Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Finish Previewing

May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that this problem has been discussed here before, but I couldn't find a solution that works for me.

I have an illustration of many objects that were created using the image traced. I am trying to select all these objects to create a pattern out of them, but when I am doing so I keep getting this message:

"Can't finish previewing. Could not complete the requested operation."

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Deleted User
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Finally, i got solution of this
i have same issue and pressed Ctrl+E key and then my issue fixed
to fix this just press the Ctrl+E key,

it's fixed, enjoy

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Hi Anshul,

I think clossing all other running applications helped me to somehow complete that project. 

Thanks for the revert.

Syrus

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

I ran into this problem too and finally found the issue.  It was a short (128px by 1px), line with no fill and no stroke.  When I deleted it, everything was back to normal.  When I pasted the offending line in a new doc, the same "Can't finish previewing. Could not complete the requested operation." warning came up whenever I tried to leave outline mode. 

I found it by hiding everything, going into any non-outline view mode, and then revealing chunks at a time until I isolated and eliminated the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version?

Which system?

Which hardware (especially RAM)

How many paths and how many points are there in the artwork?

Any additional effects?

Transparency?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version?

Illustrator CC

Which system?

macOS Sierra Version 10.12.6

Which hardware (especially RAM)

RAM 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Many, as the artwork is a result of Image Trace, and there are lots of copies of these objects in the same file.

Any additional effects?

No

Transparency?

No

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

reema20189837  schrieb

Many, as the artwork is a result of Image Trace, and there are lots of copies of these objects in the same file.

WHich might just be too much.

You can have them counted with the Document info panel. Set it to "Objects"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attached an image of what I got.

Screen Shot 2018-05-30 at 5.34.47 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now, I have another document which was just working fine, poping slightly the same message  "Can't finish previewing, there isn't enough memory"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try a restart (at least Illustrator) to clear up RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this. Illustrator worked fine at the beginning, but then it started to crash every now and then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which Image Trace Method you have applied?. Try to chose low colors methods to reduce the amount of created paths and anchor points .But it depends on your task

Also you can use Live Paint.method and then expand object for creating new objects. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 18, 2019 Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just come across this wanring after updating to 23.1

I've never seen it before and the illustration I'm looking at isn't any more complex than others I've opened.

FYI, the image is opened via Acrobat Pro, something I do a lot without ever having this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried saving-off the file to see if that would help, I got a warning "Unknown error occurred" 😠

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using a script that imports multi-page PDFs worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was getting the same error. I noticed that primarliy when the issue did not prevail, my internet connection was on but when i started getting the undesired notification, the internet was off. It is due to the fact when you have not signed in to Adobe Suite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally, i got solution of this
i have same issue and pressed Ctrl+E key and then my issue fixed
to fix this just press the Ctrl+E key,

it's fixed, enjoy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This wolution dint work for me.

SYRUS_KG_0-1669720140973.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solotion dint work for me, is there any other update for this issue.

SYRUS_KG_0-1669720292415.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @SYRUS_KG,

Thanks for reaching out and trying the step. This generally happens when there is not enough RAM or GPU VRAM available for Illustrator to create a preview of the document. Would you mind closing other apps running in the background and seeing if that helps? Additionally, if there are multiple artboards in the file, then would you mind checking if saving each artboard to a separate file helps or not?

Anshul_Saini_0-1670362475386.png

If this doesn't help, would you mind confirming your system specification and sharing the file with us? We'll check on our end and share our observations with you.

Kindly update the discussion if you still need assistance with it. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul,

I think clossing all other running applications helped me to somehow complete that project. 

Thanks for the revert.

Syrus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear that closing background apps helped, @Eric27175746omn0. Please feel free to reach out if you run into any other questions or issues in the future. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue after looking at solutions i tried putting all my work into the atrboard becuase i had things allo over the place and i was going to transfer it to a new file and putting everything in the artboard worked! Thank you for the idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into this problem too and finally found the issue.  It was a short (128px by 1px), line with no fill and no stroke.  When I deleted it, everything was back to normal.  When I pasted the offending line in a new doc, the same "Can't finish previewing. Could not complete the requested operation." warning came up whenever I tried to leave outline mode. 

I found it by hiding everything, going into any non-outline view mode, and then revealing chunks at a time until I isolated and eliminated the saboteur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me it was a simple triangular shape that I pasted in from an other file. After inadvertantly removing stroke & fill, suddenly everything went wireframe. Deleted the shape and everything went back to normal. Was able to re-paste shape back in to new file with a fill with no issues. Very weird bug.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had a corrupted shape in document. Slowly deleted one object by one starting from the most recent ones i remember adding. After each deleted object test the "ctrl+y" or "View -> preview". If it shows the error then delete the next shape until the error is not shown, then just "ctrl+z" back and then just delete the one corrupted object.
For me it was envelope warped text with an outline that caused this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines