has been wanting it for about 4 years now. 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, had a 7 dollar plug in still been the solution I would purchase it.  Currently the Adobe Admin on the user voice page keeps posting the Astute Graphics plugins which is a $140 annual fee.  I do like the plug ins on how they show they function, I just wanted a simple fix though and not another software subscription.  

I'm not sure about that long shadow plug in link you posted.  They would definitely need to be vector shapes in order to work with vinyl cutting software.  If you check out the video link I posted, that's the functionality as a person who works with vinyl lettering for signs and vehicles would be looking for. 

Here are some links from sign warehouse of how the tool works

https://techsupport.signwarehouse.com/shadow-effect/

https://techsupport.signwarehouse.com/using-the-outline-effect/\

And if you look at the astute graphics long shadow, that's basically the same concept.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, just to touch on the "only so much money for development" ....  from google as a report from Adobe "Adobe achieved record annual revenue of $15.79 billion in fiscal year 2021, which represents 23 percent year-over-year growth."  I think they can swing some extra development for a simple tool haha.  Just a smidge.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think they can swing some extra development for a simple tool haha. 

By @tylerc64373945

It's probably not simple.

Illustrator is not their only software.

Just 40 people have voted on it in 4 years.

What you want: opo could do it. It no longer exists, probably because people were not buying it. So much for the high demand this has.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If 40 people take the effort to vote and find their way to Uservoice, the real number will be much larger. Don't forget the amount of people that fake the effect with an enourmous amount of copies with Blending or the Transform effect.

Nobody voted for the new 3D & Materials effect, that development time would have been better spend by improving the existing vector 3D effect.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right Ton?? I guarantee many people don't even know about these forums or the adobe voice site where you can request new features.  We have plenty of "social media" designers in the field and not many practical real world application designers.  So of course the sites will be flooded with people who want things to just be pretty over functional.  Some people don't understand that and live in their own little world.  The new 3d tool was definitely not an upgrade.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a simple tool to create considering it's been in auto cad and sign software since the early 2000s.   Most people probly don't even know these forums exist to be honest.  Guarantee that most people who need the tool just spend a lot of extra time drawing the effect because they think there is no other way.  P.S. the new 3d tool is trash and works as such.  Good day Miss.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@tylerc64373945 

This thought may or may not be helpful. Most of the folks I've met who work for sign companies prefer CorelDRAW over Illustrator. They have a 15-day trial if you have not downloaded it before.

https://www.coreldraw.com/en/product/coreldraw/

Jane

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion Jane, however Corel is crap compared to adobe lol.  I will always choose Adobe.  I just want a simple tool added.  And it's proven it can be added by there being third party plug ins that provide the tool.  However, not everyone wants to spend 150 bucks a year to subscribe to those plug ins.  If many do that then it will catch on "oh, we can make more money by piecing out the software tools rather than putting them under one inclusive roof" then it's a slippery slope to haveing to pay for each different tool in your software's arsenal. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've worked in the sign industry for over 10 years and everyone I know uses Illustrator. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please also post to Uservoice so that Adobe engineers can be made aware of this need.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Larry G. Schneider wrote:

Please also post to Uservoice so that Adobe engineers can be made aware of this need.

He did  — scroll up to see the first part of the thread. 😊

Jane

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They "combined" my idea with the long shadow tool request.  However, like Jane said I did post it there.  Thanks Jane.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is this process using just Illustrator tools https://www.vektorgarten.de/long-shadows-with-illustrator.html (you need to use the "Classic" 3D effects)

Or a plugin by Astute Graphics.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted it to the user voice page just now.  I want simple 1 click, 2 setting shadows like that of FlexiSign 8.1.  There are lots of projects where there isn't a need to draw all the shadows, use the blend tool then delete all the excess nodes, none of that.  I want 30 second extrusions / shadows / outline combos.  Flexi has been doing it for over 15 years.  Adobe still misses the mark.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need the blend function for it.

Te solution I posted can be saved as a graphic style and then adjusted to what you need.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That method is outdated at this point.  The new extrude / bevel tool is mainlined at raster imagery and lesser on vector.  It also doesn't work nearly as smooth as it used to before the update.  Once I click "render as vector" or adjust any of the number settings it takes a good minute to 2 minutes to do it's thing.  It never did that before the update to the new reaster 3d style it has now.  Thanks for the help though.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That method is not outdated. The "Classic" 3D functions are still there and you can use them and they do what you want.

I wouldn't wait for long shadows inside Illustrator. There is a plugin available that does it, so if you need it, just get the plugin.

Just in case you use Figma: there's a plugin for Figma that does it: https://www.figma.com/community/plugin/876352455198080607/oblique

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines