• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Illustrator not drawing brush strokes with tablet pen

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got a new tablet (Ugee HK1560) which I've been testing out for a little over a day. On the first day I was setting it up to work with Photoshop and after calibrating etc it all worked fine - pressure sensitivity is working fine across the board.

I switched to Illustrator to ink a sketch (to get those smooth lines that you never seem to get in Photoshop) and I noticed that sometimes when I press down with the pen the create a brush stroke, Illustrator does not draw the stroke at all. The cursor moves with the pen but the stroke does not appear.
It does this every 4 or so brush strokes which is extremely annoying and time wasting. Usuaully when it fails to draw the stroke the first time around - it will fail again 2 or 3 times before finally drawing it. It doesn't seem to matter how hard or lightly pressure is applied - it keeps happening. I thought it might be some disturbance on the screen but when I switched to Photoshop - the lines were drawing fine all over the tablet surface. Switching back to Illustrator and the problem returned.

It's acting like I am not pressing down on the tablet - but when applying the same pressure in photoshop - it draws fine.

Has anyone else experienced this? I don't think It's a hardware issue as it's drawing strokes fine in photoshop. I upgraded from a wacom bamboo and never had this issue in illustrator before.

Any help or tips appreciated

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it draw any path at all?

Does it simply not apply the brush stroke?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got a Lenovo Yoga 720 15 with a Bamboo Ink stylus. I have had the same problem--the cursor follows the stylus, but half the time nothing is drawn. No path is drawn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem with both a Wacom Bamboo AND my Huion GT-220v2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TheRyPepper  schrieb

Having the same problem with both a Wacom Bamboo AND my Huion GT-220v2.

Yours are graphic tablets. This thread is about tablet computers.

Please: create a new thread with your issue. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Huion GT-220v2 is a monitor tablet.... just like the Ugee HK1560 the OP mentioned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, sorry.

So the Brush doesn't even work when you connect the Wacom to your tablet and use it for drawing?

Which system are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, this thread is old but I hope someone pays still some attention to it, since I have the same problem with Illustrator and my Ugee2150. Brush strokes sometimes do not appear, just like mcsheff90 wrote. Has anyone got a solution to this problem? I do not recall to have had the same problem with my previous tablet display (Bosto 22hdx). I have a machine running win 8.1.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Angelo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running windows 8.1 also, and also have a ugee 2150. I just installed and started testing it today and other programs work (photoshop, paint tools sai) but not illustrator.

For me when the pen makes contact with the screen the right-click submenu pops up (no line is drawn). There is no preventing this. I did notice that if I hold down the 2nd button click on the pen (left click) and hover over the screen it will draw a brush stroke, but with no pressure obviously because the pen isn't touching the screen. I've been looking everywhere for a solution, someone please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4 years later and this is still an issue I guess. Hoping to find an answer, but I'm not sure if this thread is even checked anymore, but any solution would be greatly appreciated! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please publish your bug here Adobe Illustrator (uservoice.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am havaing this problem now. I have Illustrator 2022 and Illustrator 2020 and it skips strokes some times with both versions. It shows a circle that represents the brush where I start the stroke and it also shows the brush symbol that is moving with the pen tip. The circle that represents the brush stays where I start the stroke until I finish the stroke and lift the pen, then the circle that represents the brush goes away, while the brush symbol is moving with my stroke but no stroke is being drawn. The brush strokes in Photoshop are fine, they do not skip strokes every once in a while like it does in Illustrator. Illustrator is becoming so annoying because of all the bugs with each new version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem! It was working fine some months ago when I bought my tablet, but now the brush makes 1 line and then I have to try drawing four or five times until it works again, it is SO ANNOYING. Was anyone able to find a solution for it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @camiladqoli,

Sorry to hear about this experience. I would request you try resetting Illustrator's preferences by following the steps shared in this article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html) and sharing your observations.
Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with the defaults. You may take a backup of these settings from the location mentioned in the article.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! It worked when I first opened the app, but as soon as I enabled the options Transform pattern tiles / Scale corners / Scale strokes & effects the problem happened again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone had any luck finding a solution? As I said before, when I resetted the preferences it worked, but as soon as I activated Transform pattern tiles / Scale corners / Scale strokes & effects the problem started happening again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @camiladqoli,

Sorry for the late response. I would request you to try removing and then reinstalling the drivers for your tablet. If you are using a UGEE 2150 Tablet, kindly download the drivers here: https://www.ugee.com/download/470.

Also, try running Illustrator under a different administrator account and check if it makes a difference.

Please update this thread if the issue persists or if you need further assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If somebody's still having a similar issue on a tablet or any other pressure sensing device, just create a new (caligraphic) brush (click on those three lines top-right of brushes panel and select new brush) and change the size from fixed to pressure. Hopefully when using this new brush, the stroke will be visible, at least it solved the issue i was having...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2023 Aug 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am having this issue as well on my convertible laptop. It's an Dell XPS using a Dell Premier Pen. I click and it doesn't draw more than half the time, similar issue with using the select tool it doesn't drag not registering the click on the pen. In touch mode it seems to work better with the brush tool, but still has issues. 

It seems like a software glitch as I haven't had any driver issues, or any problems with the pen in any other software.

I would really like a solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2023 Aug 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Does the pen device rely on Windows Ink Workspace? I would suggest checking the pen device's settings for such a thing. Enabling Windows Ink might allow the pen to work properly. But that might come at a cost of breaking all sorts of other things. I have a Wacom tablet on my home setup. And I keep Windows Ink extremely disabled because I simply cannot stand the disruptive things it does to ruin functions in Illustrator, Photoshop and other applications.

Unfortunately more often than not Windows Ink is a source of problems with pen devices on Windows-based desktops, notebooks and all-in-one computers. IMHO, the folks at Microsoft seriously need to go back to the drawing board with Windows Ink because it just sucks so badly. Honestly, I cannot believe they allowed such horrible behaving software to be unleashed on the general public. I just utterly despise Windows Ink. If I didn't have an iPad Pro and Apple Pencil handy I would be out of luck for drawing artwork with any pressure sensitive effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines