Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't do color separation : options always grayed out

Contributor ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

the title is self-explanatory, I need to do color separation for t-shirt design but options in the panels I need are always grayed out. It's happens to jpgs, vectors, pngs and so on.

I'm working with AI CC 2015 on Win 7. Thanks in advance for your precious help to fix this critical issue.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Illustrator is a vector editing app, your files are raster files.

You might want to tell us which options you need.

And show screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

You can create separations by printing to a PostScript file and use the Distiller PPD that can be found here:

Save as PDF errors and issues in InDesign, Illustrator (Mac OS)

In the Illustrator Print dialog choose: Printer > Adobe PostScript File.

For PPD select: Other and choose the Distiller PPD: ADPDF9.PPD

Then you are able to select: Mode > Separations (Host Based) in the Output tab.

You can save the PostScript file and use the Acrobat Distiller to create the separated PDF.

But...

It will be a gray

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator is a vector editing app, your files are raster files.

You might want to tell us which options you need.

And show screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I said even vectors files, not only jpg, png and so on. I know what's app is AI.

I seen a tutorial and I need in the General print menu at the voice printer the option Adobe PDF. How and where can I get it ?

As you can see between printer options ( Stampante ) there isn't and I need to install or something  the option Adobe PDF in order to appear there. As you can see it's a simple vector compostion made of simple vector shapes as instance to show it doesn't work not only with raster files but even with vector ones.

color separation.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you want to print separations to a PDF?

Saving a Composite PDF is not sufficient?

Does this help:

Print to PDF

Using the Adobe PDF printer, Acrobat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create separations by printing to a PostScript file and use the Distiller PPD that can be found here:

Save as PDF errors and issues in InDesign, Illustrator (Mac OS)

In the Illustrator Print dialog choose: Printer > Adobe PostScript File.

For PPD select: Other and choose the Distiller PPD: ADPDF9.PPD

Then you are able to select: Mode > Separations (Host Based) in the Output tab.

You can save the PostScript file and use the Acrobat Distiller to create the separated PDF.

But...

It will be a grayscale document that does not contain halftone dots, your printer needs to support printing halftone dots if you want to print anything else than flat solid colors.

The direct download for the PPD:

Acrobat 9 PPD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you click on Output to see if Separations was an option? The next selection below Generale is Output. There should be an option for Composite verses Separations. If not you need to select a printer which allows postscript output.

Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 12.34.19 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did it, the only option I can choose in Output panel is Emulsion, all the other options are grayed out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Printing separations is a PostScript function, make sure you buy a PostScript-capable printer if this is your work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Showing, I think, you haven‘t selected a PostScript device. Certainly the case in your original screen shot, an XP-332 isn’t a press tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's a simple home printer All-in-one so I need to find a way without it. In the end I only need to do Color separation I don't need to print it I just have to send the files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

slam629  schrieb

No, it's a simple home printer All-in-one so I need to find a way without it. In the end I only need to do Color separation I don't need to print it I just have to send the files

Please post the file specification the printer gave you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Truth be told I was applying for a freelance job opportunity where they ask to send color separation files and before applying I wanted to learn how to do, I already did several jobs like these sending always PNG files

Anyway there is a problem with forum adobe because when I type this page come back to the top. Indeed I'm writing on word right now and copy paste on the forum.It's happening only on this site. Never happened before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

slam629  wrote

In the end I only need to do Color separation I don't need to print it I just have to send the files

In that case, try my suggestion in reply 4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know its late, but i was facing the same problem with a client file. I changed the Document color mode to CMYK and got the separations preview to work.

File>Document Color Mode>>CMYK

Window>Separations Preview

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was it. omg thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Realise thsi sis an old post but  i cant get the CMYK  File to  Print  Seperations to PDF ?

help 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Melgraphix   Realise thsi sis an old post but  i cant get the CMYK  File to  Print  Seperations to PDF ?  help ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you elaborate? What problem are you facing? at what point? do you get an error message or are your options liminted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello there
Did yo find the correct answer ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines