• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Asset export - i need .ai export and i need SVG with decimal 7 (not 5)

Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone extend the capabilities of Illustators Asset Export. The thing is i have alot of icons drawn pixel perfect in 44 x 44 px - each on their own named artboard. I need these exported as .ai files for print and i need them exported as SVG´s - I can export as SVG as it is now - but i can only export SVG with a decimal precision of 5 and this is not high enough for me to get good quality (becasue they are drawn this small) i need a decimal setting of 7. Is this something you can program ?

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Okay ... i upgraded to 2023 - now it works ! 15 is the max. value.
Thanks for the input i got.  I would still like to be able to export AI files though 🙂  But mb i can convince the client that PDF is a better choice.  But we are talking over 300 icons in multiple color version - for both print and web. Thats why i would like i working as smooth as possible before we start.

br,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For print: are you really sure you absolutely need SVG?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SVG for web  and .ai for print !  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exporting first RGB -  change color mode - change colours - then export CMYK !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you are exporting SVG (which is RGB AND you risk changes in the artwork itself) just for the sake of having each graphic on its own artboard? Can you please tell us about your workflow? The complete one which involves the layout process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't seem to have any trouble setting more than 5 in Asset Export. I set 8 here and checked in Chrome:

DougARoberts_0-1670582138546.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But try TAb out of the number field - then it goes to 5 ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't for me. This is the exported SVG in Chrome:

DougARoberts_0-1670582556599.png

What OS and AI version are you using? Can you share a screenshot of your export settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well mb it works on your system - here it jumps back to 5 !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK thats vere odd !!!  I am on a Imac  - latest version of Illustrator !  I will see if its the same on other Macs here !  Then part two of the question ! .ai export - any ideas how to get away with this.  I KNOW you can save an .ai to mulitple artboards - BUT the problem is every file keeps alle the graphics on all the artboards - so i cant use that technique. Would just like to have that as an option in asset export.  I mean it should be an option when export many logo files and icons used for print ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you reset preferences and see if that solves your decimals issue?

Why not export PDFs for print?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reset did not change it: 5 is max here !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.... and the client want .ai !   Which i assume is better than PDF - since real transparency will be understood in Indesign fx .... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.... and the client want .ai !   Which i assume is better than PDF - since real transparency will be understood in Indesign fx .... 

By @Majkeinar

Indesign imports the PDF side of AI files anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @Majkeinar

The client for sure won't favour an AI that has been altered by first saving as SVG.

PDF supports transparency pretty well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the AI would not be from SVG - i would ofcourse export both from the original Illustrator file !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a screenshot of your export settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Majkeinar_0-1670584703293.png

... then jumps to 5 !

Majkeinar_1-1670584729164.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just leave that SVG alone for this purpose.

But apart from that: which version of Illustrator is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2022 - i will try upgrade to 2023 (i thought i updated the other day but did not)  i hope i fixes it !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay ... i upgraded to 2023 - now it works ! 15 is the max. value.
Thanks for the input i got.  I would still like to be able to export AI files though 🙂  But mb i can convince the client that PDF is a better choice.  But we are talking over 300 icons in multiple color version - for both print and web. Thats why i would like i working as smooth as possible before we start.

br,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As Doug already said: InDesign imports PDF anyway. InDesign cannot read AI, it imports the embedded PDF.

This is how Illustrator saves files: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpDh8Y7q8yE 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines