Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I get help?

Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

스크린샷(36).png

I tried to imitate a halftone effect like the eye on the left, but it ended up with black spots like the result on the right and ended up in a very different shape. Is there a way?

TOPICS
Draw and design , Feature request , How-to , Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

First lets confirm am understanding your question correctly.

Looks to me like you are desiring to fil the dots group with a gradient from light purple to dark purple, but instead are getting all the dots filed with dark purple. That does not match the example on left where the dot size varies more to give the idea of a gradient getting darker at the top right.

I would remove all groups and fiulss adn mask. Then make a group of teh dots filed with none. Add a gradient at the group level. Wil be

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

Make two rows of dots.

Group each of them

Object > Blend > Make

Double click the blend tool

Make a clipping mask

Like this?

https://youtu.be/B2so6LSDO_w 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop creates those rasterdots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response! But I'm worried that it's not a vector when I work in Photoshop..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I misunderstood and thought you were talking about the way rhe rasterdots were different in your example.

Autotrace can do a good job when the image has sufficient resolution.

Here is the difference between Illustrator dots (left) and Photoshop dots:

Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 18.32.29.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First lets confirm am understanding your question correctly.

Looks to me like you are desiring to fil the dots group with a gradient from light purple to dark purple, but instead are getting all the dots filed with dark purple. That does not match the example on left where the dot size varies more to give the idea of a gradient getting darker at the top right.

I would remove all groups and fiulss adn mask. Then make a group of teh dots filed with none. Add a gradient at the group level. Wil be much quicker as your computer having a gradietn annotator for each dot will slow your computer.

Screen Shot 2024-04-17 at 8.57.22 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could have been cumbersome
but thank you so much for explaining it in such detail..

thank you so much
I salute you
thank you for your kindness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make two rows of dots.

Group each of them

Object > Blend > Make

Double click the blend tool

Make a clipping mask

Like this?

https://youtu.be/B2so6LSDO_w 

Uploaded by Vektorgarten - Illustrator Tutorials on 2024-04-17.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG! 
Did you make the video yourself?
I'm sorry to bother you because of me
what you told me was a great help
thank you for your kindness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome and I'm glad I could help you. If you want to further experiment with this you can apply different colors to the circles and see if this is useful for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is actually a radial gradient.  Not sure what size you are working at, but my approach is a little old school.  In Illustrator, create a circle, say 2.5" in diameter.  For your fill, use the radial gradient using black & white.  Set the black for approximately 80-85%, the white to around 20%.  Use the gradient tool to adjust the fill to go the way it appears in your sample ( sorry, offline so cannot show you screenshots ).  Open the gradient in Photoshop at 150ppi grayscale.  Use image > convert > 1-bit > halftone > shape = round > frequency around 25 LPi ( lines per inch ) > save as .tif > place in Illustrator and paint it purple over a light purple circle 2.5".  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest and most clean way to create vector halftone effects like that in Adobe Illustrator is by using Astute Graphics' Phantasm plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2024 Apr 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you! When I looked into it, I found that it had a variety of functions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's a pretty cool plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator used to create vector halftones, it would be a great tool if the geniuses brought it back.  Otherwise, it will require a third-party plug-in to achieve.  The gradient is set to "radial" to add to the illusion of roundness.  My 1-bit halftone is something that possibly could be traced, thereby converting it ( the file ) back to vector.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the advice. It helped me a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines