Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add a menu item to context menu (right click menu) in Adobe Illustrator

Explorer ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to add a custom menu item to the context menu (right-click menu) in Adobe Illustrator. I'm wondering if anyone knows if this is possible using either the Adobe Illustrator SDK or ExtendScript, or any other method? If so, could you please share some guidance or resources on how to achieve this?

Thank you!

TOPICS
Feature request , Scripting , SDK , Third party plugins , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Guide , May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Unfortunately, no, there is no way to add menuitems to the Adobe context menus. If you have your panel where you control the UI, yes, but otherwise no.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Hey, thanks for the response.

I have requested for this feature, please go ahead and vote for it.

Link: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/46638691-allow-access-to-add-a-custom-menuitem-to-context-m

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, no, there is no way to add menuitems to the Adobe context menus. If you have your panel where you control the UI, yes, but otherwise no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick response, I appreciate it.

Just to confirm, but we can add Menu Items to the Adobe File Menu Drop Down, right ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can pretty much add a menuitem anywhere in the application menu system. I'm not sure if there are any off-limit spots, but I don't think so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been asking for this too for over 20 years now! I see Astute Graphics has implemented something that appears to use annotations to draw widgets near the cursor when a certain tool is active. That's a brilliant workaround.

Regular menu items are pretty easy to add, including heirarchical menus, pretty much anywhere in the main menu system. Panel flyout menus are also easy to add and use. I agree with you, though, it helps productivity when all the UI you need is in the area you're already looking. Having to take your eyes off your work to search around the screen and then fumble with the mouse takes time and breaks a user's continuity. That time adds up, and custom items in the contextual menu could really help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks for the response.

I have requested for this feature, please go ahead and vote for it.

Link: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/466...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nikhil Bhojwani - You can request the feature here  https://illustrator.uservoice.com/

If you alreday requested, please share the link so that we can add vote for this feature.

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the link, please go ahead and vote for the feature.

Link: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/466...

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I requested this, too, but never got confirmation that the request was approved. Here it is: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/466...

I wonder if now the votes will be divided between the two, making it seem half as popular as it is...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is true, just let me know if you want me to take down mine. 🙂
And maybe while you are at it, you can edit your title and make it a little simple to understand for people who are new to extension development. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see a way to edit the request. 😞

I asked there if there's a way to link or combine the two. In the meantime, it would probably help if people voted for both to make sure we're heard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have asked there too, let's hope for the best. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines