• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding outer border to clipping mask

Enthusiast ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened a map of California. Above it, I placed a yellow rectangle. Above that, I placed a picture of a grizzly bear. Next, I selected everything, then chose Object > Clipping Mask > Make.

I now have a yellow map of California with a picture of a grizzly bear on it.

However, I want to give the map a black border. So I clicked on the image and choose Properties > Stroke > #000000 > 2px. It works, except that it creates a black border around everything.

I want a border around the map itself, but not around the grizzly bear. How can I do that?

Maybe I can ask a related question here ...

Imagine a follow the same procedure to create a map of California with a picture of the state flower on it. This time I do want a border around everything - the map and the flower both. However, I want the border around the state to be 2 pixels, the border around the flower 1 pixel. Is there a way to create distinct borders for different elements in a clipping mask image?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

In the first instance, select the clipping mask only with the white selection tool and apply the stroke.

In the second, double-click on the mask contents to enter isolation mode, and then apply the stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duplicate the the map contur only, apply the stroke. Not everything can be doen with just one instance of an object/ layer.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the first instance, select the clipping mask only with the white selection tool and apply the stroke.

In the second, double-click on the mask contents to enter isolation mode, and then apply the stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On second thought, your first tip isn't working for me. When I select the image with the white selection tool and choose a stroke, it applies the stroke to all the elements. When you wrote "select the clipping mask only," were you suggesting a second step? In other words, I highlight everything with the white selection tool, then I do something else to make sure I'm only selecting the clipping mask? Or does "select clippin mask" imply selecting only one layer of an image? I've been trying different things, but nothing works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Select clipping mask means:

1. Have nothing selected

2. Click once on the path that constitutes the clipping mask only

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines