• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any Illustrator v25.0.1 later won't open CAD drawings DWG DXF - Getting error 2067 while opening

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've been used to opening vector drawings from Gerber in ai format in Illustrator but since the new update I'm no longer able to open any of these files. I get a dialogue box with options to chose Text or AutoDesk Real DWG, but none of the options work. Selecting the text option just shows garbled text and the AutoDesk Real DWG option produces an error message: The operation could not be completed because of unknown error 2067. Has anyone else had this experience? Does anyone know how to fix this??? Many thanks for your help!

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Hi All,

I understand that some of you have been experiencing difficulties with opening or importing DXF/DWG files in Illustrator. I want to assure you that the product team has worked diligently to resolve this issue.

After careful investigation, it has been determined that the problem is with the DXF/DWG files themselves. They were not created in accordance with the proper file format specifications, and as a result, they are causing errors when attempting to open or import them in Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all the updates suggested but it did not work for me. In the end I had to ask the pattern makers to export pdf files instead of dxf files and I'm able to use those now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe,

There is still no real fix for this issue. I'm on a intel Mac running Illustrator 26.5 and I still can't open a .dwg file without getting the 2067 error. I have to rely on a older version of Illustrator to open these files for.

So once again the request to please look into this problem and fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here ... somehow it was working about a week ago. It might be that there was auto installation of an update, so that might be the reason. 

Do any of you have a workaround to produce AI files out of DWGs so I can somehow continue working?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I understand that some of you have been experiencing difficulties with opening or importing DXF/DWG files in Illustrator. I want to assure you that the product team has worked diligently to resolve this issue.

After careful investigation, it has been determined that the problem is with the DXF/DWG files themselves. They were not created in accordance with the proper file format specifications, and as a result, they are causing errors when attempting to open or import them in Illustrator.
Note: Illustrator uses the latest AutoCAD library licensed from Autodesk to open, import, and export DXF & DWG files.

Please note that the older versions of AutoCAD also experience difficulty with opening these malformed files. If you come across any DXF/DWG files that can be opened in the latest versions of AutoCAD but not in Illustrator, please report this as a separate issue in a new post and share the file with me via DM for further investigation. Our team will do their best to resolve any bugs that may exist.

It's worth mentioning that Illustrator versions 25.1 and below were able to open/import these files because they used a different library, which did not strictly check the DXF/DWG files for conformance. However, due to the lack of support for recent OS upgrades, Illustrator has switched to the latest AutoCAD library from Autodesk for opening, importing, and exporting DXF/DWG files. Unfortunately, the older versions of Illustrator are no longer available in Creative Cloud due to Adobe policy. However, you may try the suggestion in this community post to install an older version.

Additionally, it is important to note that other third-party apps may also export DXF/DWG files using older AutoCAD libraries that may not open in Illustrator. If you encounter such files, please report them to the application that created them for a potential fix in future releases.

Thank you,

Anshul Saini

#Marking as correct for visibility

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be a bit odd, I'm exporting from an Autodesk Product, and I cannot open it in Adobe's Product. That's an Adobe problem. DXF files do have versions. I think explicitly providing a list of the supported versions for DXF would be helpful and give me the information I need to decide if Adobe will continue to be part of my workflow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also had this issue for a long time. What worked for me was to check if the Autocad file has any xrefs or referenced files. If the file has these referenced files I get the error while importing into Illustrator. So just remove the xrefs and try again. Hope this works for you.

Greetings from the Netherlands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @defaulty9jgz9u72n1x @Koen-Schrauwen,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing difficulties exporting your file into DXF format. As I already mentioned, the issue with opening or importing DXF/DWG files has been determined to be with the files themselves not being created in accordance with proper file format specifications. Please share the screenshot of the option you get to save in DXF, and I will check with the team which will work for you.

Also, if your DXF file is opening in the latest version of AutoCAD but not in Illustrator's latest version, then please share the DXF file with us, and we will do our best to assist you.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines