Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Illustrator (24.0) - Color Halftone Issue

Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello dear Community.

I am trying to convert an image into pixelated one, using the Color Halftone effect, using my Mac version of the Adobe Illustrator 24.0.

To do this, I watched numbers of tutorials on YouTube and blogs but it seems my Illustrator is giving me a different result than the ones shown in the tutorials I have seen.

What I am trying to achieve (and also shown in tutotials) is, the gradation expressed with various sizes of dots.  Darker area with bigger dots, and lighter area with smaller dots.

However, my version of the Illustrator achieves the gradation, using various black-grey-white tones, with identical size dots.

1. What I want to get                                                     2. What I am getting

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 3.57.18 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 3.59.02 PM.png

3. When Settings were done with Max. Radius: 4, All channels: 0

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 4.07.51 PM.png

I have tried numbers of different Settings shown in the tutorials (Image 2. was set to Max. Radius: 20, All four channels set to: 90), regardless they all resulted in something similar to the image on the right.

Can anyone help please?

(Appreciate your times and helps from this community guys~)

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please check first with the values used here. (8px, 45º/45º 45º/45º)

dots.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Federico,

Thank you so much for your help here.

It's very strange...  I just quit application and re-launched the Illustrator and this problem disappeared...   Now it seems to be working fine.  Perhaps it was a bug for using the Illustrator for the first time since its recent 24.0 update?

Taking the chance, it would be great if you can help me with another task I am working on?

I am trying to screenprint the below image :

Swoosh.jpg

As you can see, it has this transition from light grey to yellow which is the reason why I am trying to achieve the color halftone effect to get this effect.

My question is, is Color Halftone the right effect to use in this case?

Not sure if this is relavant but please share your knowledge if you have time!

Really appreciate your help.

Han

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Do you have screen printing experience and print yourself?
Do you understand the relationship between silk screen mesh and optimal screen ruling?

--
Susumu Iwasaki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

Thank you for your time helpin out.

Yes I do have a bit of screenprinting experience making simple graphic tees but never have done anything that has a gradation such as this one.

As I explained above, I am trying to achieve this effect by using the Color Halftone, making a B&W contact sheet to go over the screen.

Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 6.24.38 PM.png

This is my plan for now although I am a bit worried about the optimal Max. Radius point value I should be using to create this Color Halftone image, since if the dot particle size is too small, the screen won't be able to pick up.

However, I am not sure if there are any other methods I can use in Illustrator &/ in Photoshop perhaps to make the gradation smoother perhaps?

Thank your help and please share if you can think of better ways to do this my friend!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2019 Nov 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, I'm sorry, the reply was late.

The following description is an example, There are other ways.

Illstrator creates such a file and saves it for each layer. The reason will be explained later, but gray is shaded and yellow is filled.

1.png

Open each layer in Photoshop. Set Resolution to match the film printer.

2.png

Gray layer is converted to monochrome bitmap.

3.png

Halftone screen frequency is based on silk screen mesh. I think 40-50 lines / inch is suitable for 120-150 mesh.

Select Round or Ellips for Shape.

4.png

This Bitmap file is converted to grayscale.

Marge Channel the two grayscale files.

5.pngConvert the two Alpha channels to Spot Color and set the print color.

7.png

The yellow is printed first, but it is reduced by 0.2 to 0.3 mm so that it does not protrude.

8.png

The central part looks like this.

9.png

Each channel is output with a film printer to create a Silk Screen.

The print should look something like this.

10.png

The reason why I printed yellow first and made gray halftone is that gray is more opaque.

Screen printing inks are often highly saturation are highly transparent.

I'm Japanese, so English may be unnatural

Best,

--
Susumu Iwasaki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably blurred a black fill (you could have use a gradient instead).

Try a lighter gray fill and set the background in Effect > Document Raster Effects Settings to White.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Frederiks,

Thank you for your time and helping me out here friend.

I followed your instruction and it worked just as fine.  I tried again to replicate the 'issue' I previously had and cannot find out what went wrong.

Since the re-launch of the Illustrator resolved the issue, I am guessing it could have been the new software update issue or I must have ticked some setting change and it was reset to normal when the Illustrator was re-launched.

Since that sort of look (gradation shown with black-grey-white particles) could come in handy, I wish I can find out how that 'wrong' effect was achieved.

Please let me know if you actually do!

If not, still thank you so much for your help 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines