• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I Change file extension to PDF, EPS in order to change the file type? IL 2024, Mac,

Enthusiast ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I always save my illustrator files (with vecotr content) with the option "Create PDF Compatible File". Somewhere over the years I read that I can simply change the extension to PDF in order for the file to open in Acrobat. It always worked for me. I could then open it in Illustrator, Acrobat or place it in InDesign.

Toaday I tried to change the file extesion to EPS, it worked too. I could then open the file in Illustrator, Photoshop or place it in InDesign.

I'm now woder, if my IL files are saved with the compatible option, is changing the extesion is the same as "Save as" or Export? 

Thank you,

Shlomit

TOPICS
How-to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

I  would not do that, especially not renaming to an outdated format like .eps

As far as opening an Illustrator file in Acrobat, if it was saved with PDF compatibility you can alway right click to open with Acrobat. I would only use the renaming trick in emergency cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

They could be considered similar although your have alot more output options when Exporting a file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I  would not do that, especially not renaming to an outdated format like .eps

As far as opening an Illustrator file in Acrobat, if it was saved with PDF compatibility you can alway right click to open with Acrobat. I would only use the renaming trick in emergency cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines