• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best way to delete everything outside of a circle in a large editable PDF?

Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have bunch a large editable PDFs with which I am only trying to use a small portion of. They are vector topographical maps with millions of anchor points, and is therefore slowing down my computer immensely.

What would be the easiest way to put a circle around a certain portion of the map, and delete everything outside of that circle? I haven't been having much luck with the pathfinder panel or eraser tool.

TOPICS
Draw and design , Performance , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if clipping mask doesnt work with you, you can try a trick i used to do, select with direct selection tool the anchor points or an area you need, lock selection with  CMD/CTRL 2 , select all and delect the rest objects that are not locked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure how well the clipping mask will work for this application, as Illustrator and RDWorks aren't the best at communicating with each other. I'm will ultimately be using a laser cutter to engrave some wood, and I don't think RDWorks can handle a clipping mask properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in which application you want to do this task???! i thought in adobe illustrator!

you can open the pdf on illustrator and edite.. either clipping mask or delete unwanted anchors as i mentioned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Example 1 - Area I want to crop

Example 2 - Outline mode with tons of anchor points

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use a script for this task, see here

https://alexbruni.ru/youtube2images/video.php?v=liui0ZUAN50

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is awesome! I've always wondered about something like this. I will give it a shot and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I tried that plugin but it froze my computer multiple times. I think the file is just way too big and complex for this to work. That said, I have definitely saved the plugin for future use! Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jerry,

this is a frequently requested task. Unfortunately, there is no panacea to get the desired results. Depends on what kind of objects the file actually contains and what attributes should definitely be preserved when doing the crop operations.

Can you share a sample Illustrator file, as per your first screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, here you go! The file was too big to upload, so here is a Dropbox link instead:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2zqdl81s4n7r2y9/CO_Pikes_Peak_20191004_TM_geo.pdf?dl=0

I'm trying to preserve the stroke lines of everything as they make up the majority of the map.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the sample file, Jerry.

Currently, I don't think that any kind of script can process this file reasonably (while retaining all object attributes).

Can you perhaps provide the same sample file again, but this time marking the exact area that has to be cropped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You bet! I will get that uploaded after lunch in about an hour and a half.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to simply the art somewhat.

This is my end product:

image.png

Here is an Outline view of the edited file vs the original (I tried to keep them at relative sizes):

image.png

I brought the PDF into InDesign and printed it to the Adobe PDF driver. Not the best workflow, but it worked. Basically, anything that was showing up inside the crop area stayed intact. I tried cropping it and removing hidden data in Acrobat but the image rasterized (an old bug).

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jerry, I hope the lunch was delicious.

How about the file you were going to provide?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think he did. It was focused around pikes peak. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines