• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can someone convert this PNG to a Vector (AI file)?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just have the 2 images below, that need converting to an AI file, which can very quickly & easily be done automatically, using the "retrace" function in Adobe Illustrator. Only reason I ask is I no longer have Illustrator myself.

Please remember to preserve the transparent background!

Thanks in advance, images are below;

_imgur (1).png_imgur (2).png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Actually, Image Trace works quite well (if you don't know how to use the pen tool for this).

The final trace can be cleaned up a bit more by using "Object>Path>Simplify".

Why are you asking for someone to do it for you? Do you have AI? You mention you've done it in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, those cannot be traced automatically. The result will be an absolute mess.

It would be best to search for a graphic designer and pay them to do this manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I believe to option in Illustrator is called "image trace", rather than "retrace" as I said earlier.

Yes it can be done automatically in Illustrator, it's only 2 colours & is made of basic shapes so is well suited to the image trace function.

I have done it previously, and it turned out perfectly.

Not quite sure what you mean by it would be an absolute mess?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TheBigHeavy  schrieb

Not quite sure what you mean by it would be an absolute mess?

You won't get straight lines where there should be straight lines.

You won't get equal white space between the shapes where it should be of exact equal width.

The typesetting will be awful with not two same letters being the same geometry.

This shall symbolize quality, I assume?

And you will make money with it?

So please pay the artist to have a logo that is of sufficient quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i did it with no problem i don't know what people talking about illustrator can't do it lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the result is OK for you?

Good luck with that.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-07-14 um 22.42.54.png

Bildschirmfoto 2017-07-14 um 22.42.16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

see, but i do agree its not perfect... but you can get pretty close, there are some clean up work that need to be done now that i look at it.

Screenshot 2017-07-14 13.52.54.png

Screenshot 2017-07-14 13.54.51.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2017 Jul 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original poster said no Illustrator. So no cleanup. But is this forum really for helping people avoid paying for Illustrator...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i never said i sent the file that i made to him i just wanted to see if i could do it, and i can vectorized it just never sent it lol.

just get the trail versions if you don't have it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip@K2  wrote

but you can get pretty close, there are some clean up work that need to be done...

That's the thing. That diamond graphic is a perfect example of something which is better traced manually. "Some clean up" of the auto-trace starts from a horribly imprecise basis and gets done by eye, discretely piece by piece, whereas just redrawing and positioning the simple, repeatable, reflect-able shapes from scratch offers an opportunity to quickly and methodically make the shapes and spacing exactly uniform as they should be. In fact, I know without a doubt I could produce a better result manually in less time than auto-trace/some-cleanup, especially considering I'd never be satisfied with the "cleaned up" result.

It's my opinion that routine use of auto-tracing has no real place in a professional workflow,* and it's not just a feeling; it's based on many failed attempts to produce a marketable result through subsequent "cleanup," and finding in every instance that the cleanup task and its result were not worth the time it would take vs. tracing manually. No brand logo trace result should ever be deployed as a final product.

* I will admit there are exceptions, mostly in the area of hand-drawn art or hand-written text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also try some online tools. Just Google "png to vector online" or something like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, do you have any recommended tool I should use?

Have tried a few in the past, but wasn't impressed with the results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I have no recommendations. I used a few in the past too and the results were quite decent.

However Monika Gause​ is right about the output quality. Eventhough the quality is decent, you will still need to do some manual adjustments to fix the issues here and there.

I think the bigger the PNG you provide the better the output quality will be. (Just assuming this).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There will be so many issues that drawing manually absolutely makes more sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use image trace just for the objects. Use generons font for the social media icons. For the typeface insert the png with the type to photoshop and use the match fonts feature!

than combine it to one image in Illustrator!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, Image Trace works quite well (if you don't know how to use the pen tool for this).

The final trace can be cleaned up a bit more by using "Object>Path>Simplify".

Why are you asking for someone to do it for you? Do you have AI? You mention you've done it in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Install a trial version of the software.

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion @Mario_Arizmendi , the website you recommended was pretty good, but not quite perfect.

rcraighead​ - No, I don't have Illustrator right now. Yes, have used it in the past (was the free trial), and used it to convert some PNGs to AIs a while back.

However, there's been some problems, so I've had to go and alter the original image (the PNG), which now needs to be re-converted back to AI. Problem is, the trial has since run out, so I can't go back and convert it.

I'm not a graphic designer, and have no use for a vector graphics program; so it would be pretty pointless to buy the license to Illustrator, just to do a couple of images now, and never use it again.

postrophe​ - Thanks for the suggestion, but have already installed the trial, so doubt it would let me do so again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your welcome

I think you don't have to buy an illustrator license at all, may be you can use some of the good Vector programs free like some in  this article

20 Vector Graphics Editors Reviewed – Smashing Magazine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download Inkscape, and trace it in Inkscape? No need for Illustrator if you only require a quick vector trace.

Drag image into Inkscape window, then hit <SHIFT ALT B>. Use these settings:

trace.png

And confirm by clicking OK. Done. Delete the image object, and perhaps do some clean-up - but in this case cleanup wasn't necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

If you feel more confortable in illustrator, you can take a plan and cancel within 14 days.

If you cancel an annual membership (paid monthly) within 14 days of your order, you will receive a full refund.

Cancel your Creative Cloud membership

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines