• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

An Unknown error has occurred

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2007 Nov 20, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I attempt to save a document in Illustrator CS3, in any format, I get a notice that an unknown error has occurred. There is no error number, and nothing happens afterwards. I have tried saving in every different format, and all the same problem, either the error pops up, or nothing at all happens. I have tried trashing the preferences folder, copying over font folders, and just about everything else listed on these forums (that I can find).

I am running Vista Ultimate, and CS3 Master Collection. It's beyond frustrating that I've spent an extreme amount of money on the product, and the best adobe can come up with is reformatting the drive. This has been installed on a drive that was JUST formatted two weeks ago.

Anybody have any further ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2008 Dec 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started having the file save error this week on a system in our company. No Zune installed, turned off everything I can see tha relates to Acrobat in the Start Up tab in MSCONFIG.
Still having a problem.
Is Adobe typically this slow at resolving these types of problems?
Do they monitor the forum at all?

Is there an Adobe fix for this issue yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2008 Dec 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bt,

If it is an Acrobat issue, I am afraid a reinstall/upgrade is needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2008 Dec 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that people are still having problems. Sorry if this just repeats what I wrote above, but it has worked for me.

If you run XP or Vista and have Windows Media Center installed, it will cause you a problem to save if you open it while doing work with Illustrator.

If you pop in a DVD while working, or if Window Media Center starts a recording and you are working on a project in Illustrator, you won't be able to save it unless you,
1. Turn off the Windows Media Center, or DVD Player and
2. Open task manager and disable acrotray.exe.
Then you can save your work in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2008 Dec 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This morning I got the "unknown error" while saving in Ai. Based on post #52 above, I killed the acrotray.exe process using Windows Task Manager, and was then able to save my file without doing anything extraordinary (menu File => Save).

I am also running XP Media Center. Notes:
1) Yesterday I was able to save in Ai.
2) Last night I started Media Center for the first time in a week.
3) This morning I was unable to save in Ai.
4) Killed acrotray.exe and was then able to save in Ai.
4.1) I've noticed that when unable to save in Ai, rebooting fixes that, but of course also destroys my work (since I can't save it before rebooting.) (((Rebooting turns off the Media Center junk until I specifically restart Media Center.)))

thank you Mr Limbocker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 19, 2009 Oct 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same problem. Quite simple artwork file with 2 layers. One minute i saved it, all was good. The next minute i changed the position of one line, and it wouldn't save. I had done absolutely nothing in between these two points except move a line. I don't understand what could possibly go so wrong, and now i can't save it in any way.

The only thing i can do is copy and paste it into a new document, but as doing this pastes everything on the same layer, if i was to have more layers this would be a right pain in the backside to say the least!

Working on Mac os x 10.5.7, Illustrator CS3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2009 Oct 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure Paste Remembers Layers is checked in the Layers panel flyout to move all the selected layers to new same-named layers in a new file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2009 Oct 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is getting extremely frustrating. I am not able to save OR Print anything in Illustrator. When I choose to save I get the message an unknown error has occured. When I print I get Cannot print the document. I've had CS3 for years and haven't had an issue until the recent months. I don't have zune. Tried the acrotray thing but can't find it. I've enabled and disabled the print spooler. I don't use media center. I have turned off PDF compatibility and so that helped my save issue but I still can't print. What the hell is Adobe doing?! Can't wait for my upgrade to Windows 7 to come so I can explore all kinds of fun new problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2010 Sep 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not sure if anyone still following this thread (and shame on Adobe for not listening to their users), but was having this same issue (not being able to save from Illustrator CS3). My platform and apps installed:

- Win XP Pro

- Zune 4.02

- Windows Media Player 11

- Adobe CS3

After reading all your posts, here's what worked for me:

* disable acrotray.exe from starting up!!

None of the other items seem to be preventing Illustrator from saving. Can't tell you how many hours I've wasted trying to figure this out, reading posts, losing data, etc.

@#$%$%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines