• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I create a 360 Degree 3D Model in Illustrator and exporting as OBJ file

Participant ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far I've created a 3D Atom character by drawing shapes and using inflate to add depth, but that only works on the front side of the character and for now, the back is flat. Now I need to duplicate, reflect and place a copy behind it in order to have a full model. I can't figure out how to place a copy behind and rotate my view so that I can edit it. And since Photoshop discontinued its 3D options, I need to find a way to export this as an OBJ file shomehow in order to bring it into After Effects to animate it. Any tips or ideas is appreciated.

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.PNG

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can build the single parts.

But you cannot export them as one model. You will have to assemble that somewhere else.

You can make this in Illustrator and export single OBJs (also, they won't have any mapping)

Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-27 um 01.57.58.png

But this has to be done in a 3D app (I did it in Substance Stager)

Mac-SE.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see now. It was still a good learning process for my Illlustrator path drawing skills but I'm starting over in Blender to get off on the right foot. Adobe's 3D software isn't as intuitive for me and is spread out in multiple programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone who knows better than I do can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that to get what you are looking for requires a bona fide 3D app. There's just no way in Illustrator to properly align and link multiple objects, and to rotate and light them as a unit. And it seems that there will always be a visible seam between front and back objects, even if you align them to your satisfaction.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really. A classic case of where you need to learn how to do it in a real 3D program like Blender or Cinema 4D.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah I'm working with Blender to model then > After Effects + Element 3D to animate and touch up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines