• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Align text by letters instead of text box

Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember that I've seen a tutorial that you can activate an option to make illustrator respect the letters instead of the box to align with other obejcts but I'm not able to find it again. Outlining the text is not an option and I remember that there's no need using the effect > outline way. Can someone help me remembering? Thank you.

matthewb89410448_0-1669945344452.png

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

In the Align palette click on the options flyout icon in the upper right corner. In the fly-out menu choose "Align to Glyph Bounds" and select either Point Text or Area Text from the sub-menu. For the best alignment results I'll usually use a dummy letter like "E" that is squared to the baseline and cap height line and align that to the target object then type out the text I need. Vertical center alignment of text with other objects won't be as accurate with text strings featuring mixed case let

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In the Align palette click on the options flyout icon in the upper right corner. In the fly-out menu choose "Align to Glyph Bounds" and select either Point Text or Area Text from the sub-menu. For the best alignment results I'll usually use a dummy letter like "E" that is squared to the baseline and cap height line and align that to the target object then type out the text I need. Vertical center alignment of text with other objects won't be as accurate with text strings featuring mixed case letters and cap letters whose features extend below the baseline or rise above the cap height line. 

I also like using the new font height options capability for sizing the heights of capital letters. That works pretty well in conjunction with the glyph alignment options. One thing I wish Adobe would add to Illustrator: functions to align and distribute text objects by their baselines. Some rival applications have such functions and that can dramatically speed up text positioning tasks in things like sign designs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines