• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bitmap in Illustrator Not Working

New Here ,
May 16, 2024 May 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an adobe illustrator file that has a bunch of bitmaps that I am using. I recently re-opened the file and now I can no longer change the color of the bitmaps in the file. Image trace is not working because it is not giving an acurate depiction of a file that was once crisp and clean. 

I can't find anything on the internet about this that is helpful. Has this every happened to anyone else?

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jul 16, 2024 Jul 16, 2024

Hi @PaulFromThe90s_ and AniSomi

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. As mentioned on the UserVoice page shared by Ton, we have been able to replicate this issue on our machines and are actively working to fix it in upcoming versions. In the meantime, please try the workaround suggested by @defaultaye8ay10sliw to install the previous version.

We're here to help!

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 16, 2024 Jul 16, 2024

You don't need to revert to a previous version untill this is fixed.

Check the Control panel for the resolution, you will see that Illustrator thinks that the BMP file is an RGB file.

In this case the resolution is 600 ppi.

Use this resolution in Object > Rasterize and select a transparent Bitmap.

After clicking OK  you can colorize it.

01.png

02.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Community Expert , May 24, 2024 May 24, 2024
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After looking more, NONE, of my bitmaps are working in adobe illustrator. Just a few days ago I was having no problem. Super confused!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these .bmp files? The latest version has a problem with those.

Try resaving/replacing them as .psd or tiff or install an older version (27. x/AI 2023) to edit those Illustrator files. You do not need to uninstall the current version, you can have multiple versions installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the exact same issue and thought it was my old iMac that was causing it. I've seen the reply below, so will have a go using an older version of Illustrator. Not really good enough when we pay a monthly subscription to use Adobe's latest products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2024 May 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2024 Jun 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  Stepping back to an older version of Illustrator - v. 28.4.1 - solved the issue for me.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2024 Jul 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES! I am having this issue too - my files no longer work. I think they have messed up the function in an update - Adobe please fix this problem. Do you know how to notify them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2024 Jul 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to the UserVoice link above, you can vote. You will also see that Adobe is aware of the problem and is going to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2024 Jul 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues. I have a work around though, it's slightly more of a pain. Make sure your Image>Mode is set to Grayscale and that you do not have a background. Save as a TIFF (Save Transparency in the TIFF options). Place it into Illustrator and change the colour to whatever you want but you will need to change that colour to a Spot Colour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 16, 2024 Jul 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @PaulFromThe90s_ and AniSomi

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. As mentioned on the UserVoice page shared by Ton, we have been able to replicate this issue on our machines and are actively working to fix it in upcoming versions. In the meantime, please try the workaround suggested by @defaultaye8ay10sliw to install the previous version.

We're here to help!

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2024 Jul 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to revert to a previous version untill this is fixed.

Check the Control panel for the resolution, you will see that Illustrator thinks that the BMP file is an RGB file.

In this case the resolution is 600 ppi.

Use this resolution in Object > Rasterize and select a transparent Bitmap.

After clicking OK  you can colorize it.

01.png

02.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2024 Aug 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank You!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines