• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.ai to .cdr ( illustrator file to corel draw file)

Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2013 Jun 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work in illustrator but my  client needs file in coral draw how can i convert an .ai (adobe illustrator) file to .cdr (Coral Draw file)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't. But Corel Draw CAN import AI, EPS and PDF files.

HOWEVER; all effects like gradients, drop shadows and the like will be rasterized -- they will no longer be editable. Also, any multi-line text may be broken apart into individual chuncks.

--OB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

all effects like gradients, … and the like will be rasterized -- they will no longer be editable.

I do not completely agree with that statement. Draw's .ai import filter has been pretty smart for a long time.

For example, Illustrator gradient fills are usually converted to editable gradient fills in Draw. Even Illustrator gradient mesh objects can be imported as Draw's equivalent mesh objects, still editable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2019 Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Corel Draw 2019. Tried opening an Illustrator EPS with mask and gradients, everything went out of whack. Got really weird rastered objects. Nope.  Don't even try

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2019 Jul 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

angele4087682  schrieb

I'm using Corel Draw 2019. Tried opening an Illustrator EPS with mask and gradients, everything went out of whack. Got really weird rastered objects. Nope.  Don't even try

Don't use EPS for that (or for most other things). EPS is ancient and will ruin most of your stuff on its own.

Just open your AI file in CorelDRAW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2019 Jul 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Followed your advice. Opened the AI file in Corel Draw but I had an even worse result. It turned everything greyscale. Type went missing too. So no go.

I gave up on this conversion. Corel is not the choice for designers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2019 Jul 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post that file somewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2022 and I've had bad experience opening EPS files with gradient fills in Corel 2019 and Corel 2021. The EPS file had the gradient broken into lots of seperate lines. When I imported the original AI files, I could select the gradient and change it in Corel, although my change was to select no fill for the object, and then create the fill I wanted.

When the customer wants cdr files, and you use AI on Apple PC, best bet is to get a modest PC with customers version of Windows and same version of Corel Draw (customer may need to upgrade if they have old version of Corel Draw due to backward compatibilty issues.) In this way you can import the images into Corel Draw and make any corrections that may be needed. It will also help with other PC based customers, who want digital art they can use and modify. Not saying new PC is required, check local service shops for 3 to 4 year old machine and monitor, and ebay for graphics card upgrade if needed. Too risky to convert to cdr without seeing those files the same way the customer will.

I'm working with a Design Company now and have learned  AI -> SVG, WMF, or EMF all have issues. I'm now going to have him just give me the AI files, I import into Corel, fix the text, then batch export to non-propretary SVG and WMF. Yes, WMF is very, very, very old and only 16-bit. But these are simple graphics, grey scale or primary colors -nothing requiring more than 16-bit,  and unlike AI, Corel doesn't hork up the size, or the smoothness of circles when exporting to WMF. I'm dealing with hudreds of illustrations for PowerPoint slides and text books. EPS has been banned from MS Office. So even if EPS pulled into Corel well, I can't use it for PowerPoint slides. EMF (Enhanced Windows Metafile) imports into Office products at the wrong size -I don't want to have to resize hundreds of images.  I'll also batch export to WMF and also SVG, and see how that newer SVG format works out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Raymond26965993n8ct  schrieb:

When the customer wants cdr files, and you use AI on Apple PC, best bet is to get a modest PC with customers version of Windows and same version of Corel Draw

There is a Mac version of CorelDRAW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines