• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After installing El Capitan, right click does not work in Illustrator.

Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2015 Oct 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing El Capitan, right click does not work in Illustrator. Works in Photoshop. I've restarted with no luck. Seems minor but turning into a serious productivity issue.

Anyone else having this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

Hello,

We have fixed this issue in our latest CC 2015.2 update. Please apply the patch using Adobe Creative Cloud application.

If you do not see the patch right away

1. Go to Adobe Creative Cloud application
  2. Click on the Gear icon on the top right
  3. From the menu select “Check for App Updates”

Regards,

Ashutosh Chaturvedi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm having the same issue.

Adobe Illustrator CC 2015.1.0

iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011) 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joen,

I believe the right order/way is to update the OS, then reinstall the applications. Was that how you did it?

If not, it may be best to reinstall using the full three step way (otherwise strange things may linger):

1) Uninstall (ticking the box to delete the preferences),

2) Run the Cleaner Tool, see link below,

3) Reinstall.

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

You may have a go without step 2) and see whether it works.

Also you may need to update drivers (Wacom and others).

It is a recurring issue in the forum.

El Capitan update seems to have broken my right click just in Illustrator.... Any help would be appr...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent all day following those instructions, and Illustrator still won't let me right click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2015 Oct 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simmons,

You may try to uninstall Suitcase until the issue is sorted between Apple and Extensis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have or use Extensis Suitcase. This is a simple issue of not being able to right click in Adobe Illustrator. I uninstalled everything, ran the Adobe CC Cleaner Tool, reinstalled Adobe CC and the apps I use, and I still cannot right click in Adobe Illustrator.

Update: After reading other user comments regarding external monitors (of which I have two) I discovered that when I unplug one of my external monitors, I am again able to right click in Adobe Illustrator. This does not solve the issue, but rather narrows it down to Apple and Adobe with regards to the use of external displays and/or VRAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I concur.  After uninstalling/reinstalling the issue seemed to be fixed but after the problem returned I unplugged my Thunderbolt and it seems to have stabilized.  But this is NOT a long term solution.  Need all my monitors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2015 Oct 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. This is a workaround but I need my other monitors well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the same issue. I have Mac Powerbook 2015 and 4K Dell monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2015 Nov 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So bizarre. Same issue, no right-click in AI, however unplugging my secondary monitor, I was able to right-click again. A temporary fix, but I'll take it. For now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thaks Jacob! This worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, Joen.

A strange and difficult issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2015 Oct 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this works even with a secondary display plugged in? Other users are saying no.

Can this actually be marked as answered if the workaround still isn't working with a secondary display?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2015 Oct 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌proposed answer does not work. Besides, how much valuable time will be spent by thousands of designers on multiple monitors?

indatext.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2015 Oct 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌JAcob's solution worked. Just do not run cleaning tool, remove prefs when uninstalling Illustrator from Creative Cloud app. Clean Trash. Restart after removing, install Illustrator. Plug in second monitor.

SEems repeated session bug also fixed, right click works after 2nd restart too.

I admit, Adobe is not testing our use cases properly, otherwise this weird issue would not appear.

indatext.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2015 Oct 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm testing this out at this moment. I hope this will do the trick... the right-click issue would consume too many hours of my precious working time. I'll let you know if it has helped me out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2015 Oct 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yessss! The solution of @ommunist is the good one! I hope it stays this way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2015 Oct 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use second screen. I was having same issue. I just went single screen. Right click is working now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2015 Oct 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. Workaround is to work on a single monitor.

BUT!

I need all my monitors!

indatext.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2015 Oct 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with Illustrator CC 2015.1.0 and El Capitan on my MBP.

Right Click does not work as soon as an external display (Samsung, tried two different models, one directly via HDMI port the other one via the Thunderbolt-to-DVI-Converter) is connected.

Deleting the Illustrator Settings in

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator 19

works but only for one (1) start of Illustrator so as a workaround I either can't use my big external display or reset my Illu settings completely before every startup.

Both not very feasible.

Please fix this soon, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue...

BUT: After unplugging the second external monitor (connected via HDMI) and just using the first external monitor (connected via Displayport) it works again... for maybe one or two hours. than the same issue with just one monitor connected.

Already opened a Bug-Report-Case at the Adobe Support-Page. But I don't think that I will get back any new ideas, concrete Bug-fix, Patches or something... very bad situation...

Anyone with news regarding to this problems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pixelschubser schrieb:

Anyone with news regarding to this problems?

Please don't post your problems into every available thread. There are dozens of them, but the problem won't get solved any faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, after re-installing and seeing the problem fixed -- after about a week, the problem came back. Tiresome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, after re-installing and seeing the problem fixed -- after about a week, the problem came back. When I'm not using my thunderbolt display (laptop only), I can right-click, but keyboard shortcuts don't work. C'mon Adobe ... this is getting ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2015 Oct 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Monica,

Do you habe an idea when we can expect an update? Has Adobe isolated the basic problem? Are there any news from Adobe or any intermediate result?

My individual Problem: If the only solution is to downgrade to Yosemite I would have to do it very soon, because I don't think that in a few days I cannot get the correct time-Machine Backup/Snapshot anymore.

And our Company-Policy says that we always have to use the latest Software-Releases (in this case the Mac OS).

Thanks for your answer!

Greetz

Sascha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines