• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Apply transparency to letters in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2015 Apr 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to apply transparency to items on a logo I created. Right now, I've got lettering on a layer above an opaque circle. I'd like the lettering to show through to a transparent background rather than display as a separate color. It might help to think of the logo as an adhesive logo to be attached to a storefront window. Anything in white on the logo should be cut out and show through to the transparent glass behind it.

I tried using a clipping mask, but the circle disappears and its color is applied to the lettering.

Here's the logo. Help much appreciated. logo.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 21, 2015 Apr 21, 2015

JCBOSCO,

You may use an Opacity Mask as follows:

1) Select the letters, which may be live Type or outlined letters, grouped if more than one object, along with the object to make it transparent through;

2) In the Transparency palette flyout click Make Opacity Mask with Clip unticked and Invert Mask ticked.

If you wish the two white circles at the sides and/or the white central parts transparent too, you may just group them with the letters (whish may still be live Type) so they are also selected in

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JCBOSCO,

You may use an Opacity Mask as follows:

1) Select the letters, which may be live Type or outlined letters, grouped if more than one object, along with the object to make it transparent through;

2) In the Transparency palette flyout click Make Opacity Mask with Clip unticked and Invert Mask ticked.

If you wish the two white circles at the sides and/or the white central parts transparent too, you may just group them with the letters (whish may still be live Type) so they are also selected in 1).

You may release the Opacity Mask and edit whatever you like, then reapply.

Keeping the wording as live Type gives you the opportunity to change your mind about it without having to start over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jacob,

Thanks for your quick reply. This may be a stupid question, but earlier I had access to the transparency flyout on my side panel. Now its gone. How do I go about getting it back to follow your attached directions?

Justin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Justin,

There may be some corruption or something. You may try the list (you may skip 5) in this connexion, I believe).

The following is a general list of things you may try when the issue is not in a specific file, and when it is not caused by issues with opening a file from external media. You may have tried/done some of them already; 1) and 2) are the easy ones for temporary strangenesses, and 3) and 4) are specifically aimed at possibly corrupt preferences); 5) is a list in itself, and 6) is the last resort.

If possible/applicable, you should save current artwork first, of course.

1) Close down Illy and open again;

2) Restart the computer (you may do that up to at least 5 times);

3) Close down Illy and press Ctrl+Alt+Shift/Cmd+Option+Shift during startup (easy but irreversible);

4) Move the folder (follow the link with that name) with Illy closed (more tedious but also more thorough and reversible), for CS3 - CC you may find the folder here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/preference-file-location-illustrator.html

5) Look through and try out the relevant among the Other options (follow the link with that name, Item 7) is a list of usual suspects among other applications that may disturb and confuse Illy, Item 15) applies to CC, CS6, and maybe CS5);

Even more seriously, you may:

6) Uninstall (ticking the box to delete the preferences), run the Cleaner Tool (if you have CS3/CS4/CS5/CS6/CC), and reinstall.

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 4.15.31 PM.png

Jacob,

I am attempting to follow your instruction here... You will notice the "P" in Group is the only one that has become transparent.. why is this?

I want the inside of the "A", "O", "e" and so on to be transparent.

Let me know what I am doing wrong..

Thanks!

- Joey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joey,

As far as I can see, you are trying to do the opposite, namely to have the contents of the Group show (the rest of the background object hidden) rather than punch holes in the background object as in the OP. This means you should have Clip ticked in the Opacity Mask (unticked for holes to be punched).

Apart from that, your screenshot seems strange, as if the left part in the Transparency windows shows an Opacity Mask already instead of the background object (and Clip shows as unticked).

Are you using black or white (like in the OP) for the Group?

If you are using black, you should have Invert Mask ticked (as shown in your screenshot), if you are using white, you should have Invert Mask unticked.

Is the text live Type (grouped with the upper right surroundings of the partial house shape), or is it outlined Type, in other words uneditable paths?

Are those troublesome counters actually filled with white if you look closely at them on a transparent background (just by themselves without the background object), either/both as live Type and as outlined? This might indicate fonts that are less than excellent.

It is hard to tell for sure whether you are doing something wrong, or Illy is (she is always eager to help, but sometimes she moves in mysterious ways).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, THANK YOU SO MUCH for this. I'd been trying to do this for almost 3 days. Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are welcome, Maryam.

The Apply transparency to letters thread lives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! I had my inside of the letters as transparent and I had to change them for white to make it work. Thanks for the help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, Karley.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 4.15.31 PM.png

Jacob,

I am attempting to follow your instruction here... You will notice the "P" in Group is the only one that has become transparent.. why is this?

I want the inside of the "A", "O", "e" and so on to be transparent.

Let me know what I am doing wrong..

Thanks!

- Joey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work for me. The text still comes out white when I export as PNG. I still have to clear the text using wand in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

This did not work for me. The text still comes out white when I export as PNG. I still have to clear the text using wand in PS.

Please show your artwork and the layer panel (opened, so paths are visible)

And then describe what you have done and what you expect to work. We can't read your mind or see what's on your screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just used an alternative program with a simple tool to knockout the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines